Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure games Point & Click and all things PC games

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tell me about short, easy games, and... COMEDEY games!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Raj
Wanderer's Apprentice
Raj

Tell me about short, easy games, and... COMEDEY games! Empty
PostSubject: Tell me about short, easy games, and... COMEDEY games!   Tell me about short, easy games, and... COMEDEY games! EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 8:12 pm

Hello everybody... Yes... I'm here too.
THERE'S NO ESCAPING ME!!
MWAHAHAHAHA!!!

One of my favorite games of all time... whether text, graphic, or lima bean... is Nord and Bert Couldn't Make Head nor Tail of It.

I sooooo love that game.

Another classic... that I've never even gotten even very far in... is Wishbringer.

And then there is 9:05. A more contemporary, short, I suppose easy, wonder.

Hey, mighten it be cool to put a link to the grand IF library on this site and encourage people to try to write reviews of old and new?

This is the only adventure game site I can think of that knows IF exists... and BRAVO!!

Maybe there could even be a place for links to nice, easy, short games for beginners like me.

OH MY! I forgot to mention WINFROTZ!! affraid
Gotta run... gotta make a new post so people will see it.

--Happy New Year... or whenever it is that you read this!
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Adventurer Extraordinaire
Gelert

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about short, easy games, and... COMEDEY games!   Tell me about short, easy games, and... COMEDEY games! EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 8:19 pm

Hey Raj! Welcome to the Forums. Smile

Have you checked out the Adventure Point website itself (accessible from the banner on the forums Home Page - the Forums are just the tiniest part of this Adventure Games website)?

The main part of the site has all you ask for, and more (maybe not full reviews as yet), with a section for IF and a featured IF game on the Home Page - you can see the previous Home Page, with Anchorhead featured, by clicking on the link at the bottom of the present Home Page. I have a full section on IF, what it is, how it works, and lots or recommended games that I've played (or haven't - yet!). There are also links to places that you can get and/or play the games, and I've given each listed game a tentative rating based on my knowledge of them and/or whether I've played them.

The section includes some of the links you mention (such as the Z-code, Hugo and TADs interpreters), as does the main Links Page. IF games are very dear to my heart.

As for a light-hearted IF game (modern-ish), try Mother Loose.

One of my all-time favourites is Anchorhead. A cracker! But .... not a comedy by any means.

Let us know what you choose to play, and feel free to post a review here.

Have fun!

Gelert. flower
Back to top Go down
http://adventurepoint.co.uk
Raj
Wanderer's Apprentice
Raj

PostSubject: Oh no... I feel stupid now!   Tell me about short, easy games, and... COMEDEY games! EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 8:42 pm

But... it's not like feeling stupid isn't my primary form of consciousness.

I really am sorry for not checking out the site, as I have now (and man! all the wonderful buzz that's going around about this place is TRUE!), and just jumping into the forums. I just saw an IF forum and got all excited. What a Face

Thanks for the handy mini-map you posted for me and... and... and... thanks for the suggestions of games!! cheers

I'll look before I leap next time.

Thank you for this amazing site and all you do! ❤
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about short, easy games, and... COMEDEY games!   Tell me about short, easy games, and... COMEDEY games! EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 8:53 pm

No problem whatsoever Mr Raj! lol!

I'm sure I've done the same in the past. I appreciate your obviously phenomenal IF enthusiasm and certainly agree with you regarding their overlooked status nowadays.

As I said in another thread, please, please feel free to post up reviews you may feel inclined to write of any IF games you've enjoyed. I may even include one or two on the main part of the website. It'd be a nice addition to help spread the word about IF both old and new. Lots of people don't actually realise that there's a heck of a lot of freely available IF still being produced these days - especially all the good stuff that comes out of the annual IF Competition.

IFcomp

IFarchive

Baf's Guide

Society For the Promotion of Adventure Games (SPAG)

Wink
Back to top Go down
Raj
Wanderer's Apprentice
Raj

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about short, easy games, and... COMEDEY games!   Tell me about short, easy games, and... COMEDEY games! EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 10:31 pm

Hey big guy!

Thanks so much for all that cool stuff in the links, and your kind words... and the IF stuff on this site!!

Gotta go!
Just downloaded Mother Loose and don't want to miss a second of it.

Thanks again for all you do!
Back to top Go down
Gunness
Wanderer's Apprentice
Gunness

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about short, easy games, and... COMEDEY games!   Tell me about short, easy games, and... COMEDEY games! EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 1:56 pm

Raj wrote:
Nord and Bert Couldn't Make Head nor Tail of It.

I sooooo love that game.

Another classic... that I've never even gotten even very far in... is Wishbringer.

I'm with you as far as Wishbringer is concerned. Wonderful game (and not really that complex, so give it another go). But as far as Nord and Bert is concerned.... hmmmm.... I probably wouldn't put it it a thread with "easy" in its title Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.solutionarchive.com
catbytes
Wanderer's Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about short, easy games, and... COMEDEY games!   Tell me about short, easy games, and... COMEDEY games! EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 3:21 am

Oh My God...Wishbringer was one of my favorites...who can ever forget the wishbringer white stone than came in the game box?......
Other favorites were all the Zorks...except Zork Nemesis which I felt was another gender from the other Zorks......Ballyhoo...Lurking Horror...Leather Goddesses of Phobos...and well...let's face it...almost all the Infocoms...
catbytes
Back to top Go down
catbytes
Wanderer's Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about short, easy games, and... COMEDEY games!   Tell me about short, easy games, and... COMEDEY games! EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 3:23 am

Hop...clap...kweepa....LOL....guess this text game...come on...you know...it kept us all up nights..
catbytes
Back to top Go down
Raj
Wanderer's Apprentice
Raj

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about short, easy games, and... COMEDEY games!   Tell me about short, easy games, and... COMEDEY games! EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 9:19 pm

I have no idea!

Come on you Texty people!

Don't leave me hanging with my lantern in the wind! study
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about short, easy games, and... COMEDEY games!   Tell me about short, easy games, and... COMEDEY games! EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 12:59 pm

I didn't know, Raj, but a Google search comes up with Infocom's Leather Goddesses of Phobos. Smile
Back to top Go down
Raj
Wanderer's Apprentice
Raj

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about short, easy games, and... COMEDEY games!   Tell me about short, easy games, and... COMEDEY games! EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 4:54 pm

Thanks Gelert!

Yet another game I'll have to put on my (extremely long) "to play" list!

Man! At this rate I should put my games in my (non-existent) will. I don't think I'll live long enough to play all my games!

Thanks again for solving the mystery of the "kweepa.." cheers
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about short, easy games, and... COMEDEY games!   Tell me about short, easy games, and... COMEDEY games! EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 5:21 pm

Hay Raj!

I love your signature. Very similar to my saying that I often quote on Adventure & Text Adventure threads ............... Graphics aren't everything! In fact the best graphics you'll ever see in an Adventure game are the ones you create in your mind from playing a great Text Adventure.

It's true, isn't it? Smile
Back to top Go down
Gunness
Wanderer's Apprentice
Gunness

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about short, easy games, and... COMEDEY games!   Tell me about short, easy games, and... COMEDEY games! EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 7:25 pm

Another suggestion (just because you don't need any more Very Happy). I'm largely an oldies guy myself, and while most people of "our" kind like Infocom's games, the Magnetic Scrolls titles are a bit overlooked. In particular, both Fish! and Jinxter are quite fun. But they're not exactly easy Wink Still, very well worth your time,

And now that Steve Meretzky (the Leather Goddesses chap) has come up, his early 90's series Spellcasting 101/201/301 deserves a mention, too!
Back to top Go down
http://www.solutionarchive.com
Raj
Wanderer's Apprentice
Raj

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about short, easy games, and... COMEDEY games!   Tell me about short, easy games, and... COMEDEY games! EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 9:56 pm

Hey there Gelert!

I think it could even be proven that graphics are not important to the enjoyment of a game by simply giving some of the old games, even like Return of the Phantom of the Opera-- where the characters look only a few pixels tall--, a chance. Interfaces also don't make so much of a difference if the game is truly fun-- even the old interfaces with the verb buttons on the bottom, like Day of the Tentacle, rather than a "smart" cursor. ( I should admit here, though, that Tex Murphy: Overseer is my all time favorite interface and I have never seen, even today, anything that I think surpasses it.) And although I have been guilty of a misguided first-person over third-person bias, misguided because I have been proved wrong so many times, even perspective is trumped by a fun third-person game over a lonely first-person MYST-y game. And even (going radical on you here), some of the pre-talkie games are so much fun!

All that said without even bringing up the joy of imagination in text games. (Hey... let's start a contest in guessing what a Grue looks like!)

Plot, characters, and puzzles. The basics can make all the difference in the world.

(Entirely by the way, and perhaps even off-topic, what killed the interactive movie format? Money?)

SO... call me a ludite or something, but technology alone can never a good game make.

And Gunness!
Thanks for the tip-off on the Magnetic Scroll and Spellcaster games. Does anyone think that, if you are reincarnated, you could somehow keep your unplayed great games to play them in your next life?

As for difficulty, thank goodness for walkthroughs, but I do wish people would write hint files for the Universal Hint System for text games. That would make them like the fabulous Invisiclues. I know some games, like Nord and Bert, come with the old Invisiclues included-- and what crazy fun that is! (Now foran obscure reference that I'll bet no one will get: "What banana? What monkey?")

Finally... after all I have thought about and said here, there is still one thing, one interface, I am having trouble with. The mix of graphics and text found in Tex Murphy: Mean Streets. For some reason I haven't figured out yet, it rubs me the wrong way. Bizzare, I know. It makes no sense. Forget I said it. It will work itself out in my little mind sometime, I'm sure.

Anyhow, its great to have folks to talk to about all this stuff.
Thanks!
rendeer
Back to top Go down
Raj
Wanderer's Apprentice
Raj

PostSubject: The truly UNIVERSAL Hint System!   Tell me about short, easy games, and... COMEDEY games! EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 6:11 am

Hey Guys!

Just checked out the good old Universal Hint System and there are some hints for text games! affraid cheers

Leather Goddess of Phobos, all the Spellcasting games, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, AND... The Zorks!

Perhaps some of the games I don't recognize are text games too.

SO... Never fear, hints are here! afro

Sally forth and...

TEXT! What a Face
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about short, easy games, and... COMEDEY games!   Tell me about short, easy games, and... COMEDEY games! Empty

Back to top Go down

Tell me about short, easy games, and... COMEDEY games!
Page 1 of 1