Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure games Point & Click and all things PC games

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Casual Games?

Go down 
+2
Gelert
Mystery Lover
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mystery Lover
Daredevil Pioneer
Mystery Lover

Casual Games? Empty
PostSubject: Casual Games?   Casual Games? EmptyMon Jan 18, 2010 2:48 pm

Okay, don't throw tomatoes at me... but can we discuss casual games too? Or is that a no-no on Adventure forums? (ducking...)
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Adventurer Extraordinaire
Gelert

Casual Games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casual Games?   Casual Games? EmptyMon Jan 18, 2010 7:38 pm

Hmm! Of course you can. Wink

Personally, they're not my cup of tea, though, and you'll find very few, if any in the data base I'm afraid. flower

I'd say keep the discussions in the General Talk section though. Otherwise Adventure Point may lose THOUSANDS of members in protest! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://adventurepoint.co.uk
Mystery Lover
Daredevil Pioneer
Mystery Lover

Casual Games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casual Games?   Casual Games? EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 12:43 am

LOL! Okay, I understand! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

Casual Games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casual Games?   Casual Games? EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 12:49 am

Hey Mystery Lover! My mistake. I'm having a good day ............ NOT! . . . . Duh! :albino:

Why don't you talk about Casual games in the forum entitled 'Limbo of the Lost Adventurer'? That's where 'other' genres are supposed to be discussed.

Stupid me! What a Face

Gelert. flower
Back to top Go down
Mystery Lover
Daredevil Pioneer
Mystery Lover

Casual Games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casual Games?   Casual Games? EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 12:52 am

Thanks, but like you said, no one would answer. I love my adventure games, and can talk about them on and on, and on, and on... well you get the idea!! LOL! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

Casual Games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casual Games?   Casual Games? EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 12:55 am

Mystery Lover wrote:
Thanks, but like you said, no one would answer. I love my adventure games, and can talk about them on and on, and on, and on... well you get the idea!! LOL! Very Happy

I bet there's a few here that like them. LakerZ for one. I know he does. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mystery Lover
Daredevil Pioneer
Mystery Lover

Casual Games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casual Games?   Casual Games? EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 12:57 am

If I may ask, what do you not like about them? I'm just curious.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

Casual Games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casual Games?   Casual Games? EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 12:57 am

There is always the possibility that it would attract other causal players that you could discuss casual games with. Smile

What dont you like about casual games sounds like a good topic. You could start one in Limbo of the Lost like Gelert mentioned.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Mystery Lover
Daredevil Pioneer
Mystery Lover

Casual Games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casual Games?   Casual Games? EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 1:07 am

Already done! Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

Casual Games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casual Games?   Casual Games? EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 1:11 am

Hi Mystery Lover!

Okay. You've got me there, and I can't tell a lie. The fact is I haven't played any of them (or, maybe just one .... once), so I can't be absolutely sure I wouldn't like them.

The graphics in some of them look pretty jaw droppingly gorgeous, I admit. So, I can definitely understand why they're so popular. But I don't think I'd like object hunting for the sake of it, if that's what most of them are (I may well be wrong). Not, anyway, half as much as a full Adventure game with puzzles, a good plot and with even some excruciatingly annoying pixel hunting tossed into the mix.

Maybe it's just because I'm wary of having so many Adventures I want to play, and I don't want to be pulled away from them. I'm not sure. I do play action-adventures sometimes, and I'm even playing Oblivion, an RPG, these days. So I'm not afraid to try something new. It's just that thought in my head that Casual games are basically just object finding games that puts me off. As I say, I may be wrong, and maybe I've got the wrong impression entirely.

Too set in my ways perhaps! flower

By the way, I've just added Casual Games to the description of the Limbo of the Lost Adventurer forum. flower
Back to top Go down
Mystery Lover
Daredevil Pioneer
Mystery Lover

Casual Games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casual Games?   Casual Games? EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 2:28 am

I agree that the strictly HOG's can be boring. But The The ones I call "Hidden Adventure" are more involved. Like Drawn The Painted Tower, and Dire Grove.
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

Casual Games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casual Games?   Casual Games? EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 4:32 pm

How about casual games on the NintendoDS Lite? I'm in the middle of playing Mystery Case Files: MillionHeir at present. Seeing the BigFish logo come up when the game starts surprised me the first time, but MCF is their game series after all. And this one is every bit as good as those for the PC, maybe a little bit better in fact. It has some interesting new twists added. I'm really enjoying playing this one.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

Casual Games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casual Games?   Casual Games? EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 4:48 pm

Hmmm I was just reading about some games coming out on Nintendo DS but can't recall if any of them were casual. I'll go back and check it out.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

Casual Games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casual Games?   Casual Games? EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 8:02 pm

Hi hatshepsut,
Thanks for checking, and while you are at it, check for any adventure games on the DS, too, as I also try to play those. I'm still new to the handheld console world so I haven't played many games yet. I checked the ones on the list here and have the ones I want ready to play or on order. I did try to buy Syberia for the DS, but somehow got the XBOX version instead. Not that I have an XBOX.
Back to top Go down
Lady Kestrel
Daredevil Pioneer
Lady Kestrel

Casual Games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casual Games?   Casual Games? EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 10:42 pm

Mystery Lover wrote:
I agree that the strictly HOG's can be boring. But The The ones I call "Hidden Adventure" are more involved. Like Drawn The Painted Tower, and Dire Grove.
I just finished Dire Grove and really enjoyed it. The puzzles weren't as tricky as some in the Ravenhurst games, but I still had fun with it. I did have to fetch a sweatshirt in the middle of it, however, because of all that snow.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

Casual Games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casual Games?   Casual Games? EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 9:14 pm

Nintendo DS Adventure and Casual games that are scheduled for release in Feb.

Nancy Drew: the Model Mysteries - released
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth - released
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - released
The Whispered World - scheduled for Feb release
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice for All - scheduled for Feb release
Run Away a Twist of Fate - scheduled for April 2010 release
Turtle Odyssey - released
Jane's Hotel - released
Cake Mania 3 - released
Big Fish Games and Nintendo did sign an agreement so there should be more titles coming to Nintendo DS.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

Casual Games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casual Games?   Casual Games? EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 11:21 pm

Thanks for the list, hatshepsut,
I didn't know The Whispered World was also coming out on the DS, that's really good news! I've been waiting for this one for the Win XP for ages and it still hasn't been released here, as far as I know, but I think it is a big hit in Europe.
Phoenix Wright is an old game and I think it is a collector's item these days. I've actually seen it priced at Amazon for as high as $99.99 to my shocked surprise!
I already have Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth on order.
Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice is the game I'm planning on playing later today. This game has been around for some time so it didn't make your list. I just mentioned it because of the Ace Attorney connection.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

Casual Games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casual Games?   Casual Games? EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 11:43 pm

You are welcome. I do believe that The Whispered World is a big hit in Europe. I will start watching for DS releases along with the pc releases.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Catnip
Wanderer's Apprentice
Catnip

Casual Games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casual Games?   Casual Games? EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 3:41 pm

I love casual games! I like HOG games that have adventure elements, like the Dire Grove game ML mentioned. I loved Drawn, and it was basically a full-on adventure story. It was so beautifully done. The drawing reminded me a bit of the movie Nightmare Before Christmas.

My favorites are the time management games. I love the Diner Dash series, the Emily Delicious Deluxe series, and lots of others, like Fab Fashion. I play that sort of game when I'm stressed out, and it really does relax me. I think maybe it's because I waited tables throughout college, and sometimes it's nice to go through it all again on a computer screen, and see if I'm still good at juggling all of that stuff at once.

I also enjoy the marble popping games, like Zuma and Sparkle. I get in different moods, and sometimes I even play brick busters. My favorite of those is Funkiball Adventures. It's more than a brick buster--it's got hidden keys that you have to find, etc.

Edited to add: I also have a beloved DS that I got a year ago at Christmas, and I love it! My Mom was intrigued, and she asked for one for this last Christmas, so I got her one, and she is hooked! She loves the Professor Layton games, which are sort of like logic/puzzle games. She also plays Bookworm on it a lot. She says that it helps her keep her memory sharp, as she's in her 70's.
Back to top Go down
Mystery Lover
Daredevil Pioneer
Mystery Lover

Casual Games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casual Games?   Casual Games? EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 4:55 pm

cheers YAY!!! Another casual game lover!!! I KNEW they were out there!! LOL!!
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

Casual Games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casual Games?   Casual Games? EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 5:36 pm

Hi Catnip,
I'm in my 80s and I like my DS Lite too, but for different reasons from your mother. I like the HOGs(Mystery Case Files: MillionHeir was really good with new twists) and the adventure games. Or is it *attorney games?* as I'm playing Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice at present and laughing a lot. He is so cute! It is his first case, and mine too since this is the first Ace Attorney game for me. I did try to play Professor Layton and the Curious Village (and one cut scene in the park with the Ferris wheel just blew me away!) but then I got stuck in a loop (I don't think it's a glitch in the game, just me) and couldn't advance so I quit. I did find out that I'm not that fond of his puzzles so I won't be going on with that series.
I want to add that I admire your ability to be a waitress! I tried being one for a week back when I was in my 20s, and had to quit, I was terrible at it. But since then I have appreciated the work and skills that are part of being a waitress.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Casual Games? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casual Games?   Casual Games? Empty

Back to top Go down

Casual Games?
Page 1 of 1