Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure games Point & Click and all things PC games

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What Do You Dislike In An Adventure Game

Go down 
+4
jkeerie
Gelert
GreyFuss
hatshepsut
8 posters
AuthorMessage
hatshepsut
Adventurer Extraordinaire
hatshepsut

What Do You Dislike In An Adventure Game Empty
PostSubject: What Do You Dislike In An Adventure Game   What Do You Dislike In An Adventure Game EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 4:20 am

What makes you pull your hair out in an Adventure Game? Maybe a sudden death or timed sequence. Or a complicated puzzle or is it something else ? For me it's the music puzzles. I dislike them intensely. I have never found a music puzzle that didn't take days or weeks to solve.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
GreyFuss
GreyFuss

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Dislike In An Adventure Game   What Do You Dislike In An Adventure Game EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 4:45 am

I am in the middle of a %@*!? What Do You Dislike In An Adventure Game 2 *&#@! >!?#@ What Do You Dislike In An Adventure Game 2 jungle maze in Atlantis 2 right now!!!!
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Dislike In An Adventure Game   What Do You Dislike In An Adventure Game EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 3:01 pm

I remember that in Atlantis 2, GreyFuss. It's a pain alright! I loved that game though.

For me, I'd say lack of originality in storyline and lack of the 'unexpected surprises'.

I know that sounds vague, but playing a more-modern (usually), game that doesn't have that pizazz of some older games, but still has wonderful graphics, music, etc., just seems such a waste somehow. I can give an example; Keepsake, to me, looked wonderful, and the story wasn't too bad, but it just lacked something in the pizazz department (in fact, it bored me stiff!), whereas Discworld Noir had a wicked twist two thirds of the way through, the Neverhood had amazing originality, Dark Fall has excellent writing and EVEN Dementia, even though it drove me around the bend, had the almost pig-headed originality in its making that I just don't see very often these days. Another good example IMHO would be Dreamfall c.t. The Longest Journey. Yes, I know that, if you like The Longest Journey, Dreamfall had a lot to live up to, but it was such a disappointment for me when I contrasted the diverse (and very weird, sometimes), environments of TLJ with it. And I love well-written dialogue trees, EVEN long ones.

Also, most recent games are faaaar too short. Like I always say, the money spent on a game can be enormous these days but "Graphics aren't EVERYTHING", and do we sometimes pay more for less gameplay time and less quality writing and voice acting because the 'look' must be sooo top notch? Many independently made Adventures (e.g.; LHOD series, Wittard, Dark Fall, The Filmmaker, Remedy), have great graphics and, on that subject, what's wrong with 2D cartoon graphics anyway? For me, Broken Sword 1 and 2 graphics What Do You Dislike In An Adventure Game 2 Broken Sword 3 and 4 graphics What Do You Dislike In An Adventure Game 1. Why? Magic lost! Of course, I'm a 2D hand-drawn graphics fan when it comes to comic Adventures, so I'm biased. I, too, have my exceptions though;

I loved Stupid Invaders. What Do You Dislike In An Adventure Game 8
Back to top Go down
http://adventurepoint.co.uk
jkeerie
Daredevil Pioneer
jkeerie

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Dislike In An Adventure Game   What Do You Dislike In An Adventure Game EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 3:03 pm

I hate timed, arcade or action sequences. Twisted Evil That ruins the adventure for me. There is a reason I chose the adventure genre versus arcade and action games. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Mystery Lover
Daredevil Pioneer
Mystery Lover

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Dislike In An Adventure Game   What Do You Dislike In An Adventure Game EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 3:19 pm

I agree 100% JK!!
Back to top Go down
HandsFree
Swashbuckling Globetrotter
HandsFree

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Dislike In An Adventure Game   What Do You Dislike In An Adventure Game EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 11:02 pm

I love music puzzles. And I don't mind so much about sliders or mazes or timed bits.
What I don't like:
- action/arcade
- game over moments right after a cutscene
- limited savegames
- lengthy dialogue to explain the plot
- unskippable dialogue
- no option for subtitles
- 3D games in 3rd person perspective
- most of all: anything that might be referred to with the word 'casual'
Back to top Go down
Magoozelle
Wanderer's Apprentice
Magoozelle

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Dislike In An Adventure Game   What Do You Dislike In An Adventure Game EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 5:28 am

My biggest pet peeve is timed sequences. I hate them in all game genres, they stress me out. It's pretty much assured that if I come to a timed sequence, I will quit playing unless I really love the game.
Back to top Go down
winfrey
Daredevil Pioneer
winfrey

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Dislike In An Adventure Game   What Do You Dislike In An Adventure Game EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 4:40 pm

I would have to say-- timed sequences. I really don't like to be rushed in an Adventure game. And I don't like dieing and having to go all the way back to my last save. ( and then having to listen to all of the conversations with no way to skip them) take me back to just where I died. :bounce:
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/winfreysgames/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Dislike In An Adventure Game   What Do You Dislike In An Adventure Game Empty

Back to top Go down

What Do You Dislike In An Adventure Game
Page 1 of 1