Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.

Adventure games Point & Click and all things PC games

HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

What story should I choose for my next game?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Treasure Island
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Count of Monte Cristo
18%
 18% [ 2 ]
War of The Worlds
9%
 9% [ 1 ]
Dracula
27%
 27% [ 3 ]
Scarlet Pimpernel
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Oliver Twist
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
King Solomon's Mines
36%
 36% [ 4 ]
She
9%
 9% [ 1 ]
Other?
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

AuthorMessage
HandsFree
Swashbuckling Globetrotter

PostSubject: Re: What story should I choose for my next game?   Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:26 pm

I voted King Solomon's Mines. Haven't read it or seen the movie, but somehow it sounds like the days of Indiana Jones and the fate of atlantis. Cool
Back to top Go down
GreyFuss
Adventurer Extraordinaire

PostSubject: Re: What story should I choose for my next game?   Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:39 pm

You hit the nail on the head HandsFree. That is very close to what Allan Quartermain is.
Back to top Go down
Enter The Story
Wanderer's Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: What story should I choose for my next game?   Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:11 am

Magoozelle wrote:
I second The Count of Monte Cristo! But the unabridged version is 1200-1400 pages, depending on which publishing house you prefer. So it might be most difficult to cram all of the action! The drama! The scheming and dialog! Into a video game.

Best of luck to you in whatever you choose!

Thanks!

But that's the funny thing about making those games, they end up shorter than you might think, yet I don't miss anything out (unlike certain developers I could mention Smile ) It's been a real surprise to me. But a pleasant one, as my goal is to concentrate the essence of a book without missing anything.

What I do is this: I go through the book line by line looking for where a major character makes a decision. Every decision becomes a puzzle, and every aftermath becomes a cut scene. And that decides the length and content of the game. The surprising thing is that a major book can contain far fewer decisions than you might think: they often have whole chapters that are simply setting the scene, but don't add to the drama. A Tale of Two Cities, for example, is about 250 pages, but only contains about 20 decisions (hence, 20 puzzles).

Les Miserables was about 1000 pages long and contained about 125 decisions (hence, 125 puzzles - note that most puzzles are simply a matter of combining two characters, but I try to make sure that some of the puzzles are a little more creative - e.g. Genesis of the Gods includes a musical puzzle and two activities based on movement).

I think this approach has a lot of potential:all the best drama in a book comes from the hero having to make decisions. So my games are all about the decisions.

Incidentally, this was something I learned the hard way. After the success of Les Miserables I thought I'd try a more difficult story, Dante's Inferno, a book that essentially contains zero drama (Dante basically walks in a straight line and is never in any danger). I tried to make it seem as exciting as I could, but I always want to be faithful to the text, and as a result my Dante's Inferno is the least exciting of my games. Simply because the original poem is not exciting, it's a theological and historical poem. Note that EA Games faced the same problem and simply changed the story completely. But I won't do that.

I learned my lesson, so I made sure that the third story was more exciting: Genesis of The Gods involves battles between gods and Titans, where the fate of the world hangs in the balance. It's a much more exciting story. But even there I had to heavily interpret the original text, which originally didn't have any real decisions. The idea of stories with heroes who make decisions didn't really appear until the novel was invented in the 1600s. Before that things happened TO the hero, but the hero doesn't really change anything. Which makes it difficult to make authentic games based on those stories: either you change the story, or heavily re-interpret it, or make it boring.

That's really why I started this thread: I have resolved only to do proper novels for the foreseeable future. And that's why I'm particularly looking for stories that are already packed with drama and don't need to be reinterpreted in any way.
Back to top Go down
http://enterthestory.com/
GreyFuss

PostSubject: Re: What story should I choose for my next game?   Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:29 am

Thanks Tolworthy

That is an excellent explanation of how you go about making the games and what you are looking for.
Back to top Go down
Mystery Lover
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: What story should I choose for my next game?   Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:42 pm

How very interesting Tolworthy, and very clever too! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Enter The Story
Wanderer's Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: What story should I choose for my next game?   Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:56 pm

Mystery Lover wrote:
How very interesting Tolworthy, and very clever too! Very Happy

Thanks, but I have a long way to go yet. I've a lot of confidence in the system I've got set up, I think within a year I should be creating commercially popular games at a rate of one every three months. But there's still so much to learn. And it's hard to talk about because I don't want to sound like I'm talking down the first three games - I think they're pretty amazing and everyone should buy them Smile But I haven't got into the groove yet of making them how I want them. Hopefully the story I'm working on now (A Tale of Two Cities) will be a lot closer to my dream, then the one after that - whichever title gets the most votes on this thread - will be the one where I really crack it.

But there's so much involved in making a game - not just making it! Literally half my time is spent on "other stuff" than the story itself. This weekend is a good example. I just got the Dutch translation of Les Miserables, and discovered a minor bug that means foreign language versions of the game can't join up. (All the stories in the game join up, to make a bigger and bigger game world.) Which means I need to convert all the games to a more recent version of AGS. Which introduces all kinds of new challenges to overcome (crashes, times events working differently, etc.) There's always something like that. Last week it was integrating my blog into the main web site so it looks more professional. but I don't really want to spend time on coding and web design and stuff, I just want to spend time on th stories! The stories are what really interest me.
Back to top Go down
http://enterthestory.com/
Mystery Lover
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: What story should I choose for my next game?   Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:59 pm

I'm glad you shared with us about all the work that goes into making the games. It really me appreciate what you do, all the more!! Thank you!!
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What story should I choose for my next game?   Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:57 pm

Smile
Back to top Go down
http://adventurepoint.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What story should I choose for my next game?   Today at 10:08 am

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2