Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure games Point & Click and all things PC games

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ubisoft's New Plan

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
hatshepsut
Adventurer Extraordinaire
hatshepsut

Ubisoft's New Plan Empty
PostSubject: Ubisoft's New Plan   Ubisoft's New Plan EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 11:57 pm

Ubisoft in their battle against piracy has come up with a new plan. The plan is Ubisoft's Online Services Platform that includes PC DRM. Now what exactly does that mean for the PC gamer? It means that if you buy a Ubisoft game you will have to have a Ubi.com account. It also means that you will have to have an online connection to play the game. It also means that all your saves will be online. It also means that you won't be able to sell your game. In one sense of the word you could say that the game you bought isn't your game. What if after some time Ubisoft decides to take off their new plan. Well you could get a patch from Ubisoft to make your game play. Ubisoft has published such games as Paradise and all the Myst games. It was unclear whether these adventure games and others would be affected. Ubisoft also publishes all the CSI, all the Prince of Persia and Assassins Creed games. Ubisoft says their new plan only affects the PC games and that the console games are not included. I really have to wonder at that statement considering that XBox 360 and Playstation 3 are computers in their own right and can be hooked up to internet. There is a question and answer that you can read from Ubisoft and an interview that PC Gamer conducted with Ubisoft. All in all I think I have to agree with PC Gamer that this will go down in history as one of the dumbest moves made by a publisher.

Ubisoft question and answer found here
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5181026566/m/3831008728

PC Gamer interview found here
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=235596&site=pcg

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

Ubisoft's New Plan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ubisoft's New Plan   Ubisoft's New Plan EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 12:11 am

Thanks hatshepsut. Well, as a PC game player and keen collector too, this will certainly put me off. It does sound like a daft move.

BTW, congrats on starting the 100th Adventure Game Discussions thread. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://adventurepoint.co.uk
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

Ubisoft's New Plan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ubisoft's New Plan   Ubisoft's New Plan EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 12:26 am

You are welcome Gelert. It puts me off more than a little too. It really makes you wonder just what Ubisoft is thinking.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Magoozelle
Wanderer's Apprentice
Magoozelle

Ubisoft's New Plan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ubisoft's New Plan   Ubisoft's New Plan EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 5:18 am

I was looking forward to The Settlers 7 as well as Dawn of Discovery (and its expansions). Well, I'm not going to purchase them now, that's for sure. The sad thing is if the games have abysmal sales the development teams will be blamed, not the publisher's idiotic DRM scheme.
Back to top Go down
jkeerie
Daredevil Pioneer
jkeerie

Ubisoft's New Plan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ubisoft's New Plan   Ubisoft's New Plan EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 3:22 pm

They're making the assumption that people are connected to the internet at all times. That's not always true. One of the reasons I buy pc games is so I can play them on my laptop anywhere...even when there's no internet connection available. Dumb idea. :x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ubisoft's New Plan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ubisoft's New Plan   Ubisoft's New Plan Empty

Back to top Go down

Ubisoft's New Plan
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Adventure Point Forum :: GAME FORUMS :: Adventure Game Discussions-
Jump to: