Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure games Point & Click and all things PC games

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chaos on Deponia - English DVD

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mullane
Speculative Fortune-Hunter
Mullane

Chaos on Deponia - English DVD Empty
PostSubject: Chaos on Deponia - English DVD   Chaos on Deponia - English DVD EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 10:33 pm

Chaos on Deponia has finally come out on DVD in english by way of Merge Games, Daedalics replacement for Lace Mamba/whatever Mamba.
The game has a mandatory Steam install, and I assume all further releases from these guys will also (Dark Eye Chains of Satinav is also being released by them).

It took me 5 hours and an additional 700mb of downloads just to get the thing working. I am quite annoyed as the amazon listing doesn't state that it has Steam activation. If anyone else doesn't like Steam, I suggest avoiding releases by Merge Games.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
Adventurer Extraordinaire
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Chaos on Deponia - English DVD   Chaos on Deponia - English DVD EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 1:43 am

Mullane I'm sorry to hear you had trouble downloading your game from Steam. I like Steam and so far I haven't had any trouble downloading from them. I just downloaded Chaos on Deponia over the weekend but I got it from GOG instead of Steam. I had a bit of trouble downloading until I realized I didn't have the right install button pushed and that I had to download all the files.The download took just about an hour for me.

Enjoy your game Smile

hatshepsut

Back to top Go down
Mullane
Mullane

PostSubject: Re: Chaos on Deponia - English DVD   Chaos on Deponia - English DVD EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 1:58 am

My problems with downloading are primarily due to me having poor internet. The real problem is that I had to downlaod anything at all. The CD version was only just recently released, and the version on it is already that far out of date.

I'm more annoyed that I'm going to have to find a crack for it, or a DRM free version.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
Adventurer Extraordinaire
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Chaos on Deponia - English DVD   Chaos on Deponia - English DVD EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 9:57 pm

Yes that can be very annoying

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
lakerz
Daredevil Pioneer
lakerz

PostSubject: Re: Chaos on Deponia - English DVD   Chaos on Deponia - English DVD EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 9:25 am

Mullane, were you just having to download the Steam client then to get your DVD version of the game authenticated? Any copy protections sucks for the honest buyers out there (like all of us), but at least for me, Steam is not too bad to utilize. Still, in your case with a poor internet connection, that indeed sucks.
Back to top Go down
Mullane
Mullane

PostSubject: Re: Chaos on Deponia - English DVD   Chaos on Deponia - English DVD EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 9:28 am

Yes, I had to download Steam to activate it. It also did some updating after I activated it. I have since read that this could have been avoided by taking it offline and just playing the unupdated version?

Anyhow, my problem has been rectified by one Maayan from Daedalic.
Back to top Go down
tsampikos
Swashbuckling Globetrotter
tsampikos

PostSubject: Re: Chaos on Deponia - English DVD   Chaos on Deponia - English DVD EmptyTue Apr 02, 2013 5:24 pm

I have bought this game too. Indeed there is a description problem here. Not even on the box is stated that Steam is Required. The Steam Key is described as "free gifting Steam Key". So anybody could think that the DVD version is DRM free. The system requirements on the box or the merge games website are totally misleading.

On the contrary the Retail version of Dark Eye Chains of Satinav contains both DRM free version AND Steam Key gift. I can verify this because I have bought it and it is clearly stated on the box and the system requirements.

It seems that Merge games has messed up with it's releases.

For anybody who wants a DRM free version of Chaos on Deponia, he or she can buy it from gog.com or gamesrocket (digital version-drm free).
I had bought it from gamesrocket but I bought the merge games version afterwards too, like every collector who respects himself would do.
Back to top Go down
Mullane
Mullane

PostSubject: Re: Chaos on Deponia - English DVD   Chaos on Deponia - English DVD EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 3:57 am

They seem to be going out of their way to avoid letting people know that it is bound by Steam DRM. It is apparent when looking at the back of the dvd case, but not everyone has that luxury.

The Dark Eye box is much better at explaining the fact that it is DRM free or not, gladly it is. But Chaos on Deponia is vague and misleading to a point of annoyance. I have grilled them about it and I was glad to see you backing up the fight with me on Facebook tsampikos.

I told them particularly that to call a game with Steam DRM attached a "Collectors Edition" was basically the opposite of what any collector wants, they seemed to take this on board as a relevant comment so hopefully this makes some sort of change in their dealings.
Back to top Go down
tsampikos
Swashbuckling Globetrotter
tsampikos

PostSubject: Re: Chaos on Deponia - English DVD   Chaos on Deponia - English DVD EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 7:09 am

Ah, is that you there fighting with them? Smile I will make you a friendship request! Laughing I felt really betrayed by this story. Now I am searching for a potential buyer of this game. This is clearly not a collector's edition. On the contrary, the gog.com version is much more collector's edition than this one, offering a drm free game and a bunch of goodies. So I couldn't let like this. I had to write my impressions like you did.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chaos on Deponia - English DVD   Chaos on Deponia - English DVD Empty

Back to top Go down

Chaos on Deponia - English DVD
Page 1 of 1