Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.

HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Good Books

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Camaro
Speculative Fortune-Hunter

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:00 pm

hatshepsut wrote:
I think there are a few fantasy fans here study
hatshepsut
It might not be everyone's cup of tea but I absolutely loved READY PLAYER ONE by Ernest Cline. The book contains an amazing number of references historic and otherwise, even the Zork white house. Very Happy Although the story takes place 30 years in the future, it may not be as far-fetched as it seems. Laughing

From book description on amazon: (entirely accurate I'd add)
Quote :
At once wildly original and stuffed with irresistible nostalgia, READY PLAYER ONE is a spectacularly genre-busting, ambitious, and charming debut—part quest novel, part love story, and part virtual space opera set in a universe where spell-slinging mages battle giant Japanese robots, entire planets are inspired by Blade Runner, and flying DeLoreans achieve light speed.

It’s the year 2044, and the real world is an ugly place.

Like most of humanity, Wade Watts escapes his grim surroundings by spending his waking hours jacked into the OASIS, a sprawling virtual utopia that lets you be anything you want to be, a place where you can live and play and fall in love on any of ten thousand planets.

And like most of humanity, Wade dreams of being the one to discover the ultimate lottery ticket that lies concealed within this virtual world. For somewhere inside this giant networked playground, OASIS creator James Halliday has hidden a series of fiendish puzzles that will yield massive fortune—and remarkable power—to whoever can unlock them.

For years, millions have struggled fruitlessly to attain this prize, knowing only that Halliday’s riddles are based in the pop culture he loved—that of the late twentieth century. And for years, millions have found in this quest another means of escape, retreating into happy, obsessive study of Halliday’s icons. Like many of his contemporaries, Wade is as comfortable debating the finer points of John Hughes’s oeuvre, playing Pac-Man, or reciting Devo lyrics as he is scrounging power to run his OASIS rig.

And then Wade stumbles upon the first puzzle.

Suddenly the whole world is watching, and thousands of competitors join the hunt—among them certain powerful players who are willing to commit very real murder to beat Wade to this prize. Now the only way for Wade to survive and preserve everything he knows is to win. But to do so, he may have to leave behind his oh-so-perfect virtual existence and face up to life—and love—in the real world he’s always been so desperate to escape.

Back to top Go down
colpet
Wanderer's Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:05 am

I loved Ready Player One. There were so many gaming references, and just 80's stuff in general that brough back lots of memories. Another good book with gaming at it's heart is Reamde by Neal Stephenson. Granted it's more RPG that adventure, but anyone who's played Uru Live can probably relate.
Back to top Go down
Camaro

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:47 am

That is good to hear. I haven't read any of Stephenson's books but that one does seem very appealing.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
Adventurer Extraordinaire

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:25 am

Just finished reading Killing Lincoln by Bill O'Rielly. Very good book and a lot of details I didn't know.

hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Fri May 31, 2013 4:59 am

Just finished reading the Aurora Teagarden series by Charlaine Harris. Very good books.

Now reading Night Time is My Time by Mary Higgins Clark.

I went to the library book sale a couple of weeks ago and my to read pile is huge now again.

So what has everyone else been reading lately ?

hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:50 am

I loved the book but now I can hardly wait for the Under the Dome thirteen week mini-series which premieres June 24. affraid
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:23 am

I love Stephen King movies and mini series. I have Under the Dome marked down on my calendar..

hatshepsut

Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:20 am

Thanks for the heads up on that mini-series, Camaro. I read and liked King's book, so it'll be interesting to see what they do with it.

If you're going to read Neal Stephenson, I recommend starting with Snow Crash. It's really a cyberpunk classic.

I just finished Stalin's Ghost by Martin Cruz Smith and didn't want it to end. I really like the protagonist, Arkady Renko, who is investigating the siting of Stalins's ghost in a tube station in Moscow and uncovers a past that could be very inconvenient for many people. It's very suspenseful and totally engrossing.
Back to top Go down
bonsai
Wanderer's Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:04 pm

hatshepsut wrote:
I love Stephen King movies and mini series. I have Under the Dome marked down on my calendar..

hatshepsut

Read that about a month ago. Enjoyed it, but it in no way comes close to 11/22/63 imo. I found the story so intriguing I haven't stopped thinking about it.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:02 pm

I haven't read 11/22/63 yet . I guess it's about time for me to read it. Thanks for the nudge bonsai Smile

Stalin's Ghost sounds very good ( I looked it up).

hatshepsut

Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:52 pm

I'm rereading a book I first read when it came out in 1974. It turns out the book is somethng of a classic in Philosophy, of all things, something I didn't know when I first read it all those years ago. The title: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, would you believe it? I bought a paperback copy back then because Tom and I were in our motorcycle riding days, having made a trip from Illinois to California, and almost back, on a Honda 750. The motorcycle broke down on the last 30 miles or so and a friend brought us the rest of the way home. Had to take the cycle apart to get it in the small U-Haul trailer we rented and it was late at night and everyone was tired so Tom and his friend just left the parts of the bike on our driveway. The next morning our neighbors thought we had been in a terrible motorcycle accident! To get back to the book, that's why the title caught my interest. However, it turns out the book has very little to do with either Zen or motorcycle maintenance, but a lot to do with interesting ideas that totally intrigued me. Even those thoughts and ideas that I didn't really understand because they were over my head, were still very interesting to me ... and how many books can one say that about? So now I am reading it again on my Amazon Kindle.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:05 am

Interesting mindysue. I have heard of the book but I haven't read it. My late husband and I took a motorcyle trip to Colo once to see some of the waterfalls there. It was a lot of fun except the thunderstorm we got caught in.

hatshepsut

Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:35 pm

Mindysue,
I read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance years ago, too, and quite enjoyed it. I have some other books about Zen Buddhism as well. I don't claim to always understand it but it is fascinating.
Back to top Go down
AlienBZ
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:56 pm

Hmm, I wonder, do books about computer programs/books about computer repair/graphic novels/comic books count in this thread (since I don't read novels, however, I read graphic novels/comic books)?

Just wondering.

EDIT - just recalled - I read a couple of sci-fi stories in Nebula Winners Thirteen by Delaney about 15 - 30 years ago, stories in question were "Particle Theory" and "The Screwfly Solution". It was the Screwfly Solution that made me take steps to get a job as a pest control worker (exterminator), and I actually went to PA USDA to take a test, actually passed it, but it was open book (now if only these CompTia exams for Essentials, network, security, etc, were open book like that, as just as easy...) but I never got hired by a local company (although I got as far as the job interview, and without any BVR-type assistance, too!), so pest control job didn't work out (I don't care now, but I now see it as a stepping stone to computer tech job) anyway, this is what got me interested in playing Fire Ant Exterminator using squirt guns with backpacks/hoses attached to them in '96 - '97 - wow, I thought I was the Screwfly Exterminator!
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:14 am

No abz the Book thread is for novels that people are reading or have recently read or a book that they think others will enjoy. study

hatshepsut

Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:14 am

hatshepsut wrote:
No abz the Book thread is for novels that people are reading or have recently read or a book that they think others will enjoy. study

hatshepsut

What about that book I mentioned - Nebula Winners Thirteen by Samuel R Delany?
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:19 am

Quote :

What about it abz ? scratch

hatshepsut

Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:34 am

hatshepsut wrote:
Quote :

What about it abz ? scratch

hatshepsut

Does that book count for this thread?
Back to top Go down
Lady Kestrel
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:46 am

If you think someone might enjoy the book, then tell us something about it and why you liked it. I've read some Delany, but not in a long while.
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:24 am

Speaking of sci-fi, I read an anthology of Hugo Winners many years ago and there was one short story that was totally awesome and I say this even though I do not like sci-fi, or short stories! Howsomever, Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes (I'm sure of the story's title, not so sure of the author's name) was a reading experience I will never forget. The movie Charly was based on this story, but reading it was so much more because the story was told in diary form in Charlie's own words. As he changed, the diary changed also, and that made it so personal and emotional that I will never get over it. A truly exceptional story!

P.S. When the presenter, Isaac Asimov, gave him the award he said that he expected to see a man ten feet tall, not a normal man. Shows how much he liked it and I quite agree!
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:06 am

Yes Flowers For Algernon was a story written by Daniel Keyes, he later wrote expaned the story into a novel. It was a good book. The movie was good also.

hatshepsut

Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:25 am

It was a wonderful story but so sad.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:10 am

Yes it was very sad.

hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Today at 2:30 am

Back to top Go down