Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure games Point & Click and all things PC games

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Email help please

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
hatshepsut
Adventurer Extraordinaire
hatshepsut

Email help please Empty
PostSubject: Email help please   Email help please EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 10:06 pm

Faust I am trying to set up my Outlook Express email. The first thing right off it ask me if I want to make it my default email. If I say yes will it affect my other email account ?

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

Email help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Email help please   Email help please EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 12:01 am

As far as I know Hats (I use Windows Live mail sometimes ,similar to Outlook Express , but primarily use Mozilla Thunderbird) , you shouldn't have any problems if you make Outlook your default email client . You can add the email account in question to Outlook , provided the accounts settings are able to be configured in Outlook . Outlook supports both IMAP & POP protocols , so there shouldn't be any troubles . Out of curiosity , who is the email account's host (Gmail , Yahoo , etc) ?
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

Email help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Email help please   Email help please EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 12:38 am

Faust it is all so confusing to me. I clicked on no to use it for default email. I got it sort of. I put in the incoming and out going numbers like it said. Apparently the numbers are wrong because it will not send emails. I was looking at the Windows Live mail earlier. I think I might try it. I am currently using Yahoo. I'm not to happy with it at the moment.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

Email help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Email help please   Email help please EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 12:46 am

I have a yahoo account on my home page , but as I understand it , it is a pain to configure for any email client . I have a gmail account , & it's quite simple to configure in Thunderbird .

I have Windows Live Mail , & it's not too difficult to configure . I think the thing that keeps me from using it , is there is no balloon notification for email messages . The UI is quite nice ! Windows Live mail can be downloaded here : http://explore.live.com/windows-live-mail

Mozilla Thunderbird : http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

You may also try to use Windows Live , or Hotmail for an email address .
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

Email help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Email help please   Email help please EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 1:03 am

Thanks Faust I'll take a look at all of them. I usually get into trouble when it comes to the configuring. I just can't figure out what they mean or what they want. lol

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
tsampikos
Swashbuckling Globetrotter
tsampikos

Email help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Email help please   Email help please EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 1:01 am

What I have done is the following. I have 4-5 email adresses and I wanted to connect them to a singe service. The one I chose is windows live mail. It works well with all email services, except yahoo, which doesn't cooperate unless you are a premium member of a particular yahoo service (or something like that).The same should happen with Thunderbird too, since this is a yahoo related matter. Generally I am satisfied with what Windows live Mail has to offer. Works pretty well and it's reliable.
Back to top Go down
lakerz
Daredevil Pioneer
lakerz

Email help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Email help please   Email help please EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 2:42 am

As others have pointed out hatshepsut, MS Outlook is kind of a pain to use. Most people choose to use something else instead. I don't have experience with Windows live Mail, but it sounds good. Good luck to you whichever you choose!

I think when a program like Outlook asks you if you want it to be the default mail program, the result of clicking 'yes' is that everytime you click on a 'email to' link on a website or otherwise, outlook will load up and fill in the email to part of it.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

Email help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Email help please   Email help please EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 10:08 pm

Hi lakerz

I think you and the others are right about MS Outlook. After fiddeling with it for a while it is nothing but one big pain. I'm looking at Windows Live and Gmail right now. I think I'm leaning towards Gmail or Thunderbird. They both look like they are easy to install and use.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

Email help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Email help please   Email help please EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 11:20 pm

Just a reminder Hats , or in case you did not know . Gmail is an email service . Mozilla Thunderbird is an email client . Not to say that you could not use Gmail , you can . You can install Thunderbird on your computer , you only need your browser to use Gmail .
Back to top Go down
Draclvr
Speculative Fortune-Hunter
Draclvr

Email help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Email help please   Email help please EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 3:17 am

Faust, thank you for that about the email service and an email client. I was trying to explain it to someone recently and I wasn't sure how. Now I know!

I love Windows Live Mail, but I also have a Gmail account. I've linked my Gmail to WLM, so I can download Gmails to my computer in WLM. Works great.
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

Email help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Email help please   Email help please EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 4:51 am

Draclvr wrote:
Faust, thank you for that about the email service and an email client. I was trying to explain it to someone recently and I wasn't sure how. Now I know!

I love Windows Live Mail, but I also have a Gmail account. I've linked my Gmail to WLM, so I can download Gmails to my computer in WLM. Works great.

No problem at all Drac ! I had WLM on my computer , right up until 2 days ago , when I wiped my hard drive , and started all over again . Now , I just use Mozilla Thurnderbird . My biggest gripe about that , is that Thunderbird tends to flag everything as possible spam , and if you wish to add an email sender to a "safe list" , that sender has to go to your address book . Not sure why that is . What I liked about WLM , despite adding 2 processes to my computer , is it probably has the nicest gui I've seen , and it's super easy to add email senders to a safe list . I had some trouble getting emails to show in my "sent items" folder , but I had figured that one out .
Back to top Go down
Draclvr
Draclvr

Email help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Email help please   Email help please EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 5:59 am

I initially had WLM 2009 after I installed WIndows 7 on this build. Then Microsoft decided to improve WLM with WLM 2011. I really tried to like it, but it had lost all the simplicity and functionality of the 2009 version. For instance, I just want to attach my photos; I don't want to send them to the cloud. There were several other things I just couldn't warm up to, so I uninstalled and went back the nice old simple version.
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

Email help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Email help please   Email help please EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 11:17 am

If I remember correct , I had to install WLM 2009 , then "upgrade" to WLM 2011 in order to see my sent items . I liked the UI of 2011 more than 2009 . From what I've been reading , cloud computing will start to become more common before too long .
Back to top Go down
Draclvr
Draclvr

Email help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Email help please   Email help please EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 1:48 pm

I remember you saying something about not being able to see sent items in 2009. I've installed WLM 2009 on 7 new computers and never had that problem. Strange...

I use the cloud for a lot of things, but my problem with 20011 was that it forced me to use it, it didn't give me any options. I'm just sort of picky that way!
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

Email help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Email help please   Email help please EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 4:19 pm

That was actually in 2011 that I had that problem . I had to install 2009 to see my sent items , then install 2011 on top of it . How much memory does wlm use on your computer Drac ? The reason I ask , is that Thunderbird is using almost 80mb on my computer . Maybe wlm is lighter on ram ?
Back to top Go down
Draclvr
Draclvr

Email help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Email help please   Email help please EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 7:53 pm

Interesting... let me check.

EDIT: In task manager it says WLM.exe *32 - 41,096 KB. Just above that is WLcomm.exe *32 - 6,680

Last edited by Draclvr on Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

Email help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Email help please   Email help please EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 7:57 pm

At present , Thunderbird is using 80872kb . Hmm..... perhaps a switch is in order ?
Back to top Go down
Draclvr
Draclvr

Email help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Email help please   Email help please EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 8:00 pm

I edited my post to show the other file above it too. I tried opening up several emails and the usage stayed the same.
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

Email help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Email help please   Email help please EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 8:13 pm

Interesting . I may very well install WLM again & play with it . What I listed for Thunderbird is at idle . When I use it , the ram does increase some .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Email help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Email help please   Email help please Empty

Back to top Go down

Email help please
Page 1 of 1