Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure games Point & Click and all things PC games

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-)

Go down 
+8
mindysue
tsampikos
Draclvr
hatshepsut
Faust
AlienBZ
winfrey
Gelert
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Gelert
Admin
Adventurer Extraordinaire
Gelert

NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-) Empty
PostSubject: NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-)   NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-) EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 5:52 pm

Use this thread to post about everything you've bought to do with Adventure game playing other than ACTUAL games.

Post about actual ADVENTURE GAME acquisitions in the Spend, Spend, Spend !!! thread please.

Thanks.

Gelert flower

Last edited by Gelert on Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:48 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://adventurepoint.co.uk
winfrey
Daredevil Pioneer
winfrey

NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-) Empty
PostSubject: Re: NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-)   NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-) EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 8:52 pm

This is not a new purchase... but I did buy a Dell laptop XPS M1730 from the Dell outlet store... I have had it for a number of years now and it serves me just fine. I play mostly adventure games so the video card works well. I know there have been some problems with this card in Dell laptops but fortunately I have had none. I prefer a desktop but with the traveling I do I need a laptop.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/winfreysgames/
AlienBZ
Daredevil Pioneer
AlienBZ

PostSubject: Re: NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-)   NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-) EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 9:51 pm

winfrey wrote:
This is not a new purchase... but I did buy a Dell laptop XPS M1730 from the Dell outlet store... I have had it for a number of years now and it serves me just fine. I play mostly adventure games so the video card works well. I know there have been some problems with this card in Dell laptops but fortunately I have had none. I prefer a desktop but with the traveling I do I need a laptop.

Oooo, your laptop sounds nicer than mine, Winfrey. Mine is a Dell XPS M1530, specs are:

Processor Type: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Processor Configuration: Dual Core Premium
Memory (RAM): 4 GB
Hard Drive Capacity: 200 GB - upgraded (by me) to 300 GB
Screen Size: 15.4 inches
Operating System: Windows Vista Home - downgraded (by me) to XP Home
Optical Drive: DVD+/-RW

While accessing my ebay purchases archives and attempting to make the ebay page show up so I could get the specs, I was clicking on the "more actions" for this purchase listing, the seller's name, etc, and I hope I didn't accidentally click on something that would cause the seller to think I wanted to return the laptop, or worse yet, click on something that indicated "sell one like this" (shudder!!)

I got this laptop in April 2011, and am very happy with it, I want to keep it.

What are your specs for your Dell XPS M1730, Winfrey? How much did you pay for it? Are you a tech missionary, or in any kind of missionary field?

I know that someday when I'm a tech I want to go into the tech missionary field but I'll buy a "special-purpose laptop only to travel on the missionary field" when the tme comes and leave my regular laptops at home, make CD/DVD images of all games that I'm taking aboard with me so I'll have no regrets in the event that I lose the computer/games.

EDIT - Just checked on my ebay profile - no recent "sent" mesages to the seller of laptop, no kinds of selling listings appearing in my profile - so I believe I can rest easy, as no harm done.
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-)   NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-) EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 12:29 am

While not very new , my latest purchase in this area is a new (new to me) sound card , an Asus Xonar D2/PM . Very good sound !!!! NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-) 402982 NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-) 402982 NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-) 402982 NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-) 402982
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

PostSubject: Re: NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-)   NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-) EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 2:31 am

Well, I bought Mrs Gelert an ASUS laptop for Christmas .... as part of my cunning plan to divert her from 'breaking' my PC. lol!

So, not directly game-related, but it should lead me to playing a little more and without any preliminary debugging of my PC. cheers
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-)   NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-) EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 3:05 am

Wow an ASUS laptop for Christmas very nice. Does Mrs Gelert like it ?

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

PostSubject: Re: NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-)   NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-) EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 3:35 am

I've no idea. She keeps telling me to shut up because she's using it! LOL! lol!

Heaven for Gelert. flower
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-)   NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-) EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 3:37 am

Gelert wrote:
I've no idea. She keeps telling me to shut up because she's using it! LOL! lol!

Heaven for Gelert. flower

Finally getting some piece & quiet ! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-)   NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-) EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 4:39 am

LOL well I guess by that we can assume Mrs Gelert likes her new ASUS laptop Laughing

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Draclvr
Speculative Fortune-Hunter
Draclvr

PostSubject: Re: NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-)   NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-) EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 3:03 am

It certainly sounds like it!

I gifted myself with a Kindle Fire for Christmas. Oh, boy, do I ever like it! I have two desktops I've built and I really don't need a laptop, but I did want to be a bit more mobile. This is just the ticket for me and not too expensive. Love it!
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-)   NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-) EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 3:25 am

How much did your Kindle Fire cost Drac ? I noticed the original Kindle is down to just $79 at Wal Mart .
Back to top Go down
Draclvr
Draclvr

PostSubject: Re: NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-)   NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-) EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 4:02 am

Yeah, the regular Kindles have different prices. The $79 one comes with advertising on it. The Kindle Fire is the new tablet and it is one price only - $199. The regular kindles are pretty much for reading only. The Fire has a ton of apps, web surfing, email, movies, magazines plus I have all my books from my account for the free Kindle for PC. Scenic Regional Library just started letting you check out Kindle books a month or so ago. It's great!
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-)   NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-) EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 4:40 am

Draclvr wrote:
Yeah, the regular Kindles have different prices. The $79 one comes with advertising on it. The Kindle Fire is the new tablet and it is one price only - $199. The regular kindles are pretty much for reading only. The Fire has a ton of apps, web surfing, email, movies, magazines plus I have all my books from my account for the free Kindle for PC. Scenic Regional Library just started letting you check out Kindle books a month or so ago. It's great!

Glad you're happy with it Drac !! I've been seeing the Kindle Fire , along with the Barnes & Noble "Nook" in commercials lately . What advertising does the regular Kindle contain ? All I would really use a Kindle for anyway , would be reading . I have a friend who is an author , & if I'm not mistaken , has 3 books available on Kindle so far , with a 4th on the way .
Back to top Go down
Draclvr
Draclvr

PostSubject: Re: NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-)   NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-) EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 4:59 am

It's only the lowest price Kindle that has the advertising on it. I really don't know how much there is or how annoying it is either. My son got a Nook Tablet for Christmas and about the only difference between it and the Fire is the 16 GB of storage vs the 8 GB of storage on the Fire. Well, that and another $50 for the Nook. But you get tons of Cloud storage with the Fire that you don't get with the Nook.

You might try going to Amazon and reading the reviews for the cheap Kindle and see what people have to say about the advertising.
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-)   NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-) EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 5:13 am

I may just do that Drac . I just read some reviews on Amazon , & the ads don't look very annoying . Storage is 2GB , cloud storage is also included .
Back to top Go down
tsampikos
Swashbuckling Globetrotter
tsampikos

PostSubject: Re: NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-)   NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-) EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 7:38 pm

For about a month ago I did my hardware upgrade, and now my system is as follows:

1) Motherboard: Intel DZ68DB
2) CPU: Intel i5 2500K
3) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6570 2GB DDR3
4) RAM: 16 GB DDR3 Kingston Value RAM
5) HDD: 1x Western Digital 320 GB, 1x Seagate Barracuda 500 GB (both of them used from previus system).

I am very satisfied with it! Smile My next move will probably be an Intel SSD.
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-)   NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-) EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 7:43 pm

tsampikos wrote:
For about a month ago I did my hardware upgrade, and now my system is as follows:

1) Motherboard: Intel DZ68DB
2) CPU: Intel i5 2500K
3) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6570 2GB DDR3
4) RAM: 16 GB DDR3 Kingston Value RAM
5) HDD: 1x Western Digital 320 GB, 1x Seagate Barracuda 500 GB (both of them used from previus system).

I am very satisfied with it! Smile My next move will probably be an Intel SSD.

Not too bad at all tsampikos ! cheers cheers

I'm going to try to upgrade my video card in the next month or two . I had looked at a gtx 580 (1.5 GB ddr5) , but considering the price , I can get a good used gtx 480 for cheaper on Amazon or ebay . From what I've read in reviews & performance comparisons , there's not much difference , except in power consumption & thermals . My case has 5 fans , so I'm good to go for cooling !
Back to top Go down
Draclvr
Draclvr

PostSubject: Re: NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-)   NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-) EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 7:48 pm

tsampikos, are you going to use the future SSD for a boot drive or a cache drive? Your Z68 motherboard has Intel Smart Response Technology which allows you to use a smaller SSD as a cache drive and your HDDs for everything else. The reads are very fast with the writes not quite as fast as you would be writing to both drives. I set this up on the build I did after Christmas with my grandson. Wow, is it ever fast! There is an option to not write to both drives to which speeds things up even more.
Back to top Go down
winfrey
Daredevil Pioneer
winfrey

PostSubject: Re: NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-)   NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-) EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 8:19 pm

Shocked lol!
Back to top Go down
Draclvr
Draclvr

PostSubject: Re: NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-)   NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-) EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 9:39 pm

?????
Back to top Go down
winfrey
Daredevil Pioneer
winfrey

PostSubject: Re: NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-)   NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-) EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 9:40 pm

I was showing that you were talking way over my head.... you know so much and are sooooo humble Smile
Back to top Go down
Draclvr
Draclvr

PostSubject: Re: NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-)   NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-) EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 10:25 pm

Oh! I wondered! I definitely learned a ton with that build with my grandson!
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-)   NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-) EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 10:38 pm

I was feeling exactly the same way winfrey Very Happy

It sure is nice to have people who know what all that stuff means lol

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Draclvr
Draclvr

PostSubject: Re: NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-)   NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-) EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 2:24 am

I'm just on a learning curve like everybody else!
Back to top Go down
winfrey
Daredevil Pioneer
winfrey

PostSubject: Re: NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-)   NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-) EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 2:25 am

LOL...... You are sooooo humble cheers Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-)   NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-) Empty

Back to top Go down

NON-game game-playing purchases :) - Tell us about the HARDWARE and NON-GAME SOFTWARE you've bought FOR playing games. :-)
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next