Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure games Point & Click and all things PC games

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What are you reading?

Go down 
+3
jkeerie
hatshepsut
mindysue
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

What are you reading? Empty
PostSubject: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptyFri Nov 07, 2014 5:54 pm

I just finished reading To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee and I can see why it is a classic. For me, it wasn't a page-turner, it was a sentence-grabber. Written in the first person by an 8-year-old girl, the sentences would lead from one thing to another in such a way that I was hooked and had to keep reading.
Years ago I saw the movie version of the book, starring Gregory Peck, and remember it as a great movie about a trial, but that's about all I do recall. Turns out the book is nothing like the movie! There is a trial, but the book is a lot more than that.
I am not sure that I liked it, but I am very sure that I am glad I read it.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
Adventurer Extraordinaire
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptySat Nov 08, 2014 6:53 pm

I haven't read To Kill a Mockingbird but I heard that it is a good book.

I'm currently reading Splendor in the Glass the ninth book in the Den of Antiquity series by Tamar Myers. It is a cozy, humorous mystery involving Abigal Timberlake an antique dealer and various situations and solving a mystery or murder.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
jkeerie
Daredevil Pioneer
jkeerie

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptyTue Nov 11, 2014 4:49 pm

To Kill a Mockingbird was and still is my favorite movie of all time. I always watch it when it's on TCM or AMC. Loved Scout!
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptyFri Nov 14, 2014 8:54 pm

I'm curious ... has anybody read any of the Mrs. Pollifax series by Dorothy Gilman? This is an older series and I'm now rereading it again on my Kindle. I have just finished reading The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax and found it to be as full of suspense as the first time I read it. BTW, the Unexpected part is hilarious, but I won't say why because it would be a spoiler. This is the first book in the series and I have just started reading the second book, The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 6:30 pm

Yes I've read all of the Mrs Pollifax books, plus the other books that Dorothy Gilman wrote. I love the Mrs Pollifax books and the others also. There is humor and suspense.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
winfrey
Daredevil Pioneer
winfrey

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptyWed Dec 24, 2014 1:48 pm

Game of Thrones......I am on book 5 hopeful he will get book 6 out very soon. I am really enjoying these....if anyone is watching it on Tv the books are a must read they fill in so much.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/winfreysgames/
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 7:28 am

I'm reading The Mask of Ra by P.C. Doherty right now It's a murder mystery set in the palace of Hatshepsut in the early days of her reign. I am enjoying it very much. I also got a Kindle for my birthday and already have lots of books on it. study Happy reading.

reading
Back to top Go down
StarLite Moon
Daredevil Pioneer
StarLite Moon

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptyThu Apr 09, 2015 3:57 pm

I'm not reading anything right now except instructions. I just finished reading Terry Brooks latest book. The Gypsy Morph, I loved it, so much happening. I love Brooks books, still haven't finished reading them all yet, maybe some day I'll get back into reading study
Back to top Go down
http://indieadventure.freeforums.org/
lakerz
Daredevil Pioneer
lakerz

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 2:12 am

winfrey wrote:
Game of Thrones......I am on book 5 hopeful he will get book 6 out very soon. I am really enjoying these....if anyone is watching it on Tv the books are a must read they fill in so much.

I've read the whole 'Fire & Ice' series as well through book 5, and I agree the world is so rich in detail and full of great characters and rivalries. Look forward to the next book as well. The author commented that he feels pressured to get it out soon, as otherwise the Game of Thrones HBO series will get caught up to the books! :-)

Right now I'm reading 'The Bone Clocks' by David Mitchell. Have not read his previous books, but I do know they made a movie out of 'Cloud Atlas'.

I also read 'Boys In A Boat' which was an interesting autobiographical book. Also have 'Unbroken' which I'll read soon as well.
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 9:45 pm

So who were the boys in the boat? Seems to me an autobiographical book is about somebody more-or-less well-known?
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 5:40 am

mindysue the boys in the boat were nine teenage boys from Washington who who came from varied backgrounds. They went to the 1036 Olympics in Germany and beat the East coast,
Britain and German rowing teams to win the gold.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
StarLite Moon
Daredevil Pioneer
StarLite Moon

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 4:01 pm

I've got to get into more reading. If I use the computer too long my fingers and joints start to ache not to mention my back from sitting too long. I bought a few books by R.A. Salvatore awhile ago, couldn't really get into the first one but people say he'll really good. Maybe I'll give them a read sunny
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 9:47 pm

I never came across the name R. A. Salvatore in any of the daily emails I get from Amazon featuring the best books for each month and the latest best sellers. I could have overlooked the name, of course, especially if the title or subject matter didn't interest me. So I'm curious, just what kind of books does he/she write?
Back to top Go down
StarLite Moon
Daredevil Pioneer
StarLite Moon

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 3:09 pm

He does fantasy books sort of along the lines of Brooks and Pratchette. Here's a link if you want to check out what he's written. I find that he doesn't grab me like Brooks did. I got 3 books for $10.00 and he came highly recommended so I thought I'd give him a try. Maybe I just wasn't into reading at the time, but I bought the books so I may as well read them before the book worms get to them  study

Sorry I forgot the link here it is

R. A. Salvatore
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 9:25 pm

Okay, now I know why I didn't recognize this writer. I am not a fan of fantasy books in the style of Lord of the Rings. Back when Tolkien's book first came out, it was a best seller and I tried reading it, but it didn't work for me. I guess a little fantasy is fine, but when a writer gets into a whole world and makes a big production out of it, I get lost quickly. Thanks for the link, StarLite Moon, it gave me everything I needed to know about Salvatore.
Back to top Go down
lakerz
Daredevil Pioneer
lakerz

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 4:50 am

hatshepsut wrote:
mindysue the boys in the boat were nine teenage boys from Washington who who came from varied backgrounds. They went to the 1036 Olympics in Germany and beat the East coast,
Britain and German rowing teams to win the gold.

hatshepsut

Sorry, hatshepsut did a good job of summarizing the book. All about the USA gold medal effort in rowing against some very long odds during great depression and pre-war days. By all accounts, the guy sounds amazing, what a life. I did find the book dragged on in some areas. I learned more about rowing and the religion of it than I probably cared to, ha ha. Still, good story.
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptySat Aug 22, 2015 8:00 pm

Since I started this thread with To Kill A Mockingbird, I will now add to it by saying I finished reading Harper Lee's Go Set A Watchman yesterday and it is still haunting me today! Personally, I think it is a better book than Mockingbird, but I can also see why it was originally rejected and now that it has been published, the reviews seem to be somewhat on the negative side and many readers were disappointed in it. I got the impression they thought that Atticus Finch turned out to be a racist and not the unprejudiced, dedicated lawyer that he was in To Kill A Mockingbird. Wrong: he is still the same Atticus, only more so, but you have to read the book very carefully to get its message because it is actually stronger! Maybe too much so for the general reading public. Scout isn't the cute tomboy this time, instead she has grown up and is finding her own voice. She starts off by making a big mistake when she first sees Atticus at a town council meeting. She finally arrives at the truth, but it is quite a journey. I liked her better this time around. At the end of the book Atticus says he is proud of her, and I reckon I was also!
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptyMon Sep 21, 2015 11:36 pm

Looks like there isn't much reading going on around here, too bad.

However, at present, I'm revisiting one of my favorite authors from days past, Dick Francis, and having a terrific time! He was a very special mystery writer with a great background in steeplechase horse racing in England. He was a jockey himself when younger so he knows what he is writing about and does it in such a way that makes it clear to the reader how a jockey thinks and feels. Maybe it doesn't sound like much just reading what I wrote here, one has to read the books to know what I really mean. The mysteries along with the jump racing are also very well done, so if one only wants a great mystery read, it is there. So far, I have 8 books on my Kindle and 5 in paperback, so obviously I'm going to be busy reading for some time to come. Lucky me! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
StarLite Moon
Daredevil Pioneer
StarLite Moon

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptyWed Sep 23, 2015 6:38 pm

Doesn't seem to be too much of anything going on anywhere these days. Maybe once the cooler weather gets here things will pick up. I've noticed a lot of game site members are hanging out over at Facebook. I hate Facebook, but it's the only way for me to keep in touch with a couple of friends I made from Dragon's Breath. I hope the game sites will pick up soon, I worry so much about our members. sunny
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptyWed Oct 14, 2015 3:03 pm

StarLite, I think that the social media like Facebook etc are taking over and probably here to stay . Sad for the Adventure forums but that is probably going to be the new reality.

mindysue I've actually been doing a lot of reading the last few months. Mostly vampire books right now but I have read quite a few mysteries also. I'll try to list some of them here while I'm home.

Happy reading.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptyFri Feb 05, 2016 8:31 pm

Trying to decide whether to start a new reading thread or stay with this one.

Decision: Stay with this one. Why? Nobody seems to be very interested in reading any more. All busy on Facebook maybe? I don't go there so have no idea what that is all about. How old-fashioned can I get?

I'm curious to know if anyone is interested in a book by David McCallum (Yes, the actor: NCIS, and way back, The Man from U.N.C.L.E.) titled Once a Crooked Man? I have it on my Kindle, and will get to it as soon as I finish my present read. Sounds like an interesting mystery with lots of humor. A combo I like and rarely find.
Back to top Go down
winfrey
Daredevil Pioneer
winfrey

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptyFri Feb 05, 2016 9:15 pm

I am reading "The Historian"

book
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptyFri Feb 12, 2016 3:10 am

I haven't heard of the David McCallum book but I do like mysterious so I'll check it out.
I haven't read The Historian yet but it is in my list.
I finished book 10 in The Forged Bloodlines series by Lisa Olsen last night. I am now impatiently waiting for book 11 to come out. I really liked the Forged Bloodlines series. The books are a fairly fast read. I laughed I cried I got mad and nearly threw my Kindle in frustration. The characters become like real people. And Bishop{the hero} is probably the hottest most flawed character I've ever read and you can't help but love him. The Forged Bloodlines is about vampires but there are humans also.
You can get the Forged Bloodlines Book 1 Wake Me When the Sun Goes Down at Amazon at no cost for your Kindle or Kindle on pc.
Happy reading

hatshepsut

Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptyFri Feb 12, 2016 5:44 pm

I'm curious about The Historian as I haven't seen it mentioned in my emails from Amazon for my Kindle, or if it has come up I didn't notice it among all the other titles that I checked out. I check out about 10 titles, at least, for every one that I actually buy. I like reading reviews, as much for learning about the reviewer as for the book itself. I am having a hard time trying to figure out what The Historian could be about even though the title seems to say it all, or does it?
Back to top Go down
winfrey
Daredevil Pioneer
winfrey

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? EmptyFri Feb 12, 2016 5:59 pm

The Historian is the 2005 debut novel of American author Elizabeth Kostova. The plot blends the history and folklore of Vlad ČšepeČ™ and his fictional equivalent Count Dracula. Wikipedia

The Historian

Not your normal Dracula book...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading?   What are you reading? Empty

Back to top Go down

What are you reading?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Adventure Point Forum :: THIS AND THAT :: General Talk, Comments or Questions-