Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure games Point & Click and all things PC games

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

May Be Offensive

Go down 
+3
StarLite Moon
Draclvr
hatshepsut
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
hatshepsut
Adventurer Extraordinaire
hatshepsut

May Be Offensive - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: May Be Offensive   May Be Offensive - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 10:59 pm

That's a very interesting story mindysue. I would think if people tell you that you have a good sense of humor then you do.

About lol.....lots of love or laughing out loud. I had never thought of that I will forever be wondering now when I see lol just what the writer intended.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
StarLite Moon
Daredevil Pioneer
StarLite Moon

PostSubject: Re: May Be Offensive   May Be Offensive - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 4:54 am

Quote :
I couldn't afford a practising psychiatrist

Ok, I'm a little confused here, were you getting treatment and if so what for?
Back to top Go down
http://indieadventure.freeforums.org/
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: May Be Offensive   May Be Offensive - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 11:54 pm

Oookay, StarLite Moon,
Since you asked, this was around 1948, and I was working as a Long Distance operater for Pacific Bell in LA. I liked the job, but I was very depressed and at the point where it was hard for me to do anything, so I found myself skipping work (I can recall one day being on the bus to work and when it came to my stop, I wasn't able to get off, just kept on riding.) and when I found a small article in the newspaper about the clinic, I went there. Back then, depression wasn't as well known as now, and tranquilizers and such were still in the future. I had a hard time explaining my problems to them. I remember one doctor when I told him about not going to work, telling me there were days when everyone doesn't feel like working and that it was such a nice day he would have rather gone fishing, but he and everyone else still made it to work. Big help that joker was, as if I didn't know that. But I wasn't like everyone else, just having a bad day now and then, for me it was a whole lot deeper, way more than just the Monday blues. So I was ahead of science at that point, since I knew more about depression than they did. The clinic only had half hour sessions once a week, and I went for like 3 years or so, skipping some sessions and sometimes asking for special help when I really needed it. So, you see, I did my share at helping them and they did what they could at helping me!
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
Adventurer Extraordinaire
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: May Be Offensive   May Be Offensive - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 1:39 am

Very interesting story mindysue. It must have been a very difficult time for you. I hope it is better now.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
StarLite Moon
Daredevil Pioneer
StarLite Moon

PostSubject: Re: May Be Offensive   May Be Offensive - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 2:22 am

You have to be careful with those drugs mindysue. Back in the '70s I ended up taking two overdoses by accident on Valium. The stupid doctor told me take one and if it doesn't work take another till it starts working, next thing I knew I was in the hospital getting my stomach pumped, and I was at work at the time.

The police had to drive me home from the hospital because I was so out of it, and the policeman stood in my apartment and watched me while I flushed them down the toilet. So that's why I'm reluctant to taking anti-depressants. I have a bottle that my doctor just prescribed for me and I won't touch them. I just don't trust them. I don't even know why I filled the prescription, from what I've read about them, one of the side effects is they can make you want to commit suicide. I don't know what the success rate on that is and I'm not anxious to find out.

Well I hope you got some help and things are working out for you. Take care sunny
Back to top Go down
http://indieadventure.freeforums.org/
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: May Be Offensive   May Be Offensive - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 11:07 pm

Lucky for me, StarLite Moon, those drugs were not around back then and I have never been even tempted to take any in later years. I don't like pills, haven't even had so much as an aspirin in the past 15, 20 years, can't remember the last time I took one. But when I was going to the clinic, one doctor did prescribe Dexadrine for one month. It's an upper, and I had a room-mate who said when I ran out of them, she could get me as many as I wanted as she had a trucker boyfriend who used them all the time. As it turned out after about 3 weeks, I felt the pills weren't helping me any, so I gave the rest to her. Oh, the pills gave me a "high" and a lot of energy, but that didn't help me with my real problem, and covering it up was no solution that I was willing to settle for. Incidentally, suicide was also a solution I wasn't willing to settle for, maybe I'm too ornery to just give up. I also have a strong curiosity streak that makes me want to know WHY. Don't care about What, Where, When, or How at all. It's the Why people do what they do that gets me! I don't make judgement calls on their reasons as I feel all are valid to human beings. I'm curious, nothing more.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: May Be Offensive   May Be Offensive - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

May Be Offensive
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2