Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure games Point & Click and all things PC games

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

C.I.T.Y. 2000 - London

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
HandsFree
Swashbuckling Globetrotter
HandsFree

C.I.T.Y. 2000 - London Empty
PostSubject: C.I.T.Y. 2000 - London   C.I.T.Y. 2000 - London EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 1:00 am

In 1993 I had not yet been exposed to adventure games, but I assume buyers of C.I.T.Y. 2000 might not have played lots of AG's before at that time. It made sense that you studied the manual first and then took an hour or so to get familiar with the interface.

Playing the game now, it pays to find that mindset again, or for the first time. I glanced at the manual and saw the familiar hand, wrench and speech bubble icons (take, operate, talk) and thought I was OK.
You play American secret agent Jon Daring ('Be Daring in London') who is called on to help the, apparently incapable, British Secret Service stop criminal Stanislav Rooter from carrying out his world domination scheme.

The game starts with your arrival on Heathrow airport. You can walk around a bit and that's it. That is unless you take the time to really read the manual. I had tried all the icons on everything visible and nothing happened. It turned out you can activate an 'object list' that shows everything of interest in that location. You use the different icons on the words in that list and never on the screen itself! This conveniently eliminates any pixelhunting, so once I got the hang of this I was on my way to the Hilton to check in.

From there I was sent from one meeting to the next, and a good part of the gameplay consists of navigating London to find the next destination. A big part of London is immediately available for exploration and presented in 1600 photographs. This is effectively a huge maze, but fortunately you'll find a map early on and you can choose to display it fullscreen. That way you don't see the photo's, but navigating Londen becomes much easier. The photo's are not exactly eyecandy anyway with washed out colours, so I used this method most of the time.
When you find your destination, that usually triggers a blocky FMV cutscene in wich you receive new instructions. There are no subtitles so you should make sure you understand what has been said (some actors speak very, ehh, British. At one point I was looking for a 'pub' when it should have been a 'park'). You can replay a cutscene as often as you like until you do something else. After that you can't go back.

Apart from finding your way there are various AG tasks to perform such as decoding a message, negotiating dialogue trees to find the one positive outcome, creating diversions and even solving a crossword puzzle.
Some actions are timed, like when a guard you got rid of may return quickly, and failing often results in game over. But it is always clear when the situation gets dangerous, so you can save your game in time. In one of the only four save slots! They did that in 1993 and some developers are still doing it: making a game in wich you can die and then only allowing for a few save slots. C.I.T.Y. 2000 - London 907888
There are no action or arcade elements in the game.

C.I.T.Y. 2000 played fine in dosbox, but there's one catch. The game is on cd-rom but comes with an 3.5" update diskette. Without it the cutscenes didn't play correctly, at least on my system. So you will probably need a 3.5" drive, or a method to copy the files to another medium.

After a frustrating start, first the update diskette and then being stuck on blurry Heathrow, I warmed up to the game and after finetuning my expectations and finding the right retro mindset, I had a mostly enjoyable 8 hours in London. That time can be a lot shorter though, if you read the manual first, are better at finding your way than I am or if you use a walkthrough more often.

Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
Adventurer Extraordinaire
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: C.I.T.Y. 2000 - London   C.I.T.Y. 2000 - London EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 2:07 am

Nice review HandsFree and very informative.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Lady Kestrel
Daredevil Pioneer
Lady Kestrel

PostSubject: Re: C.I.T.Y. 2000 - London   C.I.T.Y. 2000 - London EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 3:01 am

Thanks for taking the time to write this, HandsFree. As you said, there isn't much info about the game, so I enjoyed reading more about it.
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Adventurer Extraordinaire
Gelert

PostSubject: Re: C.I.T.Y. 2000 - London   C.I.T.Y. 2000 - London EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 3:12 am

Thanks HandsFree. A very interesting read. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://adventurepoint.co.uk
AlienBZ
Daredevil Pioneer
AlienBZ

PostSubject: Re: C.I.T.Y. 2000 - London   C.I.T.Y. 2000 - London EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 7:56 am

HandsFree wrote:

C.I.T.Y. 2000 played fine in dosbox, but there's one catch. The game is on cd-rom but comes with an 3.5" update diskette. Without it the cutscenes didn't play correctly, at least on my system. So you will probably need a 3.5" drive, or a method to copy the files to another medium.

For these of you who have a 3.5 inch floppy drive in your desktop PC but no such drive in your laptop/netbook and wish to take the laptop/netook (and the game) out and about with you to play, you can d/l WinImage and make a floppy disk image that will work in Dosbox - if you need help with this, I'll be glad to offer you this help.

(link to d/l WinImage): http://www.winimage.com/download.htm

Lady Kestrel wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to write this, HandsFree. As you said, there isn't much info about the game, so I enjoyed reading more about it.

Lady K, if you'd like, here's a w/t from GB that may fill you in on more of the game if you want to know more about this game.

(link to CITY London w/t)

http://www.gameboomers.com/wtcheats/pcCc/City2000.htm

I have this game (its been sitting in my office for a year now) and I've been curious as to what OS it runs on and about why I'd need the floppy diskette that came with it - thank you so much, HandsFree, for filling me in on these areas.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: C.I.T.Y. 2000 - London   C.I.T.Y. 2000 - London Empty

Back to top Go down

C.I.T.Y. 2000 - London
Page 1 of 1