Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure games Point & Click and all things PC games

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What Darkside Games Do You Like?

Go down 
+6
Faust
Mystery Lover
Gunness
Gelert
winfrey
hatshepsut
10 posters

Action
What Darkside Games Do You Like? I_vote_lcap14%What Darkside Games Do You Like? I_vote_rcap
 14% [ 4 ]
RPG
What Darkside Games Do You Like? I_vote_lcap25%What Darkside Games Do You Like? I_vote_rcap
 25% [ 7 ]
Strategy
What Darkside Games Do You Like? I_vote_lcap11%What Darkside Games Do You Like? I_vote_rcap
 11% [ 3 ]
Action-Adventure
What Darkside Games Do You Like? I_vote_lcap32%What Darkside Games Do You Like? I_vote_rcap
 32% [ 9 ]
Other
What Darkside Games Do You Like? I_vote_lcap18%What Darkside Games Do You Like? I_vote_rcap
 18% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 28

AuthorMessage
hatshepsut
Adventurer Extraordinaire
hatshepsut

What Darkside Games Do You Like? Empty
PostSubject: What Darkside Games Do You Like?   What Darkside Games Do You Like? EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 5:48 pm

I like the Action - Adventures like the Tomb Raider games. I like strategy games too. I like the Prince of Persia games and I love the Castlevania games. So what games do you like? Take the poll, you can vote for more than one and can post if you have other.

I like playing most of the darkside games on consoles. What do you like playing your darkside games on ?

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
winfrey
Daredevil Pioneer
winfrey

PostSubject: Re: What Darkside Games Do You Like?   What Darkside Games Do You Like? EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 6:01 pm

I haven't played many Darkside Games, but the few I have I loved... I played Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine and Indigo Prophecy and really enjoyed them. I played them on my pc. I don't have an xbox or PS3-- yet - looking at the PS3 though Smile
I do have Tomb Raider games on my TBPP Smile
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/winfreysgames/
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

PostSubject: Re: What Darkside Games Do You Like?   What Darkside Games Do You Like? EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 6:25 pm

A-hem! Cough! Cough! .................. Well, you know I'm a closet darksider, yeh? Oblivion is my first RPG, but the only other that's ever tempted me in recent years is Assassin's Creed. I may play that one day.

Otherwise, it's a few Action-Adventures for me.

I've always liked Tomb Raider, and played all but Underworld. My favourites are definitely the 1st and 4th, and my least favourite, by far, Chronicles. I really liked Soul Reaver too, but not so much it's follow-up. That wasn't as good.

Others I've liked include Max Payne and the excellent, excellent Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine. I played Silent Hill too (1st one), and quite liked it, but couldn't win the final battle (a common problem for me in games, boss battles, and I don't like that part of gameplay at all).

But .......................... as some people may know from my posts on forums in 'another life', and a review I posted on GB once upon a time, my favourite all-timer amongst Action-Adventures is ...................... OUTCAST. Terrific game. Smile , but with a cancelled sequel. Sad

Strategy games are a big turn-off for me. Starnge, I always think, that people who know I play Adventure games always say that I should ideally like strategy games as well. I can't stand them, and feel completely unabsorbed by the game-world in such games.

So, for me, I've just voted in the Action-Adventure category.

Last edited by Gelert on Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://adventurepoint.co.uk
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: What Darkside Games Do You Like?   What Darkside Games Do You Like? EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 7:34 pm

I have Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, Indigo Prophecy, and Outcast on my to play pile. I'll be playing them on PC

I have Tomb Raider Legend and Underworld on my to play pile. I'm about halfway through TR Anniversary. I loved the First Tomb Raider and I disliked Chronicles intensely.

I really liked Soul Reaver too, awesome graphics. I liked the first Silent Hill the best too. I'm still trying to beat the big boss in three.

I don't generally like the strategy games but I play Pharaoh and Immortals Cities: Children of the Nile off and on

I've been looking at Assassin's Creed too. I'm probably going to get it. I keep looking at Oblivion but I'm still undecided.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Gunness
Wanderer's Apprentice
Gunness

PostSubject: Re: What Darkside Games Do You Like?   What Darkside Games Do You Like? EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 8:36 am

Please enlighten the uninitiated - what exactly does "Darkside Games" mean? Anything that's not an adventure?
Back to top Go down
http://www.solutionarchive.com
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: What Darkside Games Do You Like?   What Darkside Games Do You Like? EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 4:02 pm

Hi Gunness

Yes anything that isn't Adventure we generally refer to it as a Darkside game. That would include all the Action, RPG, Strategy and Survival Horror. Games like The Tomb Raiders, Silent Hills, Prince of Persia's, STALKER, Oblivion etc. Smile

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

PostSubject: Re: What Darkside Games Do You Like?   What Darkside Games Do You Like? EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 4:19 pm

Don't be too worried about it, though, Gunness. My doctor has recently prescribed for me tablets and some smelly ointment which, so he says, will almost completely clear up my Darkside affliction within a matter of weeks. I hope he's right! Until then, I'm being punished by having to read my Dark Side offenders oath of allegience to Adventure games in my signature each and every time I post. lol!
Back to top Go down
Gunness
Wanderer's Apprentice
Gunness

PostSubject: Re: What Darkside Games Do You Like?   What Darkside Games Do You Like? EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 6:14 pm

My my my, the dark side is huge this time of year Smile
Anyway, as long as we're having fun, there's no reason to care about genres cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.solutionarchive.com
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

PostSubject: Re: What Darkside Games Do You Like?   What Darkside Games Do You Like? EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 7:35 pm

Gunness wrote:
My my my, the dark side is huge this time of year Smile
Anyway, as long as we're having fun, there's no reason to care about genres cheers

Quite right ...................... and . . . . as long as I'm cured. lol!
Back to top Go down
Mystery Lover
Daredevil Pioneer
Mystery Lover

PostSubject: Re: What Darkside Games Do You Like?   What Darkside Games Do You Like? EmptySat Mar 06, 2010 11:33 pm

What if PART of the cure is playing some casual games??? LOL!! Drawn, perhaps? Come on Gelert... you know you are curious.... Come, come with me... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

PostSubject: Re: What Darkside Games Do You Like?   What Darkside Games Do You Like? EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 1:19 am

Never, Never, Never ...............ngggggggggg ...................ng..NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! affraid
Back to top Go down
Mystery Lover
Daredevil Pioneer
Mystery Lover

PostSubject: Re: What Darkside Games Do You Like?   What Darkside Games Do You Like? EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 2:28 pm

lol! Come on... I promise I won't tell a soul!! I can open up anew door of opportunity for you to play new games all day... come Gelert!!! Come with me!!! You won't regret it and no one will know... lol!
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: What Darkside Games Do You Like?   What Darkside Games Do You Like? EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 2:54 pm

Morrowind was my first rpg . Dad was hooked , & it didn't take long for me to get hooked as well ! I have Dragon Age : Origins on my "to play" pile .I've played Oblivion . Excellent game !! Lately though , I've been playing some fps games , specifically Crysis . I want to see what my new video card can & can't do . I also have Far Cry 2 . May have to play that after Crysis .
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: What Darkside Games Do You Like?   What Darkside Games Do You Like? EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 10:11 pm

I keep looking at Dragon Age: Origins. I think it's going to be one of my next purchases. Smile

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Magoozelle
Wanderer's Apprentice
Magoozelle

PostSubject: Re: What Darkside Games Do You Like?   What Darkside Games Do You Like? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 5:10 pm

Did you ever end up getting Dragon Age, hatshepsut?
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: What Darkside Games Do You Like?   What Darkside Games Do You Like? EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 5:18 pm

A highly recommended game (Dragon Age) !! I sprang for the CE myself .
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: What Darkside Games Do You Like?   What Darkside Games Do You Like? EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 7:23 pm

Hi Magoozelle. No I haven't gotten Dragon Origins yet. It's still on my list with a couple of others for purchase Smile

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Lady Kestrel
Daredevil Pioneer
Lady Kestrel

PostSubject: Re: What Darkside Games Do You Like?   What Darkside Games Do You Like? EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 8:04 pm

I clicked other on the list because I mostly play casual games (board, card, HOGs, match 3, etc.) when I'm not playing adventures. I have the RPGs Baldur's Gate and Sid Meyer's Alpha Centuri as well as the sims Majesty and The Oregon Trail on my shelves, but have never played either. The only "shooters" I've played have been Zuma and the Luxor series. farao
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: What Darkside Games Do You Like?   What Darkside Games Do You Like? EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 8:08 pm

I've played a little of Baulders Gate but I've never been able to get very far in it. Smile

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: What Darkside Games Do You Like?   What Darkside Games Do You Like? EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 8:39 pm

The first Baldur's Gate was a bit rough for me to play , but the second was much better ! A classic rpg is Icewind Dale ! I've payed that at least a half dozen times, & it never gets boring !!!!
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: What Darkside Games Do You Like?   What Darkside Games Do You Like? EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 9:26 pm

I haven't tried Icewind Dale. I'll have to do some research on it.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
GreyFuss
GreyFuss

PostSubject: Re: What Darkside Games Do You Like?   What Darkside Games Do You Like? EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 12:34 am

In answer to the question of this thread...None
Back to top Go down
Mullane
Speculative Fortune-Hunter
Mullane

PostSubject: Re: What Darkside Games Do You Like?   What Darkside Games Do You Like? EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 7:50 am

A bit late but.... I usually play rpgs (of the japanese variety to be more exact) when i'm not adventuring. Funnily enough I actually got into rpgs becuase I was seeking a playing experience similar to that of Maniac Mansion and Toonstruck.

I think the two genres have a lot in common. Some would argue the main focus of an rpg is the battling, but in most cases the emphasis is actually on engaging stories, deep characters and puzzles. I think a lot of adventure gamers would appreciate the story depth given to some of them aswell. The puzzles in rpgs are usually set out in a different manner, which are mainly focused around getting through a particular dungeon or to other areas. These puzzles do include all of the different types of puzzles you will find in an adventure, but are often few and far between.

I do not think that WRPGS (term used to make things clearer) like Fallout, Dragon Age, Mass Effect would appeal as much to adventure players as much as JRPGS (" ") like Suikoden, Final Fantasy, Tales of and Grandia would, but I can't be certain. What I do know is that I have found stories and characters in them that easily rival what is found in adventure games.
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: What Darkside Games Do You Like?   What Darkside Games Do You Like? EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 2:15 pm

I played Fallout 3 , & liked it a lot ! Fallout : New Vegas is supposed to be even better , according to a friend . I have Dragon Age (CE) , & Mass Effect . To me , Dragon Age is very similar to another classic rpg , Icewind Dale . A very cool story & characters ! Then again , I played D&D in my younger years . The graphics are excellent , but it's the story I like even more ! The Witcher is another excellent rpg that springs to mind . Mass Effect is on my "to play " pile . Haven't got around to it yet , but from all I've heard , it's a good game as well !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Darkside Games Do You Like?   What Darkside Games Do You Like? Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1