Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure games Point & Click and all things PC games

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?

Go down 
+13
Raj
mbday630
Lady Kestrel
AngDMC
lakerz
catbytes
Mystery Lover
mindysue
HandsFree
Bastos
hatshepsut
jkeerie
Gelert
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Gelert
Admin
Adventurer Extraordinaire
Gelert

Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? Empty
PostSubject: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 6:00 pm

I do. Sad You never did know if they'd have lots of extra goodies in them, or just a good old thick paper manual (env. friendly, or not!).

Here in the UK, if you can find a shop that sells PC games (Mac games - no chance!), most games arrive on shelves in DVD -type pastic cases/boxes. At least, over the pond you still seem to have selling in mini-boxes. Although, I know that sometimes thick plastic DVD -type boxes are packaged in an outer cardboard sleeve for effect. At least there's that.

What's the nicest box for a game you've ever owned? Stick up a piccy of your favourite, either from your own games or from a picture of it from the web.

Off the top of my head, for me, for pure box art look and feel, I've always liked the Heart Of China box, but Sanitarium was cool too.

What about box shapes? Got, or ever had, any odd ones? There's one I always wanted, but never had. That's the traingular Day of the Tentacle box. A bit awkward to display in a row on store shelves though. lol!
Back to top Go down
http://adventurepoint.co.uk
jkeerie
Daredevil Pioneer
jkeerie

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 6:08 pm

Unfortunately, I got rid of so many boxes to save on shelf space. I kept them for the longest time...then decided what if I just flatten them and store them that way. Finally I decided to just get rid of the big boxes altogether. I love the smaller boxes or the DVD cases.

My first big box game was Pandora's Box! I still recall the display at Media Play! I was so excited as I played the demo and loved it. My first game...sigh! Smile
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 6:31 pm

Threw them away!!!!! Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? 150187 How could you? Poor pretty boxes Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? 47445

Here's scan of the Heart of China front from some Spanish website. It's not easy to tell from this, but the leather coat is in bas relief and it made the box feel luverley. The back of the box looked terrific too. The box had lots of stuff in it too - map, naual, other stuff. You just can't have all that with DVD boxes. Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? 180990 Saying all that - you might have guessed - I still haven't played it yet. Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? 561311

Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? Ab727d80 Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? 113874eb
Back to top Go down
jkeerie
Daredevil Pioneer
jkeerie

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 6:41 pm

I guess some of us are just a bit more practical than nostalgic. Let me guess....you were the kid at Christmas that put the toy aside and played with the box! Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? 372369
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 6:55 pm

No. Not at all, I was a good boy. Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? 120908 Unfortunately for my darling wife, I'm the grown-up who does it even now. Unluckily for her, I didn't discover electronic games of any sort until I was well into my dotage Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? 54243 (as she calls it lol! ).

So much catching up to do playing games that everyone else has already. That's the advantage. Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? 43653
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 8:34 pm

My very first thought when I read jkeerie threw all her boxes away was where is that trash can Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? 330941 Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? 428568

I love big boxes Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? 104134 I miss seeing them in the game stores. Over the last couple of years I have gotten some games that I thought would have made fantastic big boxes. All the new games I've gotten lately have been the DVD cases. Most of them came with the cardboard sleeve.

I have 154 big boxes in my collection. I have Heart of China and Santitarium both they are very nice boxes.
I have Tomb Raider III in a big box that is pyramid shaped with the point cut off.

My very first big box was Necronimicon and is my favorite

Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? 1066951513-00

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 8:57 pm

Ah-haa! A Pharaoh after my own heart.

Are you nearer to Jkeerie's local landfill or am I?

Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? 380637
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 9:50 pm

hmmm I'm not sure, I think I'm about 1,500 to 2,000 miles from that local landfill. Are you closer than that ? Laughing

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 10:02 pm

Ssssh! I was already hiding in it after the hangman incident.

Don't tell JK. Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? 64815
Back to top Go down
Bastos
Wanderer's Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 10:20 pm

I really miss those big boxes from the past... I can remeber them from my younger years, and they gave the game an even more unique feeling or atmosphere.... One of my favourites is the box of Darkseed.... a black box, with a smaller box sticking out, in which the disks were....

Bought it years ago, but i think i still have it somewhere.... As I have been collecting pc games for many years, my attic is full of old pc boxes. One of these days, I will get my camera, and make some pictures of the more rarer boxes...

L8r!
Back to top Go down
http://www.hyperiondreams.be
HandsFree
Swashbuckling Globetrotter
HandsFree

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 10:43 pm

I prefer the DVD style cases. Much easier to store and big enough to allow for some box art and a manual. Threw away most of those old boxes. My wife is using the smoking mirror box now for her sewing paraphernalia, I think.
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 10:53 pm

Mr HandsFree! George Stobbart and SEWING! What will we hear next? Indiana Jones and flower arranging perhaps! affraid

Restore that Smoking Mirror box back to respectability at once! Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? 907888

Bastos,

Have you got any cool shaped boxes, like the Day Of The Tentacle one I mentioned? I think my favourite 'odd on' that I have is the Sins of the Fathers Z-shaped. The Hell Cab box is cool too.
Back to top Go down
Bastos
Wanderer's Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 10:57 pm

I don't have the tentacle box....An odd box shape also was Astronomica... If i have time next week, i'll add some pictures to this topic...

L8r!
Back to top Go down
http://www.hyperiondreams.be
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 11:17 pm

Thank you Bastos that would be very nice. I love looking at the old big boxes.

So that's where George has been all this time, tangled up with sewing equipment Shocked

Gelert that Sins of the Fathers sounds interestingly odd. How about a picture of it ?

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 5:36 am

Thanks for showing the Heart of China box and taking me back to when I played that game. I don't remember the box, but I can recall how much I liked playing the game. One of those games that I was sorry when it came to the end, I so wanted to keep on playing it. One of those good old games from way back.
Back to top Go down
Mystery Lover
Daredevil Pioneer
Mystery Lover

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 1:32 pm

Okay, Nobody throw tomatoes at me here but...
Who cares about the box/package a game comes in?? I must admit, I never even gave it a thought!! LOL!! I was after the game, not the box! I'm confused about this box love! LOL! scratch
What am I missing here?
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 2:32 pm

Mystery Lover the big boxes are beautiful works of art. Some are very uinique. And some are very hard to find. My favorite ones are the embossed boxes, I love the feel and look of them.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Mystery Lover
Daredevil Pioneer
Mystery Lover

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 2:59 pm

Okay, don't laugh at me, but what does embossed mean? Embarassed
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 4:30 pm

Mystery Lover embossed means the design and or lettering on the surface of the box is raised and you can see and feel it. It makes a beautiful box even more beautiful.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Mystery Lover
Daredevil Pioneer
Mystery Lover

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 4:31 pm

Ohhh... It's like textured. Thanks Hatshepsut! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 4:44 pm

Yes and you are welcome Smile

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Mystery Lover
Daredevil Pioneer
Mystery Lover

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 4:51 pm

I just noticed that my Moment Of Silence Box is slightly textured! sunny
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 4:57 pm

Yes. It's a nice box too. Smile

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Mystery Lover
Daredevil Pioneer
Mystery Lover

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 11:24 pm

LOL!! You are to funny! You can have mine, if you want it!
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 2:18 am

We were stuck with Moment Of Silence in a DVD case/box over here. Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? Empty

Back to top Go down

Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next