Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.

Adventure games Point & Click and all things PC games

HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

DarkStar Developer Jeff Williams On Board to Answer Any Questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Paradox
Wanderer's Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: DarkStar Developer Jeff Williams On Board to Answer Any Questions   Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:30 am

In the story you wake up in the middle of a nightmare. 312 years have passed and the world is gone, destroyed. You find out slowly that your ship is part of a mission to reach a time hole called DARKSTAR in a desperate attempt to go back in time and change the past so that the apocalypse never occurs. Unfortunately, someone with their own agenda stands in your way, and you have no idea who you can trust. You are allowed to explore and interact with the world just like in an old-school 90's adventure game, but with the anemities of a feature film...over 13 ours of linear footage with alternate plot threads.

Valli Florez indeed was the original actress cast to play the lead female role of Paige Palmer, I met her when she worked with Suzanne Somers on some of her exercise videos. Trace Beaulieu and I were working together (Crow T. Robot and Dr. Clayton Forrester of Mystery Science Theater 3000) and he brought in Beez McKeever from the show to do our wardrobe. She coyly asked about the role, and if it was cast. Valli graciously relinquished the lead role for another written in, Paiges' intrepid sister, Pilot of the doomed Northstar — sister ship to the Westwick.
Back to top Go down
Paradox
Wanderer's Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: DarkStar Developer Jeff Williams On Board to Answer Any Questions   Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:33 am

As far as that creepy guy in the picture? Well, my thoughts go back to that scene in the Wizard of Oz where the curtain falls down and the guy behind it says something to the effect of "pay no heed to that weird little man..."
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
Adventurer Extraordinaire

PostSubject: Re: DarkStar Developer Jeff Williams On Board to Answer Any Questions   Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:55 am

So not everything in DARKSTAR is as it seems. Do the different plot threads bring you to the same end or are they different endings ? Or are the different plot thread like different stories leading to the same conclusion.

hatshepsut

Wanderer's Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: DarkStar Developer Jeff Williams On Board to Answer Any Questions   Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:01 am

There are over two dozen "detours" that lead to elaborate death sequences, but there is truly only one ultimate positive outcome. The beauty of the thing is that you experience it on your own terms and do things in the order you want to, as if you are really there, it's totally non-linear.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: DarkStar Developer Jeff Williams On Board to Answer Any Questions   Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:21 am

Over two dozen "detours" sounds like a massive amount of gameplay Smile

Do these elaborate death sequences result in a gameover where you have to go back to a previously saved game? So there isn't a certain order that you have to do things. I really like the feeling of being right there in game. Are there any horror aspects to the game or is it pure science fiction.

hatshepsut

Wanderer's Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: DarkStar Developer Jeff Williams On Board to Answer Any Questions   Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:30 am

You are indeed sent back to wherever you saved last, and you have the ability to "save-as" to allow for splits in your strategies and do things your way...and differently as you go along. There are indeed many "horror" elements, in fact there is a gory "Psycho" moment at one point of the journey. I brought in legendary comic artist Richard Corben (Heavy Metal, Hellboy) to inject his particular gruesome sensibilities into Darkstar, and mixed with the off center humor of the MST folks (and my own dark writing style) it has its own distinct flavor that I think you'll find entertaining and interesting. It's not a typical gaming experience because it's produced by a non-gamer.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: DarkStar Developer Jeff Williams On Board to Answer Any Questions   Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:05 am

I do seem to recall reading that DARKSTAR was produced by a non-gamer. That is very interesting. I have a tendency to get involved in the story and I forget to save for long periods of time. I like a game that is a little different. I enjoy a game that has some horror, mystery and a little off beat humor. It sounds like DARKSTAR has a little of everything that makes a game interesting and enjoyable to me Smile

hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: DarkStar Developer Jeff Williams On Board to Answer Any Questions   Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:11 pm

I only experienced a few of the death scenes. I am going back to watch all of them. My favorite part of watching the death scenes is listening to Peter Graves narrating your death like THIS
Back to top Go down
Paradox
Wanderer's Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: DarkStar Developer Jeff Williams On Board to Answer Any Questions   Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:16 pm

That one's a great example GreyFuss. When I directed Peter I used Rod Serling (Twilight Zone/Night Gallery) as an example of the tone I wanted, to which he said something like "you know, Rod was a neighbor of mine once...but he's dead and let's go." I'm not sure exactly what that meant by that, but he immediately got the vibe and his voice personified the irony, tragedy, and humor the story needed in his many eerie diatribes.
Back to top Go down
Paradox
Wanderer's Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: DarkStar Developer Jeff Williams On Board to Answer Any Questions   Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:18 pm

@ hatshepsut: Your post basically describes the tone of DARKSTAR The Interactive Movie, so I think you would enjoy it very much. Watch the trailers and read some reviews to see if it's for you.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: DarkStar Developer Jeff Williams On Board to Answer Any Questions   Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:29 am

Paradox I have been watching the Alernate Ending Sneak Peak trailer found Here I love it. The whole sequence with it's beauty and subtle horror. Those manacles, what went on here and then we are left with little doubt of what went on there. Then backing out of the whole scene, beautiful and then we notice the statues. It was awesome and chilling. I think this is a game for me Smile

There are some timed sequences right ? Are these timed sequences forgiving?

hatshepsut

Wanderer's Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: DarkStar Developer Jeff Williams On Board to Answer Any Questions   Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:39 am

There are only two timed sequences in DARKSTAR, both near the end. Inside Kane Cooper's (played by Joel Hodgson of Mystery Science Theater 3000) spaceship that you discover down on the alien planet you encounter a situation that gives you two minutes to escape the ship before a bomb destroys it. Near the very end of the story there is a ten minute sequence where you must get to the bad guy before he does his evil stuff to kill you. In both situations you should be able to defeat the problem if you have your wits about you. And if not, you can buy witsfor only $9.95 in the form of the All Revealed Guide, then you basically have me by your side throughout every step of the game. I'd encourage you to beat the thing on your own first.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: DarkStar Developer Jeff Williams On Board to Answer Any Questions   Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:01 am

When it comes to bombs I don't always have my wits about me lol. The last game I played with a bomb in it I blew up the hero about 45 times before I realized I was doing it backwards. Embarassed

I do enjoy the challenge of a puzzle like that Smile

hatshepsut

Wanderer's Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: DarkStar Developer Jeff Williams On Board to Answer Any Questions   Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:08 am

Most of DARKSTAR has the vibe of being in a high tech haunted house. The dark, lonely exploration and fact finding is peppered with little diversions, some darkly comic, some mysterious, some horrific, and some reminiscent of an action sequence out of a Cameron flick. But it's all tied together inside this world that is eerie, interesting, and beautiful to look at. If I do say so myself.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: DarkStar Developer Jeff Williams On Board to Answer Any Questions   Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:36 am

From the trailersand screenshots I looked at it is a beautiful game. I love the lonely exploration and the eerie feeling of being alone.

hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: DarkStar Developer Jeff Williams On Board to Answer Any Questions   Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:03 am

Jeff

Love all the Extras available from the games Menu, especially all the hilarious Outtakes. Knowing the nature of these actors was it really hard to keep them in character during the filming or did you go home everyday with sore cheeks (on face) from laughing so much.
Back to top Go down
Paradox
Wanderer's Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: DarkStar Developer Jeff Williams On Board to Answer Any Questions   Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:22 am

I talked to Trace about this at DragonCon. I asked him if he remembered having that much fun at the time, because I'm so buried in the script, schedule, camera angles, lighting, catering, talent, and abject fear that I'm screwing stuff up on an epic level that I have to see film of myself directing to see that I'm having the time of my life.
Back to top Go down
GreyFuss

PostSubject: Re: DarkStar Developer Jeff Williams On Board to Answer Any Questions   Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:49 am

Outtake Reel
Who's idea was it for Captain Oneil's Built in Utility Belt feature?

My favorite line: " For example: Right now my wife is sleeping with another man......and its me!" Was that your writing?
Back to top Go down
Paradox
Wanderer's Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: DarkStar Developer Jeff Williams On Board to Answer Any Questions   Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:07 am

I made the belt myself and glued the cuss-box on there for my own enjoyment. Then Clive would accidentally activate it while fidgeting around, and it kept things "lively". And I wrote the entire script, I take full blame!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DarkStar Developer Jeff Williams On Board to Answer Any Questions   Today at 2:51 am

Back to top Go down

DarkStar Developer Jeff Williams On Board to Answer Any Questions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2