Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure games Point & Click and all things PC games

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gabriel Knight is Back

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
hatshepsut
Adventurer Extraordinaire
hatshepsut

Gabriel Knight is Back Empty
PostSubject: Gabriel Knight is Back   Gabriel Knight is Back EmptyWed Oct 09, 2013 5:31 pm

Gabriel Knight is Back

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers ®, Jane Jensen’s classic adventure game featuring a series of voodoo murders, New Orleans, forbidden romance, and the most charming womanizer you ever met, is back. Winner of numerous industry awards when it appeared in 1993, this 20th anniversary update will be better than ever with high res graphics, an all new remastered soundtrack, behind-the-scenes goodies, and the great gameplay and story of the original.

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers was the first Gabriel Knight adventure game, released in December 1993. Twenty years later, Jane’s indie studio Pinkerton Road has licensed the Gabriel Knight IP from Activision (the current license-holder) to create a new version of Sins of the Fathers for iPad, PC, and Mac. This 20th anniversary remake will release in mid-2014.

You can see screenshots and listen to part of the remastered sound track here at Gabriel Knight

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
haroldw
Wanderer's Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Knight is Back   Gabriel Knight is Back EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 5:13 am

Hello Mr. Hatshepsut, I haven't played any of the Gabriel Knight games but I read your review of it and think it gave me a good feel for that game. The screen shots you recommended look really good. I didn't know they had voice acting on AG's
in the 90's. I've only been playing them for 1 year (about). One thing you said about getting/giving permissions - license rights... to re-release it - sounds kinda scary to me, because I'm a indie developer (self proclaimed). for me, the thought of someone else "holding" the rights to something I spent months/even years creating - sounds like a great horror adventure game.
maybe I'm just not use to the business side of AG's. Sorry to write such a long post - but forum traffic seems lite today, so maybe no one will mind.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Knight is Back   Gabriel Knight is Back EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 6:34 pm

Hi haroldw. I know holding the license on a game can be a bit confusing. In the case of the Gabriel Knight series, Jane Jenson was the creator, she worked for Seirra On Line at the time, Sierra was the developer and publisher of the series. The developer and publisher hold the license. Since then Activision obtained some of Sierra's catalog and the license of the Gabriel Knight series. There are pros and cons with going with a developer and publisher and losing your rights to a game is one of them. The business end of publishing a game does need to be investigated carefully.

Yes by 1993 most of the AG's were bieng voice acted. There were great strides made in the first ten years of Adventure games. The Gabriel Knight series is worth playing as are several other early adventure games.

hatshepsut

Back to top Go down
lakerz
Daredevil Pioneer
lakerz

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Knight is Back   Gabriel Knight is Back EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 2:13 am

While I would *much* prefer that time/energy be spent on creating a NEW fantastic sequel in the Gabriel Knight franchise, I understand the complexities and realities of the industry that Jane Jenson is in. I never actually played the original but sat alongside a friend in college to watch. I remember thinking it was pretty cool. I did play part 2 and liked it tremendously. For whatever reason though, I never played part 3.

This remake looks great, but I'm sure plenty of people are concerned that the voice overs will have to completely redone with new actors. Oh well, it is what it is.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Knight is Back   Gabriel Knight is Back EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 7:41 am

I would much have preferred a fourth Gabriel Knight too. Or a remake to Gabriel Knight 3. I really can't imagine Gabriel Knight without Tim Curry. But I will still be glad of any Gabriel Knight that Jane can come up with.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
lakerz
Daredevil Pioneer
lakerz

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Knight is Back   Gabriel Knight is Back EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 2:41 am

I'd much rather see this than no more Gabriel Knight at all. Even though I purchased the original from GOG to play myself at some point, I'll likely purchase this remake to play.
Back to top Go down
GreyFuss
GreyFuss

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Knight is Back   Gabriel Knight is Back EmptyThu May 15, 2014 4:31 am

I am looking forward to Sins of the Fathers remake as I never wanted to play the first one. I was never interested in any gaming back then because of the graphics and computer generated poorly rendered characters of that time. So instead of playing I read the novel which was OK. To me Janes stories aren't bad but as a writer of books not so much. I think the book is almost verbatim to the game so I assume it was taken from the screenplay. Will be nice to give it a try as an update.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Knight is Back   Gabriel Knight is Back EmptyFri May 16, 2014 12:48 am

Hi GreyFuss I'm looking forward to the remake also. It is my understanding that not only will the graphics be updated but there will be some changes in the story and sound track. I thought it was a good story and a very good adventure.  Smile 

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gabriel Knight is Back   Gabriel Knight is Back Empty

Back to top Go down

Gabriel Knight is Back
Page 1 of 1