Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure games Point & Click and all things PC games

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Computer

Go down 
+8
Draclvr
lakerz
jkeerie
AngDMC
hatshepsut
Gelert
winfrey
AlienBZ
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

New Computer - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Computer   New Computer - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 8:17 pm

hatshepsut wrote:
Draclver, all other AP members and guest you are all welcome here and your comments are welcome here also. Your comments help me enormously. And I don't want any of you to feel that your comments aren't welcome. I know that some of you are frustrated by this thread and threads like this on other forums. Everyone who has commented on this thread has helped me to understand this better. I believe it is in our nature to want to help each other and it's frustrating when it seems that we aren't able to help. Even though it seems that your help isn't being taken I believe your help is helping. In all fairness to ABZ I did tell her if she wanted to talk about her computer I would talk with her.

I reiterate that everyone here is welcome and a valuable member of our family. Like every family every one has a right to their comments and contributions and they are welcome. From time to time there will be grievances that need to be addressed hopefully in a satisfactory manner. I do not want this forum to become artificial like some whether it be sticky sweet or down right mean like some are. I hope that everyone feels they can speak their mind without repercussions. I will not delete anyones post unless it puts someones privacy at risk. If it is a personal matter I will talk with about it through PMs. I believe AP is one of the friendliest forums around where we really feel comfortable that we are accepted as friends and family.

hatshepsut

Well said , Hats !
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
Adventurer Extraordinaire
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: New Computer   New Computer - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 8:25 pm

I agree with you there Faust. I don't see it happening here like some other places. All of our members here here are great people. I too have quite some other forums for those reasons but still continue to follow them.

And if anyone does have a personal grievance or dirty laundry not for public they are welcome to PM the Mods to work it out.

You are still taking PMs aren't you Faust? Very Happy

And no GreyFuss that doesn't mean you can send your dirty clothes to me to wash Smile

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: New Computer   New Computer - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 8:30 pm

Taking pm's ? Of course Hats , always ! Was not aware I wasn't . Did you try to send me one , & get blocked or something ?

Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: New Computer   New Computer - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 8:36 pm

No Faust I was just kidding you. Very Happy

hats
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: New Computer   New Computer - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 8:37 pm

April Fools huh ? lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: New Computer   New Computer - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 8:43 pm

Yep April Fools lol!

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: New Computer   New Computer - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 8:45 pm

No Worries !
Back to top Go down
Draclvr
Speculative Fortune-Hunter
Draclvr

PostSubject: Re: New Computer   New Computer - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 8:51 pm

You guys are just too funny!

And just for the record, the reason I got jump-kicked to start coming here more often is when I took Faust and his sweet little daughter on a personal tour of Longmeadow Rescue Ranch a couple of weeks ago. It reminded me that I hadn't been here in a long time - probably since I teased Faust about needing help with my computer flying out the window! And also for the record, there was no dirty laundry being done here - and I let the very snarky LOL pass on by. ABZ apologized to me for blaming me for what she had done and I accepted the apology. That's long over and done with - she and I aired our "dirty laundry" by PM. I have no intention of embarrassing anyone or causing any problems - when I saw the post dealing with the same exact issue on several forums, I thought filling in the gaps might help Hats when she has to answer questions - such as the presence of the ASUS EEE XP netbook. Nothing else; although I do admit to my frustration bleeding into it. Plus, I wanted to back up Hats on reiterating what a great laptop and a great deal ABZ got with that Acer. I know it wasn't exactly what she expected, but it was still an awesome buy and she will be playing games on it for many years to come.

And, no I won't do GreyFuss' laundry either! I already did 2 loads of hubby's bib overalls today!

Last edited by Draclvr on Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: New Computer   New Computer - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 8:55 pm

Cool Faust Laughing I'm going to be silly the rest of the day Laughing

hatshepsut

Last edited by hatshepsut on Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Draclvr
Draclvr

PostSubject: Re: New Computer   New Computer - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 8:58 pm

Think I'll join you, Hats!!
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: New Computer   New Computer - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 8:58 pm

Draclvr wrote:
You guys are just too funny!

And just for the record, the reason I got jump-kicked to start coming here more often is when I took Faust and his sweet little daughter on a personal tour of Longmeadow Rescue Ranch a couple of weeks ago. It reminded me that I hadn't been here in a long time - probably since I teased Faust about needing help with my computer flying out the window! And also for the record, there was no dirty laundry being done here - I let the snarky LOL pass on by. ABZ apologized to me for blaming me for what she had done and I accepted the apology. That's long over and done with - she and I aired our "dirty laundry" by PM. I have no intention of embarrassing anyone or causing any problems - when I saw the post dealing with the same exact issue on several forums, I thought filling in the gaps might help Hats when she has to answer questions - such as the presence of the ASUS EEE XP netbook. Nothing else. Plus, I wanted to back up Hats on reiterating what a great laptop and a great deal ABZ got with that Acer. I know it wasn't exactly what she expected, but it was still an awesome buy and she will be playing games on it for many years to come.

And, no I won't do GreyFuss' laundry either! I already did 2 loads of hubby's bib overalls today!

She still talks about it Drac ! Matter of fact , she asked the other day if Willy was getting adopted . I told her I didn't know . I remember that teasing , somewhat . Be as silly as you want Hats ! It's Friday , an excuse to be silly ! Btw Drac , I thought Greyfuss had a Mrs Greyfuss . Tell her to do his laundry !! Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Draclvr
Draclvr

PostSubject: Re: New Computer   New Computer - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 9:12 pm

I don't think it will more than a month or two before those new foals will be born down there. I'll be letting you know, so we can go back out again! And someone did come out to look at Willie this week - I don't know if he got adopted though. They called me yesterday to go down to do a walking tour for about 25 people tomorrow morning, so I'll find out then.

Hey, you never know - maybe GreyFuss does his own laundry!
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: New Computer   New Computer - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 9:21 pm

Draclver: Thanks. I really appreciate your help and backup. I never thought for a second that you were trying to embarrass anyone. For whatever reason you reason started coming by I'm glad you did, I enjoy your company and have learned a lot from you.

I think it's good for everyone to be silly sometimes so welcome to silly day.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
AlienBZ
Daredevil Pioneer
AlienBZ

PostSubject: Re: New Computer   New Computer - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 11:40 pm

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I'm sorry if I couldn't take it. I'm keeping the Acer after all (is said & done). There are certain games that I have that will not run in the Acer, nor the old Dell, nor the netbook that I've played on my MBP during the short time that I had XP on it, and since I cannot have XP on my MBP (my MBP has a NVidia graphics card and a 2.5+ GHz CPU) this is why I need to look for an XP laptop with these specs (or a bit lower specs since that XP laptop will be a couple of years older than my MBP), and btw, don't some of you people have several computers that you use for gaming, even though each computer is different?

In sum, each of my gaming PC's are different:

--old Dell - XP, P4, 1.6 GHz, 80 GB HDD, 512 MB RAM,256 MB NVidia tethered to 1 spot as its a desktop tower - don't use it much except for Thief series;

--Asus netbook - XP, Atom 1.6 GHz CPU, 2 GB RAM, Graphics Media Accelerator video card - will only play 2D games;

--Acer laptop - Win 7, Core 2 Duo CPU, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, NVidia Optimus - will play the latest (& upcoming) games;

--XP laptop-to-get - P4 ~2.6 GHz CPU, ~256 MB NVidia GeForce, ~200 GB HDD, ~1 - 2 GB RAM - will play 3D games that are sandwiched between the netbook/Dell and the Acer.

--
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: New Computer   New Computer - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 1:03 am

ABZ yes I have 3 computers and a laptop but they aren't all the same computer. They all have a different OS. I think that is the same for everyone else here that has more than one computer Smile

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
AlienBZ
Daredevil Pioneer
AlienBZ

PostSubject: Re: New Computer   New Computer - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 5:53 pm

AlienBZ wrote:

--XP laptop-to-get - P4 ~2.6 GHz CPU, ~256 MB NVidia GeForce, ~200 GB HDD, ~1 - 2 GB RAM

Pointers, The Great IyIMeeMe gave me another laptop - its the "XP laptop-to-get" that I quoted above. It arr. yesterday. It's a Dell Inspiron XPS, specs are nearly identical to these in my quote.

New Computer - Page 3 DSC_0464

XP laptop-to-be;

New Computer - Page 3 DSC_0463

Look at that neat, beautiful screen! That's what got me hooked on laptops during the Easter season 2005, this is what I kept seeing in the local Office Depot by the mall, this is exactly the kind of laptop I wanted 5 years ago!

Even my old laptop (a 17-inch HP Compaq Presario X6000) didn't look as nice as this one. Why, the XPS's screen outshines all of my other computers' (except maybe the Mac) screens, even the Acer's screen!

Last edited by AlienBZ on Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: New Computer   New Computer - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 6:14 pm

Very nice ABZ. I am sure it will meet all your needs. Could I ask where you found it ? And is it new or used ?

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
AlienBZ
Daredevil Pioneer
AlienBZ

PostSubject: Re: New Computer   New Computer - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 6:52 pm

hatshepsut wrote:
Very nice ABZ. I am sure it will meet all your needs. Could I ask where you found it ?

Thank you, Hat - I'm positive it'll meet all of my needs that the Acer, the Eee PC netbook, and the Dell Dimension 8200 doesn't meet, such as playing 3D games that the Acer/Eee PC netbook/Dell Dimension cannot play, as well as meeting my need to game out and about, instead of gaming and being tied to one spot cooped upstairs in my office on these nice, glorious spring/summer days that we're starting to get in our area.

I found the laptop on ebay last week after days and days of scouring ebay, amazon, and a bit of google. It was a "buy it now" auction, no bidding, the price was within my $500 budget.

hatshepsut wrote:
And is it new or used ?

It's used, but the seller listed it as "almost new", in good condition. Only the Acer is new.

It came with Vista Home Premium, but I'm going to wipe the hard drive and put XP on it (hence my "XP laptop-to-be")
Back to top Go down
AlienBZ
Daredevil Pioneer
AlienBZ

PostSubject: Re: New Computer   New Computer - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 12:44 am

Pointers, it turns out that I'm not going to wipe the XPS's original hard drive of Vista and put XP on it. Since this HDD is only 186 GB, I'm leaving Vista on it, but I ordered a new 320 GB laptop HDD from Newegg yesterday, I'm going to remove the original HDD from the XPS, replace it with the HDD from Newegg and install XP on that - wish me luck, please.
Back to top Go down
AlienBZ
Daredevil Pioneer
AlienBZ

PostSubject: Re: New Computer   New Computer - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 3:29 am

Jen wrote:
I will recommend something What a Face If you're serious about becoming a computer tech, you need to go to school for it like everyone else who goes into that line of work.

Am in currently in school to be a computer tech.
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: New Computer   New Computer - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 3:41 am

AlienBZ wrote:
Jen wrote:
I will recommend something What a Face If you're serious about becoming a computer tech, you need to go to school for it like everyone else who goes into that line of work.

Where are you going to school , & what classes are you taking ? You were asked this in another forum .
Back to top Go down
AlienBZ
Daredevil Pioneer
AlienBZ

PostSubject: Re: New Computer   New Computer - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 4:18 pm

Faust wrote:

Where are you going to school , & what classes are you taking ? You were asked this in another forum .

The courses I'm taking are: Intro to Information Technology -
School Catalogue Description:

"Course explores technical issues involved with computers and information technology. Topics include computer hardware and components, operating systems, file storage, networking fundamentals, digital media, database systems, and the Internet structure and organization. Students research various information technology issues using the Internet and in-class or simulated lab exercises in a personal computer environment."

and the other course is: PC Components and Operating Systems -

"Course provides students with the knowledge and skills involved with managing and maintaining a personal computer environment. Topics include: system architecture, boot process, command line interface, motherboards, memory, installing & optimizing storage devices, input/output devices, managing & supporting a Windows operating system environment, networked computers, printers and troubleshooting & maintenance fundamentals."

Both of these courses are internet courses.

I'm going to Community College of Allegheny County.
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: New Computer   New Computer - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 5:06 pm

AlienBZ wrote:
Faust wrote:

The courses I'm taking are: Intro to Information Technology -

"Course explores technical issues involved with computers and information technology. Topics include computer hardware and components, operating systems, file storage, networking fundamentals, digital media, database systems, and the Internet structure and organization. Students research various information technology issues using the Internet and in-class or simulated lab exercises in a personal computer environment."

and the other course is: PC Components and Operating Systems -

"Course provides students with the knowledge and skills involved with managing and maintaining a personal computer environment. Topics include: system architecture, boot process, command line interface, motherboards, memory, installing & optimizing storage devices, input/output devices, managing & supporting a Windows operating system environment, networked computers, printers and troubleshooting & maintenance fundamentals."

Both of these courses are internet courses.

I'm going to Community College of Allegheny County.

Thanks for the answer . Not to diminish anything , but based on the descriptions you gave , it appears like Basic Computing 101 , instead of any nationally recognized classes for certifications , such as those from CompTIA or Microsoft . Then again , becoming Microsoft certified requires CompTIA certification as a pre requisite . Not that there's anything wrong with the classes you're taking ! Everybody has to start somewhere ! My local community college has courses similar to those you're currently taking , but I didn't go there , because : (A) they didn't have what I wanted , & (B) the classes they did have I already know what they're teaching (computer basics) . Instead , I chose a specialized tech school 45 minutes from my house .
Back to top Go down
GreyFuss
GreyFuss

PostSubject: Re: New Computer   New Computer - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 5:09 pm

AlienBZ wrote:
Jen wrote:

Good for you ABZ
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: New Computer   New Computer - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 5:10 pm

GreyFuss wrote:
AlienBZ wrote:
Jen wrote:

Good for you ABZ

Agreed GF !!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Computer   New Computer - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

New Computer
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Adventure Point Forum :: GAME FORUMS :: The Adventure Point Technical Hitches and Tips Centre-
Jump to: