Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure games Point & Click and all things PC games

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?

Go down 
+13
Raj
mbday630
Lady Kestrel
AngDMC
lakerz
catbytes
Mystery Lover
mindysue
HandsFree
Bastos
hatshepsut
jkeerie
Gelert
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
catbytes
Wanderer's Apprentice

Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 3:14 am

Hi All...I am with the majority...I care about the game not the boxes...but the fact is...when you hang on the boxes for awhile they become valuable...I don't know why...but they do...to sell a game in near perfect condition can snag you 100.00 or more!...I had the entire Infocom collection...(the oldies know) but for the younger crowd it was text games from the 70's....and sooo much fun...the boxes were book type and when you opened them there was a plastic lid which when removed revealed the 5 1/4 diskette and get this...goodies...like zorkmids...baloons...ticketes...coasters...swizzle sticks...pocket fluff...3d glasses...and soo sooo sooo much more...these games were sooo much fun...and to have one of these game in tack could net you a hefty pocket of change...now it is the Lucus Arts game...Sierra On Line games...and many amny good old adventures...I kept all my game in tact with their boxes and contents...I considered every game a true treasure...I so miss the boxes and the goodies they held...now we get a dvd case with nothing...bummer!
catbytes
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Adventurer Extraordinaire
Gelert

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 11:18 pm

Hi hatshepsut,

Here's the odd-box shape Sins of the Fathers box.
(I'll leave the pic up for a day or two).

Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 5a997893
Back to top Go down
http://adventurepoint.co.uk
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 12:06 am

Wow Gelert that is a cool box. Was that a special edition box or a UK release or first release ?

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 12:11 am

Hi Hatshepsut,

All it says on it in terms of edition that I can see is 'Multimedia CD Edition'. I didn't buy it new off the shelf, so I'm not sure if it was UK-only.

It opens by pulling upwards on the blue half of the box, leaving the 'triangle' bottom part containing the CD-ROM and manual.
Back to top Go down
Mystery Lover
Daredevil Pioneer
Mystery Lover

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 5:37 pm

Okay, I admit, that IS a cool box! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 6:09 pm

Mystery Lover wrote:
Okay, I admit, that IS a cool box! Very Happy

He-he! ML . . you're approaching the Dark Side of box appreciation. lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
lakerz
Daredevil Pioneer
lakerz

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 11:37 pm

I LOVE the classic games with the big boxes. Having said that, I can understand why the industry moved into putting games into smaller packages. Eventually, the packages will go away, and it will all be digitally distributed. I think this will be the case for both PC games and console games.

Others have mentioned the most cool big box adventure titles like Gabriel Knight, Astronomica, Dark Seed 1 & 2, and Cosmology of Kyoto. Albion had a pretty cool box as well. I'm trying to think of the one RPG that had that cool holographic box but just can't remember! Daggerfall is one but there was another one, I think it released in the mid 90's.
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 13, 2010 11:41 pm

lakerz wrote:
I'm trying to think of the one RPG that had that cool holographic box but just can't remember! Daggerfall is one but there was another one, I think it released in the mid 90's.

Could it be Stonekeep? Cough! Cough! Smile
Back to top Go down
lakerz
Daredevil Pioneer
lakerz

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 12:19 am

Yes, Stonekeep...thanks Gelert!

It's been ages since I played it, but I still have fond memories of it. I remember the later levels becoming a bit frustrating in puzzle difficulty, but overall a good game. Cool
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 3:03 am

Was the Stonekeep box a black octagon shaped box ?

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 3:10 am

It's a normal rectangular box, except that the top of it (it stands vertically in a base), is peaked. It fits into a base that's curved at the front and flat at the back.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 3:15 am

Oh then it's another game that I'm thinking of. I don't think I've seen that Stonekeep box but it sounds unique.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
AngDMC
Daredevil Pioneer
AngDMC

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 4:54 am

I love love love the bigger retail boxes. The artwork is striking. Gelert...I try to get a hold of both versions of some games. USA and UK. I also collect same game different artwork boxed games. There are so many unique ones out there. To a collector.....a game is not just a game. There is so much more to it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 10:53 pm

Ang . . . . That's great to hear. That you have that collecting passion that so few seem to have these days. It's really sad to hear that so many of the collectors I used to know have sold off their collections for various reasons. People get the wrong impression sometimes. That you either play Adventure games or you collect them, and that there's no overlap. I don't know of a single collector that I've ever known that doesn't love playing Adventure games as much as, if not more than, anyone who buys, plays and sells, or gives away. It's just that us collectors have the Adventure gaming bug reeeeally bad ......................................... Hook, Sierra-Online and Sinkha! Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 802342
Back to top Go down
AngDMC
Daredevil Pioneer
AngDMC

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 11:26 pm

Gelert..I don't think I have ever felt like I wanted to do away with my collection all together. Here is a photo of some. I have added 8 or 9 bins since this picture was taken. Smile

Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 CIMG0690-400x250
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 11:36 pm

Gulp! That's boootiful! Swooooon! Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 794345

If I get myself sorted, I'll put up a few pictures of mine, but they're all in cardboard packing boxes at the moment.

That is one very impressive room Ang. How long ago did you start collecting?
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 12:51 am

Beautiful Ang just beautiful. I am just Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 620270 I had some new arrivals so I'm up to 190 big boxes now. Some of mine are duplicates because if I obtain a sealed box I get an opened box too so I can play the game. I like to get the different releases with different art work also.

You are so right Gelert about box collectors loving thier boxes and thier games. I love my boxes and I love my games.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
AngDMC
Daredevil Pioneer
AngDMC

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 12:55 pm

I started lightly collecting in the early 90's. Then it got more interesting as time went on. If I couldn't find a boxed version I would settle for just the game. When I find the boxed version I normaly will sell the cd version after I play it. I am the same way about sealed games. I have to have 2..1 to play and one to collect. This would be great fun.. I would love to invite you all over and have a game playing party some day.
Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 843459
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 1:09 pm

Hi Ang.

I've collected since around 2001. I had my first PC in 2000. As far as I got, I've done the same as you. As it's always been easier to get versions without boxes, I got those, as the majority first, and then sold them on when I got hold of boxed versions. There are still some boxed versions that eluded me though, and my big spending days are behind me. As for sealed versus unsealed, I've never actively sought sealed ones because I always intended playing the game I'd buy. But, where I 've found a sealed game, I've sometimes sold the unselaed one, but sometimes sold the sealed one, depending on how much I'm hoping to get at the time. So, no, I don't have many games that are both sealed and unsealed. It's either one or the other. Also, I've only got more than one version of a few games . . more by accident than anything .................. I have been known to buy a game, full of excitement, only to discover later that I already had the bloomin' thing! lol!

Gelert.
Back to top Go down
Bastos
Wanderer's Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 9:48 pm

Here are already some quick photo's from 2 boxes that were nearby.... If I have some more time this week, I'll climb to my attic, and make some more pictures of intresting boxes.... I should have about 200-300 laying there... could be more, could be less.

First ones are from Creature Crunch

Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 CC-front Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 CC-back Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 CC-side

Next ones are from Double Agent

Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 DA-front Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 DA-back Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 DA-side
Back to top Go down
http://www.hyperiondreams.be
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 9:54 pm

Those are lovely game boxes Basto. 200 - 300 game boxes is a nice collection of games too.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Lady Kestrel
Daredevil Pioneer
Lady Kestrel

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 12:21 am

I like boxes, too, although I usually flatten mine and put them in my game files. I especially like this one with the separate center insert. It's very creepy.

Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 DarkSeed
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 12:29 am

Lady Kestrel that is a beautiful box creepy but beautiful. Smile

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Lady Kestrel
Daredevil Pioneer
Lady Kestrel

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 3:01 am

That's Giger's biomechanoid art. He did the spaceship with the giant pilot in the movie Alien, too.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 4:21 am

That spaceship in Aliens was fantastic. A little creepy and scary too.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?   Who misses big boxes? Any favourites? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Who misses big boxes? Any favourites?
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next