Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure games Point & Click and all things PC games

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gabriel Knight

Go down 
+4
winfrey
Gelert
GreyFuss
hatshepsut
8 posters
AuthorMessage
hatshepsut
Adventurer Extraordinaire
hatshepsut

Gabriel Knight Empty
PostSubject: Gabriel Knight   Gabriel Knight EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 12:59 am

I started playing the Gabriel Knight series this pat Oct. I played them back to back starting with Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred Blood of the Damned and continueing with GK 2: The Beast Within, finishing a few days ago with GK 1: Sins of the Fathers. This is an old series that most seasoned adventure players know and of which alot has been written. The series has stayed with me and I felt compelled to write a few words about it. So without further ado I will begin last to first.

Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred Blood of the Damned relesed in 1999. I played this game on Win XP with no trouble. The graphics are dated and movement awkward. More pixel hunting than an easter egg hunt. But once you get past these problems you have a good story. Good voice acting and a very good music sound track. Grace and Mosely both return to this game.

Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within relesed in 1996 this game is FMV. I played on a Win 98. It will also play on Win XP. The Beast Within is a very good story and the music track is very good. If you haven't played FMV the game play might be a little hard to get use to. But it is well worth the effort with this game.

Gabriel Knight 1: Sins of the Fathers released in 1993. I played this game on Win 98.
The graphics and game movement are comparable to games of the early 90's. The story once again is good. The voice acting good. The music sound track is ok. I didn't have any problems playing the game.

Gabriel Knight 1,2 and 3 have seperate stand alone stories on the surface that could be played alone. However there is an evolving underlying story that starts in GK1 and continues to completion in GK 3. It is the story of a man who has a destiny. It is also a love story. It is the story of a man coming to terms with a destiny that he was born into. If you are looking for a good story , puzzles, some humor, some suspense you will find it all in the Gabriel Knight series. There are a few scenes that could be considered gruesome and some strong language.

I enjoyed playing all 3 games and would recommend them to anyone who hasn't played them.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
GreyFuss
GreyFuss

Gabriel Knight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Knight   Gabriel Knight EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 1:12 am

Very nicely written Hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

Gabriel Knight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Knight   Gabriel Knight EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 1:37 am

Thanks Hatshepsut. That was an excellent glimpse of what can be expected from the series. It's also made me more eager to play the one I've missed, GK2. I started with GK3 as well (a good few years ago), and only played Sins of the Fathers recently. flower
Back to top Go down
http://adventurepoint.co.uk
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

Gabriel Knight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Knight   Gabriel Knight EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 2:48 am

Thank you Greyfuss and Gelert.

Gelert when you play The Beast Within I think that you will not only find it an excellent game but a darker more suspenseful game than the other two were. When you do play it I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
winfrey
Daredevil Pioneer
winfrey

Gabriel Knight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Knight   Gabriel Knight EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 4:21 pm

Thanks for the nice review, I have them in my to be played pile--- Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/winfreysgames/
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

Gabriel Knight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Knight   Gabriel Knight EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 4:45 pm

Thank you winfrey. I hope when you play them you enjoy them as much as I did.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
danyboy
Wanderer's Apprentice
danyboy

Gabriel Knight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Knight   Gabriel Knight EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 5:27 am

The Gabriel Knight games are among the first ones I played and they were the ones that made me an adventure adddict, great mini review hatshepsut!

CU

danyboy Smile
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

Gabriel Knight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Knight   Gabriel Knight EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 5:30 pm

Hi danyboy nice to see you. I really liked the Gabriel Knight series. I think the Beast Within will always be one of my all time favorites.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
danyboy
Wanderer's Apprentice
danyboy

Gabriel Knight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Knight   Gabriel Knight EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 8:21 pm

Nice to see you too hatshepsut! Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within is also my favourite of the series.

CU

danyboy Smile
Back to top Go down
HandsFree
Swashbuckling Globetrotter
HandsFree

Gabriel Knight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Knight   Gabriel Knight EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 12:57 pm

I think gk1 and 2 are the highlights of the adventure genre (together with Tex Murphy). GK1 is amazing in how it uses puzzles and gameplay to draw you into the story. And of course there's that music. I wasn't fond of the interface though, with all the different icons, and the graphics have become very dated.
That's why #2 is my favorite as well.
Unfortunately 3# still stands as the worst game I've ever played.
I shall not eleborate here, to keep this a positive thread. lol!
Back to top Go down
GreyFuss
GreyFuss

Gabriel Knight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Knight   Gabriel Knight EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 2:14 pm

Actually it was GK2 The Beast Within, the Phantasmagorias and first person games that that almost ruin adventure gaming in my early days of adventuring. These games spoiled me about how adventure games where entertaining to me. For quite a while I could not stand games with computer generated characters and when GK3 came out i couldn't believe how they took such a giant leap backwards in a game experience. It took me a many months of no FMV or first person game withdrawals before I even attempted any computer generated games.
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

Gabriel Knight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Knight   Gabriel Knight EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 5:40 pm

This game review, and others like it, so meticulously crafted by one of our dedicated members here, is presented in its deservedly elegant format .... here;

Adventure Point Reviews section
Back to top Go down
mbday630
Opportunist Explorer

Gabriel Knight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Knight   Gabriel Knight EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 12:56 am

I first played GK2 and even had dreams about how to solve some of the puzzles. I was so addicted to that game. Then I saw an ad for GK1 that was on sale for 1.99 and I ran to the store to pick that up. I enjoyed that game as much as GK2. I wasn't as crazy about GK3, as I have a hard time with timed puzzle sequences and until I had my daughter get me past that miserable pendulum puzzle i couldn't go any further. I wish all games had an option that you could skip an action sequence, especially in adventure games. If you play an action game than it is expected to do that, but I think an adventure game should be all about adventure. so, GK3 was definitely the worst on my list, but I still did enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
KwaZulu
Wanderer's Apprentice

Gabriel Knight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Knight   Gabriel Knight EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 9:09 pm

GK1 & 2 are certainly two of my all time favourites.
It's not often you get completely immersed in the story but both of these had me hooked from the start.
Not tried GK3 yet as it looked a bit errr "arcadey" is it a "real" adventure game?
KwaZulu
Back to top Go down
mbday630
Opportunist Explorer

Gabriel Knight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Knight   Gabriel Knight EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 10:24 pm

You definitely should try GK3, it is an adventure game for sure, but the few action sequences will ruin it, (at least for me), but if you can get past those, it has a riveting story and lots of fun puzzles.

I have been playing Day of the Tentacle lately and also Flight of the Amazon Queen. The stories are that great, but those puzzles are awesome. I am having so much fun.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

Gabriel Knight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Knight   Gabriel Knight EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 10:37 pm

Hi KwaZulu and Gabriel Knight 506268 to Adventure Point Smile

Yes Gabriel Knight 3 is a real adventure game. The Gabriel Knight games are among my favorites also. Gabriel Knight 3 has a good story and I did enjoy it but it really doesn't compare to the first two GK. The graphics are a disappointment and navigation is difficult. It's worth the gameplay if for no other reason than solving the famous Le Rouge puzzle. Smile

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

Gabriel Knight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Knight   Gabriel Knight EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 10:43 pm

Yes GK 3 had some action sequences that had me pulling my hair.

mbday630 are you enjoying Flight of the Amazon Queen ? It's kind of a quirky little game in ways. I enjoyed playing it.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
GreyFuss
GreyFuss

Gabriel Knight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Knight   Gabriel Knight EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 10:44 pm

Hi Kwazulu

Welcome to The Point

Gabriel Knight 12235
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

Gabriel Knight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Knight   Gabriel Knight EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 11:00 pm

KwaZulu, many people say they don't like GK3, but many say they do. I really liked it. In fact it's in my top 10.

Great atmosphere. I was really absorbed by it.

It made up my mind to visit Rennes Le Chateau too. Well, well worth it. Lovely place. And not touristy. Surprised at that.
Back to top Go down
mbday630
Opportunist Explorer

Gabriel Knight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Knight   Gabriel Knight EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 1:06 am

I am loving playing the Flight of the Amazon Queen again, my only complaint with the game is his slow walking pace. I like that it has different locations, and Sloth Island was a lot of fun to figure out how to go through that place. The puzzles were pretty logical and all in all, just a really fun old adventure game. I am so glad I got it to run on ScummVm. I could never get it to play on my other computers, so this is a real treat.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

Gabriel Knight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Knight   Gabriel Knight EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 2:23 am

Oh yes the slow walking, that would be my only complaint with Flight of the Amazon Queen too. Yes I remember Sloth Island and trying to figure out how to get through it. It was fun game. I enjoyed it very much. It's one of my favorite games.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gabriel Knight Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Knight   Gabriel Knight Empty

Back to top Go down

Gabriel Knight
Page 1 of 1