Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure games Point & Click and all things PC games

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

older pc games and Vista

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
rainbowgirl15
Opportunist Explorer
rainbowgirl15

older pc games and Vista Empty
PostSubject: older pc games and Vista   older pc games and Vista EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 1:12 pm

I have a question and hope some of you computer techies can answer it for me.
Someone recently bought an older pc game from me. It's a dos/windows 95 game. I'd tested it out on my windows 98 and it worked fine.
Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Rose Tattoo. The person who bought it from me does have a Windows 98 but it wouldn't play for them. Maybe because they don't have Vessa ( i think it's called)on their windows 98?
They want to know if they can get it to play on Vista. Has anyone played it on Vista and if so how do you get it play. I know there is something called Virtual PC that can play older windows 98SE games.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: older pc games and Vista   older pc games and Vista EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 2:15 pm

I am using Vista Ultimate , 64 bit . In my case , the only game I can't play , is Mystery of The Nautilus . That was a pain , even in XP ! Setting "Rose Tattoo" to Windows 98/ME in compatibility mode may help . Virtual PC may help as well . I have a few DOS/Win 95 games that I'm able to play with no tweaking , most notably Black Dahlia . Is your friend's Vista 32 or 64 bit ? The reason I ask , is I used to use 32 bit Vista , & 32 bit was more problematic with games than 64 bit is .
Back to top Go down
rainbowgirl15
Opportunist Explorer
rainbowgirl15

PostSubject: Re: older pc games and Vista   older pc games and Vista EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 3:40 pm

Thank you. I have some more questions to ask before I send an email to the person. I will send you a PM on GTZ
Thanks again Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: older pc games and Vista   older pc games and Vista EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 12:51 am

rainbowgirl15 wrote:
Thank you. I have some more questions to ask before I send an email to the person. I will send you a PM on GTZ
Thanks again Very Happy

Not a problem !
Back to top Go down
tsampikos
Swashbuckling Globetrotter
tsampikos

PostSubject: Re: older pc games and Vista   older pc games and Vista EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 9:07 am

Like Faust said, Virtual PC may help. And heree I would like to add some comments.

1) Windows Vista is a most terrible and unstable OS. Not recommended not only for old but also for new games. XP or 7 are far better than Vista.

2) Virtual PC 2007 is obsolete. There are better ways to setup a virtual Machine, like Virtualbox or VMWare Player, which are freeware too. I have set up a windows 9x. Virtual system in Virtualbox and the result is excellent. Games run as goood as in a native-real Windows 9x system.
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: older pc games and Vista   older pc games and Vista EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 11:18 am

tsampikos wrote:
Like Faust said, Virtual PC may help. And heree I would like to add some comments.

1) Windows Vista is a most terrible and unstable OS. Not recommended not only for old but also for new games. XP or 7 are far better than Vista.

2) Virtual PC 2007 is obsolete. There are better ways to setup a virtual Machine, like Virtualbox or VMWare Player, which are freeware too. I have set up a windows 9x. Virtual system in Virtualbox and the result is excellent. Games run as goood as in a native-real Windows 9x system.

Have you ever used Vista ? if not , then how can you say it's "most terrible & unstable" ? At the core , Vista & Win 7 are the same . Windows 7 is what Vista should've been in the first place . I've never had any stability issues of any kind in my Vista machine . As for gaming , no real problems there either !

I will freely admit , that I know little of Virtualbox or VMWare , as I've never had the occasion to use them . Virtual PC , I've had some experience with .
Back to top Go down
tsampikos
tsampikos

PostSubject: Re: older pc games and Vista   older pc games and Vista EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 12:15 pm

I have experience with Vista. It's no wonder that the XP users didn't believe in it and skipped to WIndows 7 when it came out. I have used several computers with Vista on and they are not comparable to XP and Windows 7. Windows 7 is successful because it is a combination of the XP stability and the new Vista features.

Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: older pc games and Vista   older pc games and Vista EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 12:57 pm

tsampikos wrote:
I have experience with Vista. It's no wonder that the XP users didn't believe in it and skipped to WIndows 7 when it came out. I have used several computers with Vista on and they are not comparable to XP and Windows 7. Windows 7 is successful because it is a combination of the XP stability and the new Vista features.

Windows 7 is successful , because Microsoft listened to their customers this time . I remember Vista's debut , & subsequent trashing , even today . It's been my experience , that Vista has been stable for me . After I applied both service packs , it was all gravy ! I well remember when XP came out , people were crying in their beer the same way when Vista came out . I used XP for a number of years , & had great success with it , but it was time to move on . I will most likely migrate to Win 7 in the near future , but for now , I see no real need to .
Back to top Go down
gruefeeder
Opportunist Explorer
gruefeeder

PostSubject: Re: older pc games and Vista   older pc games and Vista EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 7:46 pm

rainbowgirl15 wrote:
I'd tested it out on my windows 98 and it worked fine.
Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Rose Tattoo. The person who bought it from me does have a Windows 98 but it wouldn't play for them. Maybe because they don't have Vessa ( i think it's called)on their windows 98?
I'm sure they have VESA of some sort -- probably VESA 3 if they're using an old Geforce video card. The Rose Tattoo box says it requires VESA 1.2 compliance. But not all video cards support non-standard VESA modes like the ones adventure games from around 1995 often used (to make their games "look" better).

DOSBox is probably the best choice for a game that can be run in DOS. It allows you to change the speed of your virtual computer, to adjust for the speed of your own computer. And according to the DOSBox site it is compatible with Rose Tattoo.
http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=1756&letter=T
Back to top Go down
lakerz
Daredevil Pioneer
lakerz

PostSubject: Re: older pc games and Vista   older pc games and Vista EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 6:42 am

My current PC is running Vista, and I don't care for it much. Still, I'll be stuck with it until I get a new PC in a few years. My Vista PC likes to freeze up a lot both in gaming and just browsing the web or doing nothing really. Some very strange BSOD also.

I liken Vista to Win7 as being comparable to WinME to WinXP, he he he. But yeah, Vista and 7 run a similar core while WinME runs a Win2000 core, right? But still, people were smart to skip ME and wait for XP, and I wish I had waited for Win7.
Back to top Go down
tsampikos
tsampikos

PostSubject: Re: older pc games and Vista   older pc games and Vista EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 7:32 am

@lakerz

Try Windows 7 and you will notice a significant performance difference.
Back to top Go down
lakerz
Daredevil Pioneer
lakerz

PostSubject: Re: older pc games and Vista   older pc games and Vista EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 2:38 am

For the better I hope? What a Face
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: older pc games and Vista   older pc games and Vista EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 3:02 am

Quite possibly , especially if you're having problems .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: older pc games and Vista   older pc games and Vista Empty

Back to top Go down

older pc games and Vista
Page 1 of 1