Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure games Point & Click and all things PC games

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mozilla Firefox help!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

Mozilla Firefox help! Empty
PostSubject: Mozilla Firefox help!   Mozilla Firefox help! EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 8:01 pm

How do I download? Every time I try, I get a message saying it is a binary file, which doesn't help me. All I want is RUN, which I do understand.
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: Mozilla Firefox help!   Mozilla Firefox help! EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 10:17 pm

What Firefox is asking , is , there is a file that you have requested to download . It lists the type of file it is , and , normally , where (what folder) you want to save the file . It would be best to get a Firefox extension called Flashgot , whick will enable you to use a download manager . I use Free Download Manager .
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: Mozilla Firefox help!   Mozilla Firefox help! EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 12:26 am

Hi Faust,
I came unglued when I couldn't download my Tuesday jigsaw puzzle and had Tom remove Firefox from my computer. Then he tells me that the version I had was too old, dozens pf versions behind.
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: Mozilla Firefox help!   Mozilla Firefox help! EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 3:04 am

Having an older version of Firefox may have prevented the download , but seeing as Firefox wanted to download the file in question , Firefox's age is probably a moot point . Go to www.mozilla.com and get the latest version of Firefox . One other thing . When downloading a file of any kind , never open/run it right away . Always scan the file with a virus scanner before opening .
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
Adventurer Extraordinaire
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Mozilla Firefox help!   Mozilla Firefox help! EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 5:48 pm

If I started using Firefox would I have to remove IE from my programs ?

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: Mozilla Firefox help!   Mozilla Firefox help! EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 5:54 pm

No , Hats . Only thing that would change , is if you decided to use Firefox as your default browser . Just my opinion , there is no reason to use IE unless you have no choice , i.e. the web site specifically states to use it .
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Mozilla Firefox help!   Mozilla Firefox help! EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 6:24 pm

So all you have to do is download Firefox and mark it as your default browser ?

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: Mozilla Firefox help!   Mozilla Firefox help! EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 7:08 pm

Yes . You can do that during install .
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: Mozilla Firefox help!   Mozilla Firefox help! EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 9:54 pm

One of the most important downloads on my computer is Mulawa Dreaming/Peter's Jigsaws since I get 2 jigsaw puzzles a week, Tuesday and Friday, and have ever since 2006, which makes it over 7 years! When I had Firefox as my browser, I couldn't download my usual Tuesday jigsaw and I came unglued. So I had Tom completely remove Firefox and went back to Internet Explorer and now all is well that ends well.
Norton Security gives me a little static over this as it doesn't quite trust this download, and sends a warning to be careful, But I just click on the line that says to send it, and there's the RUN command that I understand.
I removed Firefox before I saw the first reply to my call for help, waited 2 hours and got impatient, sorry about that.
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: Mozilla Firefox help!   Mozilla Firefox help! EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 10:23 pm

Call me wrong , but , it seems as though you were going to uninstall Firefox anyhow . Bearing that in mind , why even ask for help in the first place ?
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: Mozilla Firefox help!   Mozilla Firefox help! EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 11:25 pm

Hmm, I was asked to start a thread in the tech help section when I wanted to know how to download before I removed Firefox, but yes, I was thinking of removing it for some time by then. Mea culpa. Since the Firefox posts were off-topic on Spend, spend... it was a reasonable thing to start this thread. Faust, you posted that someone would "amble along" to help me, but waiting always seems longer than ambling and I was so frustrated by then and in desparate need of my jigsaw puzzle fix that I jumped the gun. I was sorry when I got the email about your answer, but it was too late and the drastic deed was done!
By the way, I never did find the link to Adventure Point, which is why I went to Firefox in the first place, so why keep it?
I'm still using email to get here. It's a roundabout way, but at least it works! lol! 
Back to top Go down
Lady Kestrel
Daredevil Pioneer
Lady Kestrel

PostSubject: Re: Mozilla Firefox help!   Mozilla Firefox help! EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 3:05 am

Mindysue,
I have no problem downloading Peter's Jigsaws in Firefox.  I use it as my default browser, and I also use Safari.

Once you get here, can't you make a bookmark for Adventure Point?
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: Mozilla Firefox help!   Mozilla Firefox help! EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 8:56 pm

Hi Lady Kestrel,
Thanks for your helpful idea to make a bookmark for Adventure Point.
To make a short story long, I didn't know how to bookmark anything, but rather than come here and post that I didn't know how I decided to try and learn how to do this. It took some doing, let me tell you, as I had to ask my husband to help me. The catch is that he has his own computer and running the lastest version of Windows whereas I'm still using WinXP and he doesn't know/remember what it's like, plus he has a hard time using my mouse (he uses a track ball, not a mouse, with his computer) and it took us quite a while to find anything like a bookmark. Turns out there is a star on my toolbar that saves "favorites". However, I didn't have Adventure Point there at that time, but next to the star icon there was a plus-sign-with-star icon where one adds to faves. Did that and now have a direct link to AP. At least it worked once just now and I'm assuming it will work again in the future!
Back to top Go down
Lady Kestrel
Daredevil Pioneer
Lady Kestrel

PostSubject: Re: Mozilla Firefox help!   Mozilla Firefox help! EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 5:28 pm

I'm glad you resolved that, Mindysue. Both of my browsers have bookmarks in the dropdown menu at the top of my screen. Whenever I'm on a page I want to keep, I just select save bookmark and add it to the appropriate category in my menu (forums, shopping, entertainment, etc.).
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: Mozilla Firefox help!   Mozilla Firefox help! EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 9:29 pm

I'm still trying to learn how the star icon works. When I tried it today, I noticed an arrow to the right of the AP link and clicked on it. Everything seemed to go haywire and I had no idea what was going on, so I left. Came back and this time let my curser just hover over the arrow and got the message: Open in new tab. Didn't know what that meant so asked Tom and he explained and showed how a tab works on his computer. Now, after all these years, I finally understand what the Tab key is all about. I never used it and will probably never use it, but at least I know what it is and that's good. Thanks to you, Lady Kestrel, I found a viable link to AP, and also learned something more about my computer.
Back to top Go down
Lady Kestrel
Daredevil Pioneer
Lady Kestrel

PostSubject: Re: Mozilla Firefox help!   Mozilla Firefox help! EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 7:02 pm

Just rember that your computer won't explode if you make a mistake, Mindysue, unless you decide to use dynamite on it. Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: Mozilla Firefox help!   Mozilla Firefox help! EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 11:08 pm

Hmm, a glitch can be almost as bad as dynamite. I'm not too happy when I get an ERROR message either. I lose track of my mouse and all sorts of "accidents" happen. So, I do tend to be very cautious and timid.
However, after my Firefox experiment, I now feel a bit more adventuresome and today I went an ordered an iPad from Amazon, something I've been thinking about doing for a long, long, LONG time.
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: Mozilla Firefox help!   Mozilla Firefox help! EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 2:27 am

Best of luck mindysue  . Just for the tally books , a Kindle Fire HD does everything an ipad can do , costs about half what an ipad does . Like I said , best of luck with yiur new toy !
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: Mozilla Firefox help!   Mozilla Firefox help! EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 4:48 am

Thanks, Faust, I'm going to need all the luck I can get with the iPad. I bought it for the games that I see over at BigFish, but I don't have a clue how one buys them. I have an early Amazon Kindle and just barely know how to buy the books for it. I've seen the hype for the Kindle Fire and it has just too many bells-and-whistles for me.

Oh, btw, what is Wi-Fi?
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Mozilla Firefox help!   Mozilla Firefox help! EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 4:34 pm

Hi mindysue

Wi - Fi is a wireless internet connection

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Camaro
Speculative Fortune-Hunter
Camaro

PostSubject: Re: Mozilla Firefox help!   Mozilla Firefox help! EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 10:24 pm

Wireless Fidelity

Honestly I had no idea what the fi part stood for so I just had to look it up. Smile 
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: Mozilla Firefox help!   Mozilla Firefox help! EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 10:56 pm

Wow, thanks a million, Camaro and hatshepsut,
and now I finally know what I've been wondering about for years! First off, I've always figured that Wi meant Wireless, but the Fi has always stumped me. Wireless what? Wireless internet connection made sense, but where did the Fi come in, that still was mysterious to me. I know that sci-fi means science fiction, but wireless fiction obviously can't be correct. Fidelity never crossed my mind, but maybe it should have. After all, hi-fi has been around for years.
Gee, it's great to know that when I see Wi-Fi from here on I won't be wondering what it means, and if it is something mysterious I should know about or if not knowing is okay. I've been coasting along for years not really being sure one way or the other.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mozilla Firefox help!   Mozilla Firefox help! Empty

Back to top Go down

Mozilla Firefox help!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Adventure Point Forum :: GAME FORUMS :: The Adventure Point Technical Hitches and Tips Centre-
Jump to: