Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure games Point & Click and all things PC games

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures

Go down 
+3
lakerz
GreyFuss
hatshepsut
7 posters
AuthorMessage
hatshepsut
Adventurer Extraordinaire
hatshepsut

The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures Empty
PostSubject: The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures   The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures EmptyFri May 20, 2011 9:55 pm

Hardcoregaming101.net Presents: The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures is an ode to one of the oldest genres in electronic gaming. It is 772 pages in length, covers over 300 games and includes a number of interviews with classic game developers. It is an expansive tome, jam packed to the brim with history, criticism, and trivia. If you've ever asked the question "If I like LucasArts and Sierra games, what other games should I play?", then this book should be your bible.

You can read more about the book and view excerpts from it here Hardcore Gaming 101

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
GreyFuss
GreyFuss

PostSubject: Re: The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures   The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures EmptyFri May 20, 2011 10:09 pm

Ouch....$27 for a paperback
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures   The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures EmptyFri May 20, 2011 10:52 pm

It is a little pricey for a paperback. I would prefer hardback for that price.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
lakerz
Daredevil Pioneer
lakerz

PostSubject: Re: The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures   The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures EmptySun May 22, 2011 7:36 am

That does seem pricey for a paperback, but I'm sure they did a financial study to estimate how many people would be interested in a book like that and figured out what the most appropriate price point is to make a profit. Considering that some of the new hardback releases have a MSRP of close to $40 now, it's not totally unreasonable.
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures   The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures EmptySun May 22, 2011 8:09 pm

I think $27 for a paperback with 770 pages is a reasonable price, especially considerng that this will never be on any of the best-seller lists. Anyone know if it will be sold at Amazon? I don't like clicking on links I don't know, so I haven't tried the one above. I did read about this book somewhere earlier this year and I have been interested in it since then. (At least I think it was this book. I know it was about early adventure games, and Sierra and LucasArts games.)
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures   The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures EmptySun May 22, 2011 8:14 pm

Yes mindysue the book is being sold at Amazon.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Mullane
Speculative Fortune-Hunter
Mullane

PostSubject: Re: The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures   The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures EmptyMon May 23, 2011 6:28 am

This would retail for about $40-$45 here, so the price seems good to me. Might have to look into it.
Back to top Go down
GreyFuss
GreyFuss

PostSubject: Re: The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures   The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures EmptyMon May 23, 2011 11:41 pm

I used to read quite a lot before 1995 and my first computer. Adventure games was actually the cause to stop as my need for a escape from reality in an adventure book was replaced. I am way out of touch for prices of paperbacks thats for sure. I have never paid that much for any hard or paper book other than text books for college or my daughters school books. With book reading becoming an ancient art ( like Hieroglyphics)I would have thought they would have become cheaper rather than more expensive. Obviously I was wrong there. Laughing With respect to this book I really don't think they could have anything new to add to knowledge that has already been attained by the Internet for the history of adventure gaming.
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures   The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures EmptyTue May 31, 2011 6:24 pm

Chicken that I am, I finally worked up enough nerve to click on the Hardcore Gaming 101 link above, and lo and behold, there was Amazon! Great, that's my "home away from home" shopping-wise, so I immediately ordered the book. I don't want it to learn facts or knowledge about games, I want it for the nostalgia angle. I want to be able to read and dream of the good old days, those 1980 days of yore when Sierra was new and just starting out and Coarsegold had a magic to it. Everything was new: From computers to games to bulletin boards and CompuServe and there was no Internet as yet. You had to be there and live through those days to understand the excitement of all the changes that were happening back then. Going from text to graphics was a big step, believe you me. Back then there was less technology, but more fun! Nowadays it seems to be the reverse to me, so yes, I wanna go back and $27 is a small price if the book is even one/tenth as good as my expectations or fantasies!
Back to top Go down
GreyFuss
GreyFuss

PostSubject: Re: The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures   The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures EmptyTue May 31, 2011 7:47 pm

Hi Mindy

If you like the nostalgia of Sierra have you checked out the official site that is still maintained by Ken and Roberta Williams? My favorite part of the site is the Sierra Museum with tons of information from Ken about the history of Sierra and the people who worked there with photos. You can even see pics and see what the King and Queen of Sierra have been up to. Now that you have made me think of them again I am going to have to once again peruse the articles there.

SIERRA
Back to top Go down
Mr. Bill
Wanderer's Apprentice
Mr. Bill

PostSubject: Re: The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures   The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 4:38 pm

Hi Mindysue,

I will be interested in your feedback. In the past Hardcore Gaming websites have not been very kind to Adventure Games. I'll be interested in how you feel they treated your very favorite games. It is too bad that the screenshot pictures for the various games ended up in black and white. I know it was a cost factor, but it can't do justice to the games.

Cheers,

Mr. Bill
Back to top Go down
http://www.mrbillsadventureland.com
AlienBZ
Daredevil Pioneer
AlienBZ

PostSubject: Re: The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures   The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 1:13 pm

Perhaps one of these days someone will make a book like this in comic book format with full color screenshots from these different games?
Back to top Go down
GreyFuss
GreyFuss

PostSubject: Re: The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures   The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 1:35 pm

AlienBZ wrote:
Perhaps one of these days someone will make a book like this in comic book format with full color screenshots from these different games?

Do they still sell comic books anymore?
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures   The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 5:39 pm

Yes GreyFuss they still sell comic books.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
GreyFuss
GreyFuss

PostSubject: Re: The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures   The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 6:13 pm

hatshepsut wrote:

hatshepsut
I didn't know that. Where would one see those at and are they for kids like they use to be or adults?
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures   The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 9:00 pm

GreyFuss there are comic books for both kids and adults. You can find comic books for sale at comic book stores, some bookstores and online comic book stores. The 900th issue of Superman just came out yesterday. New issues are released on Weds

hatshepsut

Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures   The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 11:02 pm

GreyFuss,
Comics and comic books (some even in hardcover, mind you) are everywhere in the civilized world, but I don't know about the Grand State of Confusion. Some years back I had several hardcover anthologies of Calvin and Hobbes!
I went to the Sierra link and I enjoyed reading the welcome from Ken Williams and I so totally agree when he wrote that Sierra happened during those magic years when computers went from nowhere to somewhere. He wrote that back in July, 2003, so not exactly up to the minute news, but still interesting to me.

Mr. Bill,
I'm still waiting for the book, which has been shipped according to Amazon, so it should arrive any day now. It's okay if it is in black-and-white, my imagination can fill in the colors. All I really need is a little nudge to my rom, I mean memory.
Back to top Go down
AlienBZ
Daredevil Pioneer
AlienBZ

PostSubject: Re: The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures   The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures EmptyFri Jun 03, 2011 12:53 am

GreyFuss wrote:
hatshepsut wrote:

hatshepsut
I didn't know that. Where would one see those at and are they for kids like they use to be or adults?

GF, we have a comic book store at our local mall. It's called New Dimension Comics. They have lots lots and more comics there. They have comics for all ages, all tastes, and I'm sure there're other places that sell comics books. Just google "comic books for sale" only sometimes they're called graphic novels. Even the local Barnes & Noble has some.
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures   The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 12:35 am

And now, back to The Guide to Classic Adventures which arrived today. What a book! It is about 3 times bigger than I was expecting, weighs over 3 pounds and is roughly 10 x 7 x 2 inches in size. If it came in hardcover, one would probably not be able to lift it.

Hi Mr. Bill,
I've checked out what the book has to say about 3 games that I can recall enjoying quite a bit and, all in all, I mostly agree with it.
First, I went to check out Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers and the article, which wasn't exactly a "review" but more about the story and characters and graphics, with no rating. Description of Gabe: "He's smart and handsome, but also a bit of an arrogant jerk, and a huge slacker to boot." Somewhat harsh, but on the whole fairly accurate, I think. So Gabe had his faults, but that didn't stop him from being a neat character to play.
Second game I read about was Gold Rush and that was fun, brought back memories I had forgotten. According to the book it was: "one of the handful of early Sierra adventures no one remembers." I think that is probably true. The part that brought back some memories was the description about having only 14 minutes to "sell your house, plan your trek and buy your equipment" before starting out. Oh yes, that was some hectic game-playing right enough. I have to smile just thinking about it.
Third game was Heart of China, from Dynamix. Main character was "Lucky" Jake Masters, an out of work pilot "mostly broke, with nothing left to his name but his wits and his plane." Perfect for an adventure game, a guy with nothing to lose so will take on any job, right? In this case, rescuing a rich man's daughter who was kidnapped by a Chinese warlord. The description of the game itself was okay, but not as enthusiastic as I am. It was compared to Indiana Jones and that seemed to mean that it wasn't very original, so a negative opinion, but to me a comparison to Indy is high praise indeed. However, I can understand that attitude so I don't hold that against the review of the game.
I'm happy with the book, although I wish it didn't weigh a ton, well almost.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Bill
Wanderer's Apprentice
Mr. Bill

PostSubject: Re: The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures   The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures EmptySun Jun 05, 2011 11:11 am

Thank you Mindysue.

There is another similar book out, but it covers all genre. It's title is something like this "1001 Video Games You Should Play Before You Die". I saw it at Schuler's Book Store. It had color pics, about 3 plus inches thick with a pricy tag ($45-$50). Found the correct title. Only half the price at Amazon.

Take care,

Bill
Back to top Go down
http://www.mrbillsadventureland.com
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures   The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 3:07 am

CLASSIC GRAPHIC ADVENTURES is what caught my attention and why I bought the book. I'm not interested in VIDEO GAMES which are mostly action/shooters and arcade-type games, mostly played on consoles.
Here's what the book says about one of my top 3 all-time favorite games:
"Fate of Atlantis is arguably one of the greatest games in the graphic adventure genre due to its variety, replay value, fine aesthetics, and the authentic Indiana Jones feeling that could pass it off as an actual film. Very few adventure games offer such a degree of replay and an overall fine combination of aesthetic design, an entertaining story, and well designed puzzles."
I totally agree and it explains why I played it 6 times, a record for me!
I would like to add that there is another game that pretty well fits that description that was released last year, Lost Horizon, with Fenton Paddock as Indy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures   The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures Empty

Back to top Go down

The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures
Page 1 of 1