Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.

Adventure games Point & Click and all things PC games

HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Phobos: 1953

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
struzzo
Opportunist Explorer

PostSubject: Re: Phobos: 1953   Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:47 pm

Thanks Hatshepsut!
I'm also afraid that I can't burn it. Just like it was with Corrosion, and I must say that I'm a bit fed up with paying and not owning nothing concrete... I know that I can always reinstall them using my accounts or keywords, but it is not like seeing them on my shelf... Sad
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
Adventurer Extraordinaire

PostSubject: Re: Phobos: 1953   Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:19 pm

I know what you mean struzzo. I like to have the cd and box on my shelf too. It is a pain trying to remember what games you have downloaded and then getting them redownloaded if you have a computer crash. Sad

hatshepsut

Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: Phobos: 1953   Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:04 am

struzzo, sorry should have mentinoed that gamersgate is very much like steam in that you initiate the download/install from online and the client does the rest. There is no way (that I know) to just have a compact executable to download and burn to a DVD. I wish it were otherwise, but yeah, it is what it is. We are at their mercy to keep the games listed in their servers for future downloads when the urge strikes us to replay a beloved game. I don't have my hopes up. Already, a site called direct2drive got bought out by gamefly, and during the transition some games got lost. Any buyer of those....too bad. This is one reason why I will absolutely not pay anywhere clost to full price when I order a digital download form these sites. It is convenient to do so, but I personally demand a hefty discount to buying something that I don't have control of. Luckily for me, steam and gamersgate always have so much stuff on sale ... some really good deals. I just splurged and bought the Alan Wake collectors edition from gamersgate for around $10.50. Course, saw it listed at GOG for the same price a week later, LOL. I do like GOG.com
Back to top Go down
struzzo
Opportunist Explorer

PostSubject: Re: Phobos: 1953   Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:45 am

Never mind Lakerz, you have nothing to be sorry about! Smile I'd have purchased Phobos anyway... I was waiting for a version in a known language since its first release in Russian years ago!
I like GOG as well. I remember an extraordinary game, Slip Space: the Burma-Shave Analogy, one of the first that I bought in DD. The same developer, Dan Markosian, suggested to burn a back up copy, and that was nice; I designed a beautiful cover for it and now I keep it with my beloved favorite games of ever. But if things go on like this I'll end up capturing screen shots and hang them to the walls to remember the good times I had playing... how sad!

Today we have an almost pleasant wind from NW, if it doesn't vanish too soon maybe I'll start playing Phobos Wink
Back to top Go down
AlienBZ
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: Phobos: 1953   Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:46 am

struzzo wrote:

Struzzo, I wanted to reply to your comment (quoted here) about 1953 not having an install file by PM here at AP, but since Gelert disabled my PM-ing here I've replied to you by PM regarding this game over at Just Adventure's new messageborad/site.

Could you please check it out? Thanks.

Please do not mention your lack of permission to post pm's again. Several members have complained about you so w now have no choice but to continue with these restrictions. I did not ban your pm's ABZ. Admin. did. Final warning. Thankyou. Enjoy your day.
Back to top Go down
struzzo
Opportunist Explorer

PostSubject: Re: Phobos: 1953   Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:55 am

Thanks Alien BZ!
It's a nice idea, and I don't think that there could be anything wrong with taking shots of all my gameplay just as a souvenir, in games that I can't own thoroughly though I regularly payed for them.

But I have an old-fashioned mind, and I love to take a box, or a book, in my hands and look at them even when my computer is turned off ... Smile
Anyway, if this is how it's going to be from now on I'm afraid we can't help it.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Phobos: 1953   Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:13 am

I don't see anything wrong with taking screenshots either struzzo. I think you are right about downloads. I think we are going to start seeing more games come out as downloads.

hatshepsut

Opportunist Explorer

PostSubject: Re: Phobos: 1953   Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:52 am

Yes hatshepsut Sad
It's faster and it helps to keep lower prices and prevents piracy. Pity that I never pirated a crumb in my life and I have to pay the toll all the same with having just totally virtual games... today it's on my HD, tomorrow who knows...

Let's talk of nicer things. I'm just starting to play Phobos... I'll give news Very Happy
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Phobos: 1953   Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:11 am

Enjoy the game struzzo Smile and let us know what you think about it

hatshepsut

Speculative Fortune-Hunter

PostSubject: Re: Phobos: 1953   Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:45 am

If anyone is interested there is a seller on ebay currently offering the boxed version for approximately 18 USD with free shipping.
Back to top Go down
struzzo
Opportunist Explorer

PostSubject: Re: Phobos: 1953   Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:33 am

Thanks a lot Camaro!
I went to have a look and I found it. Seen the title it's the English version for sure!
I think I could afford to pay twice for Phobos, since I'm buying very few games lately, but there's one thing that I can't understand...
I'm certainly not a genius in searching the web, but before purchasing the DD I searched if anywhere a boxed copy was on sale, and I didn't find any. Now, where those copies on E-bay come from??? scratch

@ hats, I'm playing very slowly, just in the cooler hours, but I'm deadly stuck; as I haven't any puzzle still undone it must be something that I don't find... What a Face
Back to top Go down
Camaro
Speculative Fortune-Hunter

PostSubject: Re: Phobos: 1953   Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:43 pm

Hi Struzzo,
Had I read the fine print LOL I would have noticed that it is a pre-0rder. The release date for the retail disc version is July 27 available from the usual UK sellers, i.e. Zavi, The Hut etc. @9.95 BPS.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Phobos: 1953   Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:50 pm

struzzo
I remember the same thing happening to me when I played Outcry and it turned out to be a little thing I had overlooked.

I hope it cools off soon for you.

hatshepsut

Opportunist Explorer

PostSubject: Re: Phobos: 1953   Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:15 am

I see Camaro, thanks! I hadn't noticed it too! No wonder I get stuck for overlooking things Smile

@ hats, I didn't come out of it yet... it must be something very well hidden!!! Rolling Eyes
Thanks for your wishes! During the night it's much better, several degrees less, but at daytime temperature raises again awfully...
Back to top Go down
AlienBZ
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: Phobos: 1953   Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:48 pm

Just bought 1953 KGB earlier this week, used FRAPS to take screenshots of the intro sequence, so far real good - FRAPS did the captures faithfully.

FYI, 1953 KGB d/l's and installs just fine whether it's on a newer (a 2010 model) Win 7 PC that has NVidia Optimus video card, or on a (~2008 model PC) in which XP_sp3 has been installed and has an non-Optimus video card - this knowledge is from my own laptop experience with 1953 KGB so far.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Phobos: 1953   Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:17 pm

struzzo yes it must be something very well hidden or something so obvious you think it couldn't possibly be the answer (I've done that a nuber of times too Smile ) Hoping you have good luck and figure it out. I'm hoping to get Phobos at the end of the month Smile

I really empathize with you heat problems there. We have had triple digit tempertures her where I live for three weeks now (average of 103) It probably won't start cooling off for us till the end of Sept. Right now it's just hot to do anything

hatshepsut

Opportunist Explorer

PostSubject: Re: Phobos: 1953   Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:15 pm

hatshepsut wrote:
... or something so obvious you think it couldn't possibly be the answer...

Yes hats, it was!!! I feel really stupid Laughing But I have to say that I encounter a lot of difficulty understanding the speeches, because there are not subtitles and the voices are often a bit overwhelmed by the sound effects. I looked in the options, but only music is apart from voices, not the sounds, so I understand less than a half of what is said. It's frustrating... I would rather have voices in Russian and subtitles in English.
I'm going on and I like the game, but after this "accident" I don't feel very much at ease playing, especially because most of the speeches won't be repeated, you can hear them just once, and you never know when someone will speak in order to save before (very few savegames too...). I do think that the version could be more accurate. Neutral

hatshepsut wrote:
I really empathize with you heat problems there. We have had triple digit tempertures her where I live for three weeks now (average of 103) It probably won't start cooling off for us till the end of Sept. Right now it's just hot to do anything
This is terrible!!! I have to say that during the night it rained for a while (for the first time in months!), and in the morning temperature was rather lower, but now it's 1 pm and it's rising again... augh! Empathy is mutual Smile

@ Alien BZ, I hope you enjoy the game!
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Phobos: 1953   Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:11 pm

It is too bad that the voices are hard to hear and understand and no subtitles. It sounds like they rushed to finish the game. I always feel a bit dumb when it turns out to be the really obvious answer.

It's only rained here once since the begining of summer. Very unusual for us because we usually get a lot of thunderstorms.

hatshepsut

Opportunist Explorer

PostSubject: Re: Phobos: 1953   Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:41 am

I think that we all feel dumb when we can't perceive just the most obvious things. On the other hand I'm almost sure that for an adventure gamer, used to complicated solutions, obvious answers are the hardest to find... Smile

It happened again, stuck for ages, and this time a few words that I didn't understand at all and couldn't hear a second time were to blame. I had to load the last save and replay until the voice was supposed to speak, then save and listen to it a hundred of times (more or less :-) until I was able to figure out what it meant. Evil or Very Mad
Anyway, cheer up. I'm sure that English speaking players won't have such a problem! Besides the background noises I do not understand spoken English so well.

But you want to know the funniest thing? After Camaro's post, that made me aware of the possibility of having a boxed version if only I had waited, yesterday night I received an ad from an italian online bookstore where I seldom buy books... since the 3rd of August they'll have a boxed version of 1953 KGB unleashed on sale, and... spoken in italian! Aaauughhhhh.... How true that rush is a bad advisor!

Ok, better laugh and learn for next time Very Happy Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Phobos: 1953   Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:12 pm

I guess for me I just expect everything to be hard and complicated in an adventure game. Smile It is nice when you find something fairly easy (even when I don't see it Smile )

I am glad you will be able to get a boxed version. I think I'll hold on for a while longer and see if any boxed version shows up here Very Happy

hatshepsut

PS. I think it is very admirable that you and several others here speak such excellent English. They say that English is one of the hardest language to learn. I think it's because so many of our mean different things and we call a lot of things different names from what everybody else calls them. scratch lol

Swashbuckling Globetrotter

PostSubject: Re: Phobos: 1953   Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:30 pm

The easy games have their purpose too. It is relaxing and enjoyable to play a fairly easy game. Just like a nice walk in the park! Smile
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Phobos: 1953   Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:43 pm

Very true tsampikos, I enjoy a nice easy game after playing a long hard game Smile

hatshepsut

Opportunist Explorer

PostSubject: Re: Phobos: 1953   Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:42 pm

hatshepsut wrote:
I guess for me I just expect everything to be hard and complicated in an adventure game. Smile It is nice when you find something fairly easy (even when I don't see it Smile )

I am glad you will be able to get a boxed version. I think I'll hold on for a while longer and see if any boxed version shows up here Very Happy

hatshepsut

PS. I think it is very admirable that you and several others here speak such excellent English. They say that English is one of the hardest language to learn. I think it's because so many of our mean different things and we call a lot of things different names from what everybody else calls them. scratch lol

Thanks hats Smile I love English language, it's the first foreign language I have studied at school when I was 12 years old, and I don't think that it is so difficult

For Phobos boxed version have you had a look at Camaro's suggestion,
HERE? I red that they send worldwide!
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Phobos: 1953   Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:49 pm

Yes I looked at the one Camaro suggested. Worldwide is good. It appears that they are shipping the game now. Very Happy

hatshepsut

Opportunist Explorer

PostSubject: Re: Phobos: 1953   Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:51 am

I should receive the Italian version within the second week of August and I decided to stop playing until then; so maybe we'll play together for a while Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Phobos: 1953   Today at 8:16 am

Back to top Go down

Phobos: 1953
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next