Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure games Point & Click and all things PC games

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Okay I'm new to this genre (as some of your know) and... :(

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
idrisguitar
Wanderer's Apprentice

Okay I'm new to this genre (as some of your know) and... :( Empty
PostSubject: Okay I'm new to this genre (as some of your know) and... :(   Okay I'm new to this genre (as some of your know) and... :( EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 10:33 pm

Basically im having trouble. I have taken some great advice from members in another topic on this forum about patience and also using a notepad to really work through the puzzles in both broken sword and secret of monkey island (the first to games I am playing right now)

However today has been a frustrating day and im truly hoping you guys can weigh in, as I'm starting to think I am not cut out for these games.

Firstly can I ask if Secret of Monkey Island is supposed to be hard? because to be honest with you, I'm close to giving up on it. I can understand why so many love it, so im not saying the game is bad. However for me, I can't solve its' puzzles. I TRULY can't. my brain just wont allow it.

There are some fun ones (getting to monkey island, and also getting ON monkey island were really fun and clever, but not too hard) but everything after just seems like so much trial and error and so little hints, that its simply not fun for me.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

BTW as I say this is me, and im not saying the game is illogical, but for me there was just no way I was going to figure these things out.

Maybe it turns out I'm no good at these games and I truly hope this isn't the case. However right now, the game is not giving me enough to go on, and I personally don't like spending an hour retracing my steps around the map and pixel hunting. It's not fun for me at all.

I used some hints from UHS and got further, but every time I thought I was getting it, I would get smashed into a new wall. And right now, the moment where im pretty much uninstalling the game, is where I just don't find it fun and I don't want to play it anymore.

Anyway im not looking for help in the game itself, just wondering if you can tell me if this is supposed to be so hard for a beginner like me? or is it honestly and simply a case that I am not cut out for this genre. Does my hatred of retracing steps, and a true hatred for pixel hunting pretty much mean I am totally wrong for this genre?

I haven't played broken sword for the last few days by the way and will continue with that tomorrow most probably, and hope to god I get on better. But in the meantime, could people please kindly recommend me any easier game, for me to at least get started, ones that don't require an hour or more of backtracking whenever you get stuck, and at least give some clues in the dialogue and environment.

PS: For the record, Im not into other gaming genres anymore. I'm not a FPS fan, and I dont care for instant gratification. Its why I was so excited for this genre of gaming, It focuses on story atmosphere and intelligence, and im really desperate to get on with it. but I'm fearing now it might be a little bit too hardcore for me, Sad
Back to top Go down
GreyFuss
Adventurer Extraordinaire
GreyFuss

PostSubject: Re: Okay I'm new to this genre (as some of your know) and... :(   Okay I'm new to this genre (as some of your know) and... :( EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 10:43 pm

First, I am no fan of the Monkey Island games so I can't speak up for them and the Broken Swords aren't my favorites either but I did enjoy them.

Second it sounds to me that maybe you ought to put those games away and play a game that has been recommended to new players many times on all the Forums. And that game is Syberia 1 followed by Syberia 2. Before you blow a gasket on your new hobby it may behoove you to switch games before you give it up entirely. You can always go back to these games at a later date.

Just my 2 cents
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

PostSubject: Re: Okay I'm new to this genre (as some of your know) and... :(   Okay I'm new to this genre (as some of your know) and... :( EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 10:49 pm

I recommend you go for Syberia and its sequel Idris. If you enjoy them, and you ought to, they may give you an appetite for more and more challenging Adventures. Something (though with a dark theme), like Blackstone Chronicles afterwards perhaps. It's not too tough, and has a good, but disturbing, storyline.
Back to top Go down
http://adventurepoint.co.uk
idrisguitar
Wanderer's Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Okay I'm new to this genre (as some of your know) and... :(   Okay I'm new to this genre (as some of your know) and... :( EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 11:14 pm

Thanks guys Smile

Sorry if my post came off as a bit of a rant. Just a little frustrated, especially considering how excited I am about this genre. (im looking for a more mature and deeper gaming experience than I have had in the past, maybe my brain just doesn't realise that yet Wink)

Anyway Syberia is ten minutes from completing its download (from BigFishGames) was cheap too Very Happy.

Will be the first game I play tomorrow for sure, and I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again,

~
Idris
Back to top Go down
HandsFree
Swashbuckling Globetrotter
HandsFree

PostSubject: Re: Okay I'm new to this genre (as some of your know) and... :(   Okay I'm new to this genre (as some of your know) and... :( EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 11:23 pm

Yes, Monkey Island is very hard. Not being able to finish it without help does not mean you won't enjoy adventure games. Many people use hints, there's no shame in that and I confess I need them with most games, and definitely the older ones.

It's also possible you just don't like the game. You've had several recommendations for Syberia and I thought it was a terrible game, but most seem to like it. So many gamers, so many opnions. It's certainly one of the easiest games. But if you enjoy that one, it's still OK to use a walkthrough.

My suggestion would be Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper for a very atmospheric and well researched easier game. It does have stand alone puzzles though, not sure if that's what you like. I think most newer games have demo's that you can try, so you can find out what games have what you're looking for. Secret Files 2 is another one, come to think of it. It's frowned on by (some) hardcore adventurists but it's relatively easy and interesting (I thought).
Back to top Go down
GreyFuss
GreyFuss

PostSubject: Re: Okay I'm new to this genre (as some of your know) and... :(   Okay I'm new to this genre (as some of your know) and... :( EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 11:25 pm

And remember Idris...Patience...The games are suppose to make you think, think and think again. Your experience with Syberia should be much different than the _____ Monkey Island games.
Back to top Go down
idrisguitar
Wanderer's Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Okay I'm new to this genre (as some of your know) and... :(   Okay I'm new to this genre (as some of your know) and... :( EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 11:36 pm

Thanks guys.

Im glad to know the game was supposed to be hard.

And I truly do try to be patient, but I think right now im too new to the genre to think so laterally in a game like that.

Oh and thanks HandsFree, I will definitely check out Sherlock Holmes VS JR Smile

I think for the very near future im better off starting slow. I think im just not in the right mindset yet, and having a few well made but slightly more forgiving games under my belt will not only increase my enjoyment, but also my patience for the next games (that might give me more of a challenge.)
Back to top Go down
GreyFuss
GreyFuss

PostSubject: Re: Okay I'm new to this genre (as some of your know) and... :(   Okay I'm new to this genre (as some of your know) and... :( EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 12:02 am

Idris

You might also do better with playing just one game at a time. At least until you develope more skills. After 14 years I still only play one game at a time.
Back to top Go down
idrisguitar
Wanderer's Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Okay I'm new to this genre (as some of your know) and... :(   Okay I'm new to this genre (as some of your know) and... :( EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 12:08 am

I only played monkey island alongside broken sword because they presented two different moods. and it was a nice alternative when BS seriousness was fatiguing.

but now I realize it kind of had the opposite effect Smile

So yeah, you're of course right Smile that is definitely something I will be doing from now on then
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Okay I'm new to this genre (as some of your know) and... :(   Okay I'm new to this genre (as some of your know) and... :( EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 12:40 am

Idris, GreyFuss beat me to it but I would really recommend playing only one game at a time. We all become frustrated with a game and rant from time to time. We all run into those puzzles that we can't figure out sometimes. I have found many times that there was a puzzle or some other part of the game that I was having all kinds of trouble with yet it seemed no one else had any trouble at all. We have all used walkthroughs, hints or someone has pointed us in the right direction. There are some games that are extremely hard and I would recommend setting them aside for a later time. Bieng new at adventure games I think that you just haven't discovered the type or genre that you like best. Syberia, Sherlock Holmes vs Jp, and Secret Files 2 have been suggested, they are all fairly easy for the beginner. I would suggest that since you are having some trouble with puzzles that maybe for the time bieng you stick with games that have fewer puzzles in them. Let us know how you get along with Syberia. And remember you can always ask for help .We have all been on the same part of the road you are on now.

Happy gaming
hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
idrisguitar
Wanderer's Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Okay I'm new to this genre (as some of your know) and... :(   Okay I'm new to this genre (as some of your know) and... :( EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 1:07 am

Cheers Wink

and i would be okay if it was a puzzle here or there but it felt like at every turn i was totally in the dark as i got further into SOMI,

but anyway for now i will go with the easier games suggested and hopefully get back on a positive track Smile
Back to top Go down
GreyFuss
GreyFuss

PostSubject: Re: Okay I'm new to this genre (as some of your know) and... :(   Okay I'm new to this genre (as some of your know) and... :( EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 1:30 am

Idris

With the dozens of suggestions and help you have received here at Just Adventure and Adventure Gamers it is time for you to devote all that Forum time into game time...Go forth and play young Grasshopper there are many adventures that await you.

"Come Watson...There is a game afoot"
Back to top Go down
idrisguitar
Wanderer's Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Okay I'm new to this genre (as some of your know) and... :(   Okay I'm new to this genre (as some of your know) and... :( EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 2:35 am

For sure Smile

Ill keep in touch though Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Okay I'm new to this genre (as some of your know) and... :(   Okay I'm new to this genre (as some of your know) and... :( Empty

Back to top Go down

Okay I'm new to this genre (as some of your know) and... :(
Page 1 of 1