Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure games Point & Click and all things PC games

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What was the first adventure game you played?

Go down 
+6
Mystery Lover
Jen
Gelert
Gunness
GreyFuss
jkeerie
10 posters
AuthorMessage
jkeerie
Daredevil Pioneer
jkeerie

What was the first adventure game you played? Empty
PostSubject: What was the first adventure game you played?   What was the first adventure game you played? EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 5:17 pm

This topic has been posted in other forums at other sites...but since we're such a tight little group, I'll ask the question here:

What was the first adventure game you played....and how did you get into adventure games? Smile
Back to top Go down
GreyFuss
Adventurer Extraordinaire
GreyFuss

PostSubject: Re: What was the first adventure game you played?   What was the first adventure game you played? EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 6:15 pm

Very good topic Jkeerie

My very first was Treasure Quest. Although I did not get very far in this game as it was for a million dollars and because of that extremely difficult, I fell in love with the exploration, the note taking, the thought processes and the overall feeling of me playing into the game I was hooked. I would take my notes to work with me and every spare moment go over them to see if I could figure out what it was they wanted. The game was constantly on my mind and I couldn't wait to get home to try something new. Followed this game was Shivers, Phantasmagoria and The Beast Within.

Last edited by GreyFuss on Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gunness
Wanderer's Apprentice
Gunness

PostSubject: Re: What was the first adventure game you played?   What was the first adventure game you played? EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 6:17 pm

That would be either Arrow of Death or Gremlins - early 1985 I think. I had no clue what was going on and had a very limited understanding of English at that point. Amazing how far you can get, armed with a dictionary Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.solutionarchive.com
jkeerie
Daredevil Pioneer
jkeerie

PostSubject: Re: What was the first adventure game you played?   What was the first adventure game you played? EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 6:34 pm

Very interesting, GF...and as for being "clueless" Gunness....I think there was a lot of that going around when many of us started.

I had gotten a pc so that I could do some work at home. I also knew that I wanted to do more than work, so I downloaed a free demo of the game "Pandora's Box" from Microsoft. Pandora was not an adventure but a visual puzzle game. I loved it and went to Media Play to see if I could find it. I did! I spent hours...staying up some nights until 2 am playing. When I finished, I went back to Media Play and the worker there recommended "Contraptions". That was fun as well. When I finished that, Riddle of the Sphinx was recommended to me at Media Play. I started that game and was excited at the visual backdrops and the searching through the tent and around the pyramid. Of course, I felt like a moron...TOTALLY clueless as to what to do or where to go. I discovered the walkthrough...but was less than satisfied. So, I tried Frankenstien and The Mummy...which I enjoyed with the live acting and video. Unfortunately, I was still a moron. 😢
So back to Media Play where I noticed Nancy Drew Message in a Haunted Mansion...for "little girls 10 and up." I qualified! So I brought that home and played it on New Years Day...eschewing my dinner...but enjoying my success! cheers

I've been playing games ever since...many times needing the nudge of the walkthrough when I'm stumped...but enjoying every second of the genre! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

PostSubject: Re: What was the first adventure game you played?   What was the first adventure game you played? EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 6:44 pm

Hi Gunness (sounds like my favourite drink! Laughing ), and welcome to The Point. flower

I was late. I bought my first 'machine' (a Playstation), in the mid-90's, and it was because I liked the look of a new game that was out at the time. I'd never played a video, or computer, game before - ever! The game was Tomb Raider. I loved it but, a few weeks later, I spied another game that I really loved the look of as soon as I saw the packaging. I didn't know at the time, but this was what was correctly called an Adventure game - a point and click Adventure game. The game, which is still one of my all-time favourites, was Broken Sword 2. I played Broken Sword (1), later. That game propelled me into the fantasy world of Adventure games (Discworld, etc.), and, by 1999, with our local stores still, at that time, full to the rafters with big-box computer games, it wasn't long before I started to become mesmerised by the PC games on offer. The one that made my mind up to buy my first computer was Gabriel Knight 3. I just HAD To HAVE IT! Soon after was The Longest Journey and, from then on, the slide into Adventure gaming addiction heaven was unstoppable.

Little did I know that I'd entered the world of Adventure games toward the end of the 'real' golden era, and that the game stores would soon start replacing their stocks of computer games, and Adventure games especially, with multiple console games and that the lovely big cardboard boxes would, also, soon be gone. That's why eBay (as much as I still dislike it), and I began our long, for me, love-hate relationship and GameTZ became my friend, as I tried to catch up on all the years of Adventure wonderment that I'd missed.

. . . . and that, my friends, is why I am not a rich man! What was the first adventure game you played? 1

. . . . . . . . but, in terms of all the Adventure game playing catching up I still have to do, I'm a nutty billionaire! What was the first adventure game you played? 21
Back to top Go down
http://adventurepoint.co.uk
jkeerie
Daredevil Pioneer
jkeerie

PostSubject: Re: What was the first adventure game you played?   What was the first adventure game you played? EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 6:48 pm

LOL! Gelert. Laughing I think we'd all have a bit more coin in our pockets had we not begun such a hobby. I got started late as well...2000. I was fortunate to find a few classics at some online stores...and stocked up at Dreamcatcher when I had the chance.
Back to top Go down
Jen
Opportunist Explorer
Jen

PostSubject: Re: What was the first adventure game you played?   What was the first adventure game you played? EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 8:13 pm

My first PC adventure game was one with "Blue" in the name. It was a police game in the Sierra vein but I don't think it was by Sierra. This was in the early 90s sometime. I suppose I could look up what the game actually was, but I am too lazy...
Back to top Go down
Mystery Lover
Daredevil Pioneer
Mystery Lover

PostSubject: Re: What was the first adventure game you played?   What was the first adventure game you played? EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 8:15 pm

You already know how I got started playing PC games ( taking my hat off and bowing to you...! ) but for those that do not, JK got me started playing a Nancy Drew, was it Haunted Mansion - anyway, after that, I was hooked! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jkeerie
Daredevil Pioneer
jkeerie

PostSubject: Re: What was the first adventure game you played?   What was the first adventure game you played? EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 8:18 pm

It was Haunted Mansion. That one will always be my favorite Nancy Drew...because it was my first...and it was real sleuthing! No Chores!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Mystery Lover
Daredevil Pioneer
Mystery Lover

PostSubject: Re: What was the first adventure game you played?   What was the first adventure game you played? EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 8:41 pm

Then we played The Watchmaker? Or no?
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

PostSubject: Re: What was the first adventure game you played?   What was the first adventure game you played? EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 8:44 pm

Jen wrote:
My first PC adventure game was one with "Blue" in the name. It was a police game in the Sierra vein but I don't think it was by Sierra. This was in the early 90s sometime. I suppose I could look up what the game actually was, but I am too lazy...

Jen. Blue Force perhaps? It was made by some of the people that made the earlier Police Quest series. study

EDIT : It's here; http://www.adventurepoint.co.uk/#/blue-force/4528656497

The main screenshot is a cut scene.
Back to top Go down
http://adventurepoint.co.uk
jkeerie
Daredevil Pioneer
jkeerie

PostSubject: Re: What was the first adventure game you played?   What was the first adventure game you played? EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 9:03 pm

ML: I know we played the Watchmaker together, but don't recall if it was the second one we played or more Nancy Drews (Stay Tuned for Danger, Secrets Can Kill). Haunted Mansion was the third in the series.
Back to top Go down
Mystery Lover
Daredevil Pioneer
Mystery Lover

PostSubject: Re: What was the first adventure game you played?   What was the first adventure game you played? EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 9:04 pm

Oh yea, that's right!! More Nancy Drews!! Still my favs! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jkeerie
Daredevil Pioneer
jkeerie

PostSubject: Re: What was the first adventure game you played?   What was the first adventure game you played? EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 9:05 pm

Oh and the Cameron Files. Those were good games. Sorry they quit making them. 😢
Back to top Go down
Mystery Lover
Daredevil Pioneer
Mystery Lover

PostSubject: Re: What was the first adventure game you played?   What was the first adventure game you played? EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 9:06 pm

Me too. I liked the second one more than the first though.
Back to top Go down
jkeerie
Daredevil Pioneer
jkeerie

PostSubject: Re: What was the first adventure game you played?   What was the first adventure game you played? EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 9:07 pm

Was the second one the Eqypt one? I just know I had a hard time getting away from the mummy! I choke under pressure. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Mystery Lover
Daredevil Pioneer
Mystery Lover

PostSubject: Re: What was the first adventure game you played?   What was the first adventure game you played? EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 10:11 pm

LOL!! Yes! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jen
Opportunist Explorer
Jen

PostSubject: Re: What was the first adventure game you played?   What was the first adventure game you played? EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 11:39 pm

Yep, Gelert, Blue Force. I liked it because it was the first game I played that didn't involve hurrying every minute. I came into gaming via consoles, first in the arcades and then original NES.
Back to top Go down
Magoozelle
Wanderer's Apprentice
Magoozelle

PostSubject: Re: What was the first adventure game you played?   What was the first adventure game you played? EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 4:46 am

My first adventure game was The Curse of Monkey Island. My father got it for me, Christmas of 1997. It changed my life, literally. Of course I still have it, and it is my favorite adventure game.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: What was the first adventure game you played?   What was the first adventure game you played? EmptySat Feb 06, 2010 4:32 am

I started out as a console player too. Playing action adventures. Then one day I browsing at Best Buy when A game caught my eye that I just had to have. The guy told me they only had Riddle of the Sphinx on PC. I thought that over for about two seconds grabbed the game along with Timeline and Mummy Tomb of the Pharaoh and Titanic which I spied on the bargain shelf. Then I got a computer to play them on. Yep that's right when I made my first venture into adventure games I didn't even have a computer. If I had known anything about game addiction then that should have told me something. Riddle of the Sphinx was the first one I put in to play, I got stuck almost immediately. Then I tried Mummy Tomb of the Pharaoh, I couldn't get out of the plane. No luck with Titanic or Timeline either. So I shelved the games figuring that those just weren't my kind of games. A few years passed and I found myself at Best Buy again looking at games. Somehow I ended up in the computer games. I found NiBiRu and Dark Fall Lights out in the bargain bin. They sounded interesting so I got them. I started NiBiRu first and loved it. By the time I finished Lights Out I was hooked. I've been playing every adventure game I can get my hands on since then.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Igor Hardy
Wanderer's Apprentice
Igor Hardy

PostSubject: Re: What was the first adventure game you played?   What was the first adventure game you played? EmptySat Feb 06, 2010 11:12 am

My first was Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis. Either in 1992 or in 1993. Great memories.
Back to top Go down
http://hardydev.com
Gunness
Wanderer's Apprentice
Gunness

PostSubject: Re: What was the first adventure game you played?   What was the first adventure game you played? EmptySun Feb 07, 2010 7:44 am

Well, as it seems that we're exclusively talking point'n'click titles, I'll have to adjust my initial answer and say Maniac Mansion instead Smile 1987. Wow, long time ago!
Back to top Go down
http://www.solutionarchive.com
winfrey
Daredevil Pioneer
winfrey

PostSubject: Re: What was the first adventure game you played?   What was the first adventure game you played? EmptySun Feb 07, 2010 4:20 pm

I won a Super Nintendo machine once-- with the game Zelda. But would you call that an Action game???? My brother had Myst on his computer and I played around with that and became interested, so I went out and found Myst.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/winfreysgames/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What was the first adventure game you played?   What was the first adventure game you played? Empty

Back to top Go down

What was the first adventure game you played?
Page 1 of 1