Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure games Point & Click and all things PC games

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

how to make a game from scratch

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Enter The Story
Wanderer's Apprentice
Enter The Story

how to make a game from scratch Empty
PostSubject: how to make a game from scratch   how to make a game from scratch EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 8:51 pm

I just started planning the next game, so thought I'd blog about it.

I don't know if this is how other people make games (I doubt it!) but it's how I do it. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://enterthestory.com/
hatshepsut
Adventurer Extraordinaire
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: how to make a game from scratch   how to make a game from scratch EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 11:18 pm

That is very interesting how you go about making a game from scratch. Dorian Gray sounds like it is going to present some challenges. The maze sounds good Smile I like mazes. I'll be interested to see how this game turns out. Since Dorian Gray is a shorter story do you anticipate the game being shorter than usual ?

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Enter The Story
Wanderer's Apprentice
Enter The Story

PostSubject: Re: how to make a game from scratch   how to make a game from scratch EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 11:38 pm

hatshepsut wrote:
Since Dorian Gray is a shorter story do you anticipate the game being shorter than usual ?
Yes. I wanted to experiment with shorter games, and this story seemed ideal. it is a real challenge though, as it isn't a normal "he did this then he did that" story. Somehow I need to find a way for the player to discover the horror of what happened, in a way that feels natural, isn't too easy, and is true to the story. Tricky! Smile
Back to top Go down
AlienBZ
Daredevil Pioneer
AlienBZ

PostSubject: Re: how to make a game from scratch   how to make a game from scratch EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 4:26 pm

What software are you using to create your game? Visual Basic Express, or what?

A few months ago I was toying with the idea of fooling around with using the free Visual Basic Express to try to create a short PC game, just to play around and see what makes games tick, and I even bought a book, "Visual Basic Game Programming for Teens, 3rd Edition" by Jonathan S. Harbour.
Back to top Go down
Enter The Story
Wanderer's Apprentice
Enter The Story

PostSubject: Re: how to make a game from scratch   how to make a game from scratch EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 5:18 pm

AlienBZ wrote:
What software are you using to create your game? Visual Basic Express, or what?

A few months ago I was toying with the idea of fooling around with using the free Visual Basic Express to try to create a short PC game, just to play around and see what makes games tick, and I even bought a book, "Visual Basic Game Programming for Teens, 3rd Edition" by Jonathan S. Harbour.
I started with C++, but I'm not a great programmer so it took years! Now I use Adventure Game Studio. Creating game engines is good, but creating games is better. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how to make a game from scratch   how to make a game from scratch Empty

Back to top Go down

how to make a game from scratch
Page 1 of 1