Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure games Point & Click and all things PC games

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What's your dream vacation spot?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mystery Lover
Daredevil Pioneer
Mystery Lover

What's your dream vacation spot? Empty
PostSubject: What's your dream vacation spot?   What's your dream vacation spot? EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 11:49 pm

I guess I'm day dreaming about warmer weather, as I listen to the wind blowing around the snow here in 9 degree F temperature!
Man, one of these days, I need to get to Hawaii!!!
Where would you all like to be? sunny
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
Adventurer Extraordinaire
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: What's your dream vacation spot?   What's your dream vacation spot? EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 11:53 pm

Oh boy it was cold here too.

I would love to be in Egypt Smile

hatshepsut

Last edited by hatshepsut on Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mystery Lover
Daredevil Pioneer
Mystery Lover

PostSubject: Re: What's your dream vacation spot?   What's your dream vacation spot? EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 12:17 am

Really? It would be awesome to see all those pyramids and mummies. A bit to hot there though, and scary travel these days.
I loved Egypt on the National Geographic channel when they show you the ruins, then a computer simulation of it looked like back then.
Very cool!
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: What's your dream vacation spot?   What's your dream vacation spot? EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 1:04 am

Oh yes I would so love to travel to Egypt and see the funeral Temple of Hatshepsut and her Obelisk and her mummy of course. I watched a program a while back with Dr. Hawass about Hatshepsut. Absolutly fascinating.

hatshepsut farao
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

PostSubject: Re: What's your dream vacation spot?   What's your dream vacation spot? EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 1:08 am

France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France France ......................... every time ................ rural southern France for me!

Oh yes ............................. and France. flower
Back to top Go down
http://adventurepoint.co.uk
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: What's your dream vacation spot?   What's your dream vacation spot? EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 1:14 am

hmmmm scratch I think Gelert wants to go to France ........rural southern France.

The pictures I've seen of southern France look beautiful. It must be nice there.

hatshepsut farao
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

PostSubject: Re: What's your dream vacation spot?   What's your dream vacation spot? EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 1:19 am

Yes. Been lots of times. The quiet bits. Rustic villages. Markets. Nature. Sunshime. No tourism. Just nice.

I'd like to live there one day. Perhaps when I retire. Dreams! Aaaaaaaaaah! Cool ❤
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: What's your dream vacation spot?   What's your dream vacation spot? EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 1:29 am

The pictures of the villiages and markets that I've seen is like looking into the past. France is another one of the places that really fascinates me.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Mystery Lover
Daredevil Pioneer
Mystery Lover

PostSubject: Re: What's your dream vacation spot?   What's your dream vacation spot? EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 1:40 pm

Can either of you speak french? I personally would want to be able to speak the language if I were to visit anywhere like that. Otherwise i would feel lost and uncomfortable. I love accents!! Very sexy!! ( Did I say that out loud just now? )
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

PostSubject: Re: What's your dream vacation spot?   What's your dream vacation spot? EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 1:57 pm

Hi Mystery Lover!

I've been self-learning (CDs, etc.), for the past few years, so I can hold a conversation fairly well. There's a fantastic beginners' (and more advanced), course available that few people here seem to know about. The trouble is there are so many CD-ROM courses and DVD's, etc., and many of them are poor., or just for tourists. "Where's the beach?" . . "Do you speak English?" .............. ugh! affraid

The one I used (and still do), is 'French with Michel Thomas'. There's actually no memorising at all. It's his own technique, whereby you just listen (in a quiet room, or whilst driving - carefully!), and absorb. It's amazing how well it works. It''s all about confidence building from the basics upwards, building on words to sentences to conversations. I also read French newspapers and the odd simply written book these days.

By going to France fairly regularly I get to gauge how well I'm doing from year to year, just taking it easy. I agree completely that to live in France, or any other country which is predominantly non-English speaking, you need to learn the language. Not least because it's disrespectful to expect non-English speakers to speak English when in their homeland. Also, to get a job in France, it's almost impossible without French fluency. I'm finding that! study Also, the French are very proud and protective of their language, their country and their way of life. That's why so little ever changes there, other than in the biggest cities.

If you ever fancy learning French, or another language, I'd recommend the Michel Thomas CD-ROMs.

I'm not on commission! lol!
Back to top Go down
Mystery Lover
Daredevil Pioneer
Mystery Lover

PostSubject: Re: What's your dream vacation spot?   What's your dream vacation spot? EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 2:31 pm

Thank you Gelert! I would love learn Italian. My son is learning spanish in school ( mandatory) and teaches me!!
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

PostSubject: Re: What's your dream vacation spot?   What's your dream vacation spot? EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 2:41 pm

I know there's a Michel Thomas 'Italian', 'German', 'French', 'Spanish' ........... probably others. study
Back to top Go down
HandsFree
Swashbuckling Globetrotter
HandsFree

PostSubject: Re: What's your dream vacation spot?   What's your dream vacation spot? EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 2:57 pm

Mystery Lover wrote:
Can either of you speak french? I personally would want to be able to speak the language if I were to visit anywhere like that. Otherwise i would feel lost and uncomfortable.
But I like the initial feel of being lost somewhat (shouldn't take too long though).
Actually I most enjoy visiting places that are literally 'foreign' to me.
Once I wanted to buy a trainticket, and I just showed the appropriate line in my travellers dictionary. The girl behind the counter then picked up her 'English for receptionists' and pointed at 'tomorrow'.
lol!
This summer it will be France too again. And I don't even speak that.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: What's your dream vacation spot?   What's your dream vacation spot? EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 4:36 pm

No no Mystery Lover I'm sad to say that for the most part all the French I learned in school is now lost to me. French is a beautiful language.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's your dream vacation spot?   What's your dream vacation spot? Empty

Back to top Go down

What's your dream vacation spot?
Page 1 of 1