Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure games Point & Click and all things PC games

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Alter Ego!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
tsampikos
Swashbuckling Globetrotter
tsampikos

Alter Ego! Empty
PostSubject: Alter Ego!   Alter Ego! EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 11:30 am

Alter Ego is a Future Games Adventure which was published in 2010. let's find out if it's a worth to mention game.

1) Story.

Everything takes place in the late years of the 19th century.
Timothy Mooore is an irish Thief who wants to make his dream come true and start in the USA a new life. For that reson he sails to Plymouth/England where he should meet his old Friend Brian, who has the same ambition, in order to find money and make a plan for the Journey.
Detective Bristol has finally arrived in Plymouth where his new office and carreer are waiting for him. He arrives at the right time, since a strange case takes place. From the cemetary was "stolen" a body of a famous Person the night after the funeral. What is going on? Why this person was called "the white beast"? Why everybody was scared of him?As Detective Bristol is trying to find the solution to the whole mystery his investigation will lead him to a common path with Timothy.
This is a nice story. Since it combines the stories of two different persons, who later in the game shall meet, it can't be boring.

Grade: 9/10

2) Graphics:

The game has nice Graphics. Everything is very detailed and carefully designed. The way everything is presented expresses the Dark and Mysterius element which is suitable for a mysterious story in the late 1890s, the years where superstition and fear where common aspects of the english (and not only ) society. There are some cutscenes which are beautyful. A little bit more of Animation wouldn't be bad though.

Grade: 8/10

3) Sound:

Alter Ego has great sound effects but no music during the game. I would say that the absence of music isn't bad, on the contrary it suits better to it's story and plot. The sound effects of Rain, Sewers, wind etc. are very realistic. The voice acting is very good.

Grade: 9/10

4) Gameplay:

Alter Ego is a 3rd Person,mouse driven point and click adventure game. there are unlimited save slots, which are accessed by the game menu, after the ESC key is pressed. By pressing the F1 Key all the hotspots and ways out are shown. The interface is very easy and simple. Alter Ego isn't a difficult game, as the riddles are mostly inventory and dialog based. There aren't any complicated Riddles and this may not like to some hardcore adventure gamers. It's also not a very long game, it can be finished in 2-3 days, if there is enough time available to spend with it. I don't think that this is bad. Not any adventure game has to be difficult with hard puzzles, mazes etc. The easy games have their purpose too. Beginners or "tired" players would appreciate this. I enjoyed this game very much, since I played it right after i had played through Gilbert Goodmate,a generally difficult and long game. What was not very well designed was the plot at the end of the game and the last sequences. There could have been more done, definetly, as the end lets the player with a couple of unanswered questions and no explenation for the "curt" ending.

Grade: 8/10

General:

Alter Ego is a good game. It's worth the money you would spend to buy it. It is suitable to play before a diffcult game, just to warm up, or right after having played one, in order to relax. It is also suitable for beginners. The interesting story, simple and friendly interface, nice sound and graphics are good reasons to buy this game, especially if found in the right price. The end of the game could have been much better, but this is not enough to leave a negative flavour to the gamer.

General Grade: 8/10
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

Alter Ego! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alter Ego!   Alter Ego! EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 12:06 pm

Nice review ! I found the game enjoyable as well .
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
Adventurer Extraordinaire
hatshepsut

Alter Ego! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alter Ego!   Alter Ego! EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 5:25 pm

Nice review I have Alter Ego in my to play pile now

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
tsampikos
tsampikos

Alter Ego! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alter Ego!   Alter Ego! EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 5:27 pm

@ hatshepsut

It is an easy, enjoyable adventure game. Not very challenging but with very interesting story. Smile
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
Adventurer Extraordinaire
hatshepsut

Alter Ego! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alter Ego!   Alter Ego! EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 6:32 pm

Thanks tsampikos a less challenging game and interesting story may be just the thing for the next gameplay. The opening video is one of the most beautiful I've seen.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
tsampikos
tsampikos

Alter Ego! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alter Ego!   Alter Ego! EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 6:43 pm

I am sure that you will have a lot of fun with this one!
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

Alter Ego! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alter Ego!   Alter Ego! EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 8:57 pm

I have the game but haven't played it yet, can't seem to get motivated. However, after reading your review, tsampikos, I am starting to get curious enough to give it a try soon. Like maybe tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

Alter Ego! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alter Ego!   Alter Ego! EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 11:17 pm

I started playing Alter Ego today and finding it a lot of fun so far. The beginning was unusual with the main character down in a sewer...in handcuffs! It took me awhile to get Tim out of there, but it wasn't boring, and I laughed quite a bit.
I didn't print out the manual, so thanks, tsampikos, for mentioning in your review how to find the hotspots using the F1 key. Great help!
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

Alter Ego! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alter Ego!   Alter Ego! EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 9:06 pm

Hi tsampikos,
I just now finished playing Alter Ego and was completely confused by the ending, so I came here to read your review again, and there was my answer to what happened. I thought I did something wrong, but your review called it a "curt" ending and it certainly was that!
It was, all in all, a very neat game and I'm glad I played it, thanks to your review. Otherwise, it would still be on my to play pile, probably forever.
Back to top Go down
tsampikos
tsampikos

Alter Ego! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alter Ego!   Alter Ego! EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 12:44 am

Hi Winfrey!

I enjoyed the game too! The atmosphaire and the plot were very well presented. The ending was totally curt and unsutisfying! I don't like endings like that. The ending of an adventure game MUST be like the last paragraph/ part of a well written essay.Presented with stability and detail.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Alter Ego! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alter Ego!   Alter Ego! Empty

Back to top Go down

Alter Ego!
Page 1 of 1