Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.

Adventure games Point & Click and all things PC games

HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Good Books

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
hatshepsut
Adventurer Extraordinaire

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:51 am

Just finished reading
Interview With the Vampire by Anne Rice.
It tells the story of Louis made a vampire by Lestat. It tells the story of the relationship between Louis, Lestat and Claudia. Louis and Claudia travel across Europe in search of answers to the dark gift and other vampires. It is a story of danger and flight, loyalty and treachery, as vampires are created, destroyed, avenged and remade.

Pandora by Anne Rice
Tells the story of Pandora and Marius. How they met and fell in love in Imperial Rome as mortals. And later how they were reunited in Antioch and both became vampires. A lifetime spanning 2,000 years as a vampire.

Merrick by Anne Rice
Tells the story of Merrick who is a Mayfair witch, David Talbot who is a vampire and Louis.

hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:33 am

Just finidhed reading Smoken' Seventeen by Janet Evanovich.. Very good book good humer and interesting story. Another Stephanie Plum New Jersey bounty hunter adventure.

With a cold - blooded killer after her, a handful of hot men and a capture list that includes a dancing bear and a senior citizen vampire, Stephanie's life is about to go up in smoke.

hatshepsut

Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:00 am

I like the Stephanie Plum series, Hats. I love Evanovich's humor, and get a kick out of the stories happening in places I know. One of them takes place in the shore town where I was born and where my mom went to high school.

I just finished Iris Johansen's 6th Eve Duncan mystery/thriller, Countdown. Her books are real page turners, and since I'm still in the mood, I'm going to start the next one called Stalemate.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:13 pm

Lady K it is really cool that Evanovich's books take place in places you are familiar with. Smile I love her humor too. This was the first book by her that I've read. I'm now looking for the rest of the Stephanie Plum books. I love going shopping for books you never know what you'll find Very Happy

hatshepsut

Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:38 pm

I used to read Iris's books as soon as they came out. I have many to catch up on now. I am reading The Infernal Devices Book 2 The Clockwork Prince By Cassandra Clare. While I will be laid up a bit I may start George R. R. Martins A Game Of Thrones series. They have been sitting in my TBP pile.
Back to top Go down
lakerz
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:54 am

It's been a while since I've read an Anne Rice book, but when the Vampire series first came out, I read them all as they were released. Very good and atmospheric books, I loved them.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:23 am

I loved the Anne Rice Vampire series too. I have three more left to read.

I've started reading Envy by Sandra Brown now. Pretty good book so far.

hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:11 pm

Last month I finished reading
Envy
Smoke Screen
Chill Factor
Tough Customer
Play Dirty
and Smash Cut all by Sandra Brown. All are mystery murder stories and are pretty good reading.

Last week I read:

The Unseen by Richie Tankersley Cusick
It is the story of Lucy who one night while walking in a grave yard comes across a dying girl who gives her the gift. The gift to see into the past and the future. It also gives her a connection to an age old killer.

Farewell, Jackie: A Portrait of Her Final Days by Edward Klein
An interesting glimpse into the life and final days of the former First Lady.

The Dig by Alan Dean Foster
A very good book about a mission to divert an asteroid that is not an asteroid and the three people who find themselves stranded on a seemingly deserted planted. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves science fiction.

The Blackstone Chronicles by John Saul
Another very good book and like the game very disturbing. It is insightful and helps give more understanding to the game. The book is more graphic than the game.

hatshepsut

Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:34 am

I'd like to read The Blackstone Chronicles at some point also

I've finished up Micro, the Crichton book that never got finished. It was okay but of course could of used that great Crichton polish that make his finished products so great.

I also read the new Janet Evonavich, Lee Child, and Stuart Woods books. They were decent but not in my favorites group with what those authors wrote previously.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:31 am

Finished reading these books this week:

The Woman in Black by Susan Hill
ArthurKipps is an up and coming London solicitor who is sent to Crythin Gifford -- a faraway town in the windswept salt marshes beyond Nine Lives Causeway -- to attend the funeral and settle the affairs of a client, Mrs. Alice Drablow of Eel Marsh House. Mrs. Drablow's house stands at the end of the causeway, wreathed in fog and mystery, but Kipps is unaware of the tragic secrets that lie hidden behind its sheltered windows. The routine business trip he anticipated quickly takes a horrifying turn when he finds himself haunted by a series of mysterious sounds and images -- a rocking chair in a deserted nursery, the eerie sound of a pony and trap, a child's scream in the fog and most terrifying of all, a ghostly woman dressed all in black.

Murder Within Murder by Frances and Richard Lockridge
Miss Amelia Gipson, a retired professor from a small Indiana college, is doing research for a book about spectacular old murder cases that North Books Inc is planning to publish. No one in the crowded reading room of the New York Public Library is more surprised than she when she slumps across the table, dead of sodium fluoride poisoning, a few minutes after drinking from the water fountain. Has an old murderer returned to kill her and prevent the disclosure of incriminating evidence ? Was this a murder within murder ? These are the first but not the last questions that confront Jerry and Pam North when they begin to investigate the sudden demise of their editorial worker.

hatshepsut

Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:07 am

Ang, I read the first Game of Thrones book late last year. The first 200+ pages I struggled with it a little because there are *so* many characters the book introduces while giving the reader an idea of this immense world. The next 500 pages were very enjoyable though. I have parts 2-4 of the series sitting on my bookcase waiting for my attention. What a Face

Right now I'm reading a Michael Connelly book called 'The Drop'. Only 50 pages in but so far so good. I like the Bosch series of crime/detective novels.
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:22 pm

I recently finished reading Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson on my Kindle and found it to be interesting reading although I am not an Apple fan and don't own a single Apple product. Steve Jobs was a very complex person because he didn't follow the usual polite society rules, so I think that many people misjudged him. They thought he was being deliberately rude, when he was simply being his own honest self. He called things as he saw them at the time. He would say a product was bad and only a short time later he could say it was great, and that confuses most people, I guess. One comment he made was something like: I am what I am and how can people expect me to be what I am not. Exactly! But that's people for you. Social people wear a mask and filter how they act, but not every person can do this as I most surely know. So I didn't think Steve Jobs was nearly as impossible to understand given the way his mind worked. He really did have a great vision for Apple and how he wanted it to be and he did succeed very well at that, since Apple is now considered to be one of the most valuable companies in the world.

Last edited by mindysue on Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrected a spelling error!)
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:50 pm

I've recently read Uncle Fred In The Springtime, a funny book by P.G. Wodehouse of Jeeves and Wooster fame. It was good. Smile

Also read Pride and Prejudice. It's one of the best novels I've ever read and I loved it. Very Happy

Now reading Wuthering Heights. Not as good as P&P. Really dislikeable characters. But that's how it's meant to be.

An Adventurer's strength flows from the Point'n'Click Force.But beware The Dark Side my friend.Anger,rage,aggression.The dark side of the gaming Force are they.Easily they flow,quick to join you in a fight.If once you start down the dark path of RPGs, Action-Adventures or . . eek! . . Casual Games (brrr!),forever will it dominate your destiny.Consume you it will,as it did Ethel,of whom we dare not speak for fear of instant expulsion from our true faith of Point'n'Click.
Back to top Go down
http://adventurepoint.co.uk
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:22 am

Just finished reading:

V is for Vengeance by Sue Grafton

A spiderweb of dangerous relationships lies at the heart of V is for Vengeance,
A woman with a murky past who kills herself - or was it murder ? A spoiled kid awash in gambling debt who thinks he can beat the system. A lovely woman whose life is about to splinter into a thousand fragments. A professional shoplifting ring working for the Mob, racking up millions from stolen goods. A wandering husband, rich and ruthless. A dirty cop so entrenched on the force he is immune to exposure. A sinister gangster, conscienceless and brutal. A lonely widower mourning the death of his lover, desperate for answers. which may be worse than the pain of his loss. A private detective, Kinsey Millhone, whose thirty - eighth - birthday gift is a punch in the face that leaves her with two black eyes and a busted nose.
And an elegant and powerful businessman whose dealings are definitely outside the law: the magus at the center of the web.

and

The Murders of Richard III by Elizabeth Peters

The Murders of Richard III are the focus of a weekend costume affair at an English country Mansion. American Jacqueline Kirby expects only one mystery as the fanatic devotees of Richard III gather in hopes of clearing his name of the 500 - year - old charges. She is amused at the group's eccentricities until history begins to repeat itself. A dangerous practical joker recreates famous fifteenth - century murder methods and the jokes become more and more macabre until one proves nearly fatal.

hatshepsut

Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:45 am

I finished The Chalk Girl by Carol O'Connell, another great page-turner in the Kathy Mallory series, and I'm nearly half-way through Stephen King's Under the Dome, which is why I haven't been posting much lately. (It's going to be another late reading night, I think.) I also started Raptor Red by paleontologist Robert T. Bakker. I don't usually read more than one book at a time, but I needed a paperback I could carry around with me since King's book is so huge. It's an excellent story from the dinosaur's point of view, and I hope to get back to it in a couple of days.
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:49 pm

Stephen King is a great writer, but I can no longer read any of his books. I read some of his early books (especially Cujo) and liked them a lot. Then came the one about pets being buried and returning to life, but drastically changed, and that upset me so badly that I've never been able to take a chance on reading another of his books. He is just too good for my peace of mind.
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:02 pm

Hmmm.... I found Pet Semetary to be one of his best books .
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:07 pm

Finished Wuthering Heights. Hmmm! Not fantastic.

An Adventurer's strength flows from the Point'n'Click Force.But beware The Dark Side my friend.Anger,rage,aggression.The dark side of the gaming Force are they.Easily they flow,quick to join you in a fight.If once you start down the dark path of RPGs, Action-Adventures or . . eek! . . Casual Games (brrr!),forever will it dominate your destiny.Consume you it will,as it did Ethel,of whom we dare not speak for fear of instant expulsion from our true faith of Point'n'Click.
Back to top Go down
http://adventurepoint.co.uk
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:29 pm

I agree mindysue, Stephen King is a great writer but just to good for my peace of mind. The only book of his that I have read is The Shining, it scared me so much that I swore I would never read another one of his books and I haven't. I do watch all of his movies and I love them.

Gelert sorry you didn't find Wuthering Heights fantastic. It is a rather dark brooding story and the characters aren't always very likable.

hatshepsut

Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:36 pm

I've read nearly all of Stephen King's book . He's a very good writer ! As for the movie adaptations of his books , the only movie that I thought really stunk , was Maximum Overdrive . The soundtrack was the best part of that movie ! The Shining was a very good book ! The movie , good in it's own right , but left a few things out .
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:17 pm

Hmm, I read and liked The Shining. It was the book with REDRUM if I recall correctly. Spooky and scary, but not upsetting in the way Pet Semetary (I guess that's the book) freaked me out. I still shudder at that one.
Was it one of Stephan King's books about a man who could foretell a person's future, or a disaster, after touching someone? The man had been in a coma that altered his mind in some way. There was a TV series that ran for a short time that had the same title, which totally eludes me!
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:42 pm

I think the book you mean is The Dead Zone.

I watched both version of The Shining. They were both good but didn't really do justice to the book. I really didn't think The Shining was as disturbing as it was scary. But maybe you have to live with someone like that for the book to be as scary as it was to me.

Hmmm all this talk of Stephen King almost makes me want to read another one of his books. lol maybe I'll just watch one of his movies.

hatshepsut

Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:32 am

Pet Cemetary, once i read that book I had to go back and read all of his older books. That was the first book that legitimately freaked me out. To this day I still remember the last paragraph. <shudder>

I have King's newest book sitting in my bookshelf patiently waiting it's turn to be read. I've heard good things about 11/22/63 but it will be some time till I get to it because each Game of Thrones book is around 1000 pages long. affraid
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:05 am

I've heard that 11/22/63 is really good too. I'm thinking about getting it.

hatshepsut

Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:05 pm

The Dead Zone, of course! Thanks, hatshepsut, you are a wonder! cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good Books   Today at 10:09 am

Back to top Go down

Good Books
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next