Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure games Point & Click and all things PC games

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released

Go down 
+2
hatshepsut
lakerz
6 posters
AuthorMessage
lakerz
Daredevil Pioneer
lakerz

The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released Empty
PostSubject: The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released   The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released EmptySat May 10, 2014 1:02 pm

Hey, has anybody loaded up this new Tex Murphy yet? I got my steam code as a kickstarter backer, but have not loaded the game yet. Trying to clear through a bunch of other games first. Still, I'm excited it's out! I hope it's well enough received that they keep making more.

In other news, the Outcast Reboot in high def kickstarter did not reach the stated goal. A shame, but it sounds like the devs are not giving up which is great.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
Adventurer Extraordinaire
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released   The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released EmptySat May 10, 2014 4:29 pm

No I haven't gotten it yet. I hope it's well received also.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
haroldw
Wanderer's Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released   The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released EmptyMon May 12, 2014 8:18 am

I here nothing but good things about the Tex Murphy series. I take it you're a fan of the series.
Noir is my favorite genre also. I must admit they seem to be advancing the technology, along with Outcast. I'm an old timer so
I'm not really use to 3D and still have mixed emotions about filmed characters as opposed to
drawn. but no one can deny the developers are master craftsmen.

The only thing I'm playing that's close to it is Fate by Numbers, another filmed cyberpunk.
Flying cars get me every time.
Back to top Go down
GreyFuss
GreyFuss

PostSubject: Re: The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released   The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released EmptyWed May 14, 2014 4:16 pm

Are you guys kidding....Leave Adventure Point right now...get Tesla Effect right now and load it up...If you liked the past Tex Murphy games your are going to fall in love with this. Think Pandora with high definition, full screen FMV, clear graphics and so far, on my computer, smooth playing with not a glitch. I am 18 hours into the game so far and its been many years since I felt the passion for an adventure game. We have gone far to long with average and below average releases. Besides the awesome game Big Finish ran a fantastic Kickstarter campaign and followed that up with a great Public and Backer Forum. A trusted, passionate developer that by the looks of the success of Tesla will probably continue the Tex games...I hope!
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released   The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released EmptyThu May 15, 2014 1:15 pm

Thanks GreyFuss for letting us know about the new Tex Murphy. After several game disappointments I was sitting on the fence. I loved the first two Tex Murphy games. I will go check it out now.  Smile 

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
lakerz
Daredevil Pioneer
lakerz

PostSubject: Re: The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released   The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released EmptySat May 17, 2014 2:21 pm

GreyFuss, it's always nice to hear your input on a new game. I'd like to rush out and download my Steam/GOG version of Tesla Effect right away as you instruct, but there are still two of the older Tex games I've yet to play. I kind of wanted to play them in order. Does this new game rely on the story lines of the older titles (or have jokes based on the older games)? If so, I might wait, though I'm guessing I'll have some tech issues to sort out getting the older games to work on Win7.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released   The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released EmptySun May 18, 2014 5:09 am

lakerz let us know if you can get them to install on win 7. I haven't been able to get Under a Killing Moon to install on either my 98 or my XP. I'guess I'll have to download it from gog.

I would also like to know if the other games need to be played before playing  The Telsa Effect.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
gruefeeder
Opportunist Explorer
gruefeeder

PostSubject: Re: The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released   The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released EmptySun May 18, 2014 10:17 am

hatshepsut wrote:
I would also like to know if the other games need to be played before playing  The Telsa Effect.
I would say it's definitely helpful.
Or if you can't handle the interface in the earlier games, you can watch "Let's Play's" of the previous games on YouTube.

It is not necessary to play Under a Killing Moon before playing Pandora Directive because Pandora does a really good job of getting you up to speed. In Tesla Effect, things are complicated by 7 years between the events of Overseer and a plotline that relies on amnesia. Tex tells you a bit about what he's doing in the beginning, but doesn't go into detail about what happened in the 7 years between the cliffhanger ending of Overseer and the start of Tesla Effect.

The plot in Tesla Effect gets confusing even when you have played all the previous games. From what I've read, it even makes use of episodes of Tex Murphy Radio Theatre.
http://www.unofficialtexmurphy.com/casefiles/radio/

Tesla Effect is a huge download, and a much more demanding game than the earlier ones. Make sure your computer has the specs to support it.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released   The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released EmptyMon May 19, 2014 9:46 am

Thanks for the info gruefeeder. I'll just start playing with Pandora Directive and and continue on till I get to The Telsa Effect. Thanks for the reminder to check the specs also  Smile 

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
GreyFuss
GreyFuss

PostSubject: Re: The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released   The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released EmptyTue May 20, 2014 10:59 am

My recommendation would be that if you haven't played Under a Killing Moon or Pandora Directive you haven't experienced Tex Murphy. Play Under a Killing Moon, Pandora Directive and Overseer before playing Tesla Effect to see if you fall in love with Tex and his game world. Of course if those don't get you then you may not like Tesla. All the games can be bought from GOG and they should run on the newer systems. Currently I have taken a break from Tesla because I have been stuck for 5 days on proceeding. I think I know what I have to do but I can't find what I need and I refuse to wait this long for a Tex Murphy game that I have only been dreaming about all these years just to hurry it up and get help from walkthroughs. Playing Memento Mori 2 right now.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released   The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released EmptyFri May 23, 2014 5:00 am

Thanks for the input GreyFuss.

How are you finding the gameplay with Memento Mori 2 ?

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
lakerz
Daredevil Pioneer
lakerz

PostSubject: Re: The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released   The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released EmptySun May 25, 2014 12:21 pm

Thanks gruefeeder and greyfuss for the feedback. I played Overseer and the two very early Tex games (forget their names), but not Under a Killing Moon and Pandora Directive. I have them as GOG downloads so will give them a shot at some point before loading up Tesla Effect.

Greyfuss, I admire your tenacity on refusing to check a walkthrough for a solution to a good game you are stuck on. Once that walkthrough is open, it's hard to stop checking it for other things. I'm finding that out for Yoomurjak's Ring right now. I like the game but man some of those puzzles are really hard.
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released   The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released EmptyMon May 26, 2014 8:11 am

The first Tex Murphy game was Mean Streets and very well named indeed. I played the beginning scenes when Tex used his flying and detective skills, and enjoyed the game very much at that point, but then he went out into the streets and all the shooting began and that ended Tex and the game for me. Never played any of the other titles and don't particularly want to any more!
Back to top Go down
GreyFuss
GreyFuss

PostSubject: Re: The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released   The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released EmptyMon May 26, 2014 8:26 am

lakerz wrote:
Greyfuss, I admire your tenacity on refusing to check a walkthrough for a solution to a good game you are stuck on.  .

I have become more patient with these games and am in no hurry to finish. There was a time that when finished with a game there were always many released and waiting to be played. Not any more I am afraid. Games that I am interested in are released so few and far between whats the rush to hurry up and finish only to sit on my hands for weeks and months with nothing to play until the next release. And for the past couple of years, in most cases, the wait wasn't worth it.

Speaking of worth it, I have paused Tex for the last week because I am into Memento Mori 2. I enjoyed the first game and so far this one to although I should have replayed the first one before this as I have forgotten most of it. A lot of detective work to do so those who don't like those types of puzzles may not like it..
Back to top Go down
lakerz
Daredevil Pioneer
lakerz

PostSubject: Re: The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released   The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released EmptyMon May 26, 2014 1:09 pm

mindysue wrote:
The first Tex Murphy game was Mean Streets and very well named indeed. I played the beginning scenes when Tex used his flying and detective skills, and enjoyed the game very much at that point, but then he went out into the streets and all the shooting began and that ended Tex and the game for me. Never played any of the other titles and don't particularly want to any more!

mindysue - you should not let the early Tex games turn you off from the rest of the series. The early ones incorporated clumsy arcade elements that ruined the game for lots of folks, so it's not just you. The later games starting with Under A Killing Moon were all well received and pure adventure games as far as I can tell. You might be missing out on some great adventuring if you ignore them based on Mean Streets!

Greyfuss, Memento Mori is another game that is loaded on my hard drive but have not dived into it yet! I like those kinds of games though, so it's likely to be the next game I jump into after Yoomurjak's Ring. Given my personality type, I just have a hard time not checking a walkthough if I've been stuck for a full day. I'm always worried that it is not me but a bug/glitch in the game that is stopping me from progressing! In fact, just last year that did happen to me when I was playing the first Black Mirror. My download version was very glitchy on my old Vista computer, and certain inventory items would never show up to be found so I could not progress. Even though that's rare to happen these days, I still just can't help myself but glance at a walkthrough just in case. Once I do that though I end up peeking again and again. I like your mindset though on savoring every puzzle of a good game since they are not coming out so often anymore. The last game I played that I was so enthralled with I refused to check a walkthrough was the original Shivers game by Sierra.
Back to top Go down
GreyFuss
GreyFuss

PostSubject: Re: The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released   The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released EmptyMon May 26, 2014 8:12 pm

Shivers...Oh my...one of my favorites and one of the reasons I fell in love with these games. However this was way before the Internet at least for me. I played that game for a very long time and the only help you could get was to call the Sierra Hot line of either 95 cents or $1.50 a minute (can't remember which). It was for the Chinese Checker puzzle. Something like 60 moves to beat it. Can you imagine writing down all the moves as the clock was ticking the meter? The game was amazing but I wish they would have had logic puzzles instead of arcade type puzzle games. The all things Shivers fan site is still live and is a wonderful place to take a walk down memory lane with the game, download its music and learn things you may have never known.
Shivers Fan Site
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released   The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released EmptyTue May 27, 2014 4:46 am

It's been a long time ago, but I seem to recall that before the Internet there was CompuServe which you could dial-up on a modem. You could get help on all the adventure games from the sysops on bulletin boards, or whatever, my memory of all this isn't that great.
As for Shivers, I can remember reading about the game in the Sierra newsletter, but I never played it myself.
Back to top Go down
GreyFuss
GreyFuss

PostSubject: Re: The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released   The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released EmptyTue May 27, 2014 8:16 am

The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released Waving-hi-text-smiley-emoticon Mindysue

Modem...I never heard that word before in that era. I was a real late comer to the Internet and such. When I bought my first computer, Win 95, I wanted to learn everything about it and what I could do with it before I attempted the World Wide Web. My company provided free Norton Anti Virus, came on one floppy back then, and provided the virus definitions updates too. They didn't want those who took work home to infect the company computers. A friend of mine would watch the virus list and was amazed when it hit over 100 lol. Even when I did dare to get on the WWW I had no idea there was anyplace that helped with games I don't think there was very many. I ended up using Sierras Hotline once for the Chinese Checker puzzle in Shivers and once in Phantasmagoria when I was stuck for weeks as I never did see the telescope lens laying on the ground next to the path. Of course the calls were dragged on as you had to answer questions and push the numbers on your phone for them to get to the part you needed help on so, to me, at the time it wasn't cheap. So it made one more determined to solve the puzzles on ones own that to dish out money. Wonder how many people would stick it out longer in solving puzzles today if they had to pay for hints?  scratch
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released   The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released EmptyWed May 28, 2014 12:46 pm

Wow, that is some BIG "Hi!" there, GreyFuss! I tried to find one biggie for you, but the best I can do is HI! HAVE A GREAT DAY!
That Sierra hint line was something else, cost an arm and a leg and the hints weren't all that good. I'm tone deaf and there was a frustrating game where to open a gate you had to play four notes, the same four notes a small flock of birds were singing. I heard the birds and knew I needed to play those notes, but all I could hear was that the notes went up and down, but where on the scale or what order was beyond me. So I went to Sierra and all the hint told me was to listen to the birds...aargh! Now that you remind me, I also recall those questions and numbers you had to go through to get to the hints, totally forgot that part of it.
Tom got his first PC and kept upgrading them almost as fast as new ones came out and in those early days, changes came fast and furiously. The first adventure games were text only, and at that time they were a big deal, at least for the gamers. But then came those early pixel games, crude but fun. In many ways a lot more fun than today's games, or is my age showing here? I got Tom's hand-me-down computers all the way to the Dell Win 95, but on 12-12-06 (date is stamped on my brain) I got my very own first (and so far, last) Dell Win XP computer!
Back to top Go down
lakerz
Daredevil Pioneer
lakerz

PostSubject: Re: The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released   The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released EmptySun Jun 08, 2014 1:10 pm

mindysue & greyfuss - You both took me down memory lane thinking of my first PC. I was so excited to get that high powered 386 processor equipped gaming machine! I too was determined to learn all the in's and out's in what it could do. I played a lot of the old Sierra classics on that, as well as on the AppleIIe I had before the PC.

I never used the Sierra hint line, because I heard it was a very expensive call, LOL. I never had the money back then to risk making that call. GreyFuss, I agree, without the internet making things so easy to cheat, people would indeed spend a lot more time trying to solve that vexing puzzle. The chinese checkers puzzle in Shivers was *the* hardest and frustrating puzzle in that whole game. The rest of the game flowed so well I though, and then that puzzle popped up. I solved it, but it took hours of retrying again and again and fighting the clock to figure it out. To this day, I'm not sure how I did it. I think in my mind, Shivers will always be my favorite game. Shivers 2 was okay, but did not contain the magic my mind held for the original.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released   The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released Empty

Back to top Go down

The Tesla Effect (Tex Murphy) released
Page 1 of 1