Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure games Point & Click and all things PC games

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

GOG.com Shutting down

Go down 
+3
Faust
Jen
hatshepsut
7 posters
AuthorMessage
hatshepsut
Adventurer Extraordinaire
hatshepsut

GOG.com Shutting down Empty
PostSubject: GOG.com Shutting down   GOG.com Shutting down EmptySun Sep 19, 2010 6:32 pm

GOG.com is shutting it's doors. Very sad news for gamers who can't find that old game or just can't get an old game to run. I am just so sorry to hear this news. Thanks to GOG I have been able to play many old games that otherwise I wouldn't have been able to play. I will miss GOG. I hope them every success in their future endeavers. And hopefully at some point can bring us another site like GOG.

Quote from GOG website

Dear GOG users,

We have recently had to give serious thought to whether we could really keep GOG.com the way it is. We've debated on it for quite some time and, unfortunately, we've decided that GOG.com simply cannot remain in its current form.

We're very grateful for all support we've received from all of you in the past two years. Working on GOG.com was a great adventure for all of us and an unforgettable journey to the past, through the long and wonderful history of PC gaming.

This doesn't mean the idea behind GOG.com is gone forever. We're closing down the service and putting this era behind us as new challenges await.

On a technical note, this week we'll put in place a solution to allow everyone to re-download their games. Stay tuned to this page and follow us on Twitter and Facebook for updates.

All the best,
GOG.com Team

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Jen
Opportunist Explorer
Jen

PostSubject: Re: GOG.com Shutting down   GOG.com Shutting down EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 7:35 pm

Rumors abound that this is a poorly conceived marketing stunt. Rolling Eyes We'll have to wait and see, I guess.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: GOG.com Shutting down   GOG.com Shutting down EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 8:14 pm

Hi Jen

Yes the rumors are flying fast and furious. And GOG's announcement is certainly open to more than one interpretation. I am wondering if GOG is possibly reworking it's website.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: GOG.com Shutting down   GOG.com Shutting down EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 12:07 am

Things that make you go hmmm.......
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: GOG.com Shutting down   GOG.com Shutting down EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 12:30 am

Yes indeed Faust.

This was just posted at GOG.com:

UPDATE 20.09.2010
First of all, we apologize everyone for the whole situation and closing GOG.com. We do understand the timing for taking down the site caused confusion and many users didn't manage to download all their games. Unfortunately we had to close the service due to business and technical reasons.

At the same time we guarantee that every user who bought any game on GOG.com will be able to download all their games with bonus materials, DRM-free and as many times as they need starting this Thursday.

The official statement from GOG.com's management concerning the ongoing events is planned on Wednesday. If you want to receive further information about GOG.com, please send an email to update_media@gog.com if you're a media representative or to update_users@gog.com if you're a user without a GOG account.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: GOG.com Shutting down   GOG.com Shutting down EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 12:38 am

A lawsuit from the game's makers maybe ? If this turns out to be some sort of publicity stunt, as has been rumored , then GOG deserves to be shut down for good ! Although , I would've like to have been a fly on the wall when this decision was made !
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: GOG.com Shutting down   GOG.com Shutting down EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 12:50 am

I would've liked to have been a fly on the wall at that meeting too

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: GOG.com Shutting down   GOG.com Shutting down EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 6:19 pm

Check this out !!

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/09/22/gog-com-apologise-for-hoax-closure/

What were they thinking ?? Makes me wonder if the site owners were drinking some special kool-aid , or they had their heads buried in a certain part of the human anatomy !
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: GOG.com Shutting down   GOG.com Shutting down EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 7:57 pm

I agree Faust just what were they thinking.

Anyway GOG is going to reopen Thursday with a new revamped website.

New revamped website
No DRM
A few free games
Easier registration
Making all games Win 7 compatable
Baulders Gate $9.99

This was put up on GOG's site just a little while ago
GOG

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
AlienBZ
Daredevil Pioneer
AlienBZ

PostSubject: Re: GOG.com Shutting down   GOG.com Shutting down EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 12:07 am

What about people who are still running XP? Will these new gog.com games be XP compatible as well as Win 7 compatible?
Back to top Go down
gruefeeder
Opportunist Explorer
gruefeeder

PostSubject: Re: GOG.com Shutting down   GOG.com Shutting down EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 9:32 pm

AlienBZ wrote:
What about people who are still running XP? Will these new gog.com games be XP compatible as well as Win 7 compatible?
It's exactly the same as before with a few new features in the website.
Only one new game that I can see.
Not all of their games are currently labelled Windows 7 compatible, at least not yet.
For example Sacred Gold only lists Windows XP and Vista

Also the games that have multiplayer require you to email them for a code for the multiplayer part. They say: "To play over the Internet, you will need to obtain and register a unique CD key. Until we introduce an automated key distribution system, please contact Support to request your unique key. You will receive it as soon as possible (usually within one business day)."

I'm still having problems with random screens not loading when I browse their website. I think it has to do with their site being busy. I suspect most of the traffic is not leading to purchases though -- just people browsing their website to see what's changed.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: GOG.com Shutting down   GOG.com Shutting down EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 9:42 pm

I only had trouble with one screen not loading also but I refreshed and then it loaded. I think you right about it having more traffic than usual and causing the screens not to load. I couldn't see much difference between the new website and the old one either.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: GOG.com Shutting down   GOG.com Shutting down EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 9:47 pm

I was able to navigate the site earlier today . Looks like things are up and running , for now !
Back to top Go down
lakerz
Daredevil Pioneer
lakerz

PostSubject: Re: GOG.com Shutting down   GOG.com Shutting down EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 6:29 am

I just read about the GOG closure today, and right away was like (#*&$#^#$*#* I still have games I purchased but have yet to download, hehehe. Thank goodness this was just a (bad) joke! I'm not laughing but feel relieved at least...
Back to top Go down
ellen941
Wanderer's Apprentice
ellen941

PostSubject: Re: GOG.com Shutting down   GOG.com Shutting down EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 1:42 am

cheers I don't think that they are shutting down because as of today, 11/28/10, I'm still getting emails from them about games on sale and up comming releses on GOG site.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: GOG.com Shutting down   GOG.com Shutting down EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 1:50 am

Hi ellen941

GOG isn't shutting down. It was a rather ill conceived promotion for their new designed website.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: GOG.com Shutting down   GOG.com Shutting down EmptyMon Nov 29, 2010 2:06 pm

They are indeed , not shutting down ! Matter of fact , I got an email from G.O.G earlier , they are now taking pre orders for The Witcher 2 . I did some digging , & G.O.G is under the umbrella of the same company that publishes the Witcher games , which is CD Projekt RED .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GOG.com Shutting down   GOG.com Shutting down Empty

Back to top Go down

GOG.com Shutting down
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Adventure Point Forum :: GAME FORUMS :: Adventure Game Discussions-
Jump to: