Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure games Point & Click and all things PC games

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What Game Are You Playing Now

Go down 
+27
zobraks
SweetDalilah
Mullane
bonsai
AlienBZ
mbday630
SuperEdy
Andromus
Igor Hardy
Ugur
Suvek
Camaro
lakerz
Faust
mindysue
diatribal deity
Magoozelle
jkeerie
HandsFree
Mystery Lover
Jen
AngDMC
Lady Kestrel
winfrey
GreyFuss
Gelert
hatshepsut
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 28 ... 34  Next
AuthorMessage
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

What Game Are You Playing Now - Page 22 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Game Are You Playing Now   What Game Are You Playing Now - Page 22 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 8:26 pm

mindysue wrote:
Hi Faust,
Oh yes, it is perfectly okay for GreyFuss or other gamers to feel that Casual games are "mind numbing" but that's not the point. The point is that the games themselves are not mind numbing to those who want to play them. It's the use of "mind numbing" as an adjective to describe the games that I don't agree with. I find RPGs and FPSs to be totally mind numbing, but I don't refer to them as "mind numbing games" since I realize that is not the case for everyone.
People tend to read adjectives describing a game as facts about the game, and fail to see it as simply an opinion of the writer. Someone might not want to admit liking casual games because they don't want others to think their minds are *numb* or whatever. So, in my own way, I'm trying to stick up for us Casual gamers who need a partial fix while waiting for the games we really want!

I can see where you're coming from ! I've tried to play casual games , & they just bore me to death ! On the other hand , my wife & daughter love 'em ! They play the daylights out of the Diner Dash games ! To be honest , I hardly ever pay attention to a "professional" review of a game , especially when it applies to adventure games . I would much rather hear what people who have played the game think , by that , I mean the actual gamer , not a critic . I've played rpg's for ages ! Nearly all I've played , tell a very good story , & the graphics aren't so bad either ! As for fps games , sometimes , it's fun just to blow stuff up ! The only real caveat for rpg & fps games , is some take more muscle to run properly .
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: What Game Are You Playing Now   What Game Are You Playing Now - Page 22 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 9:42 pm

There are Casual Games that I like and then there are Casual Games that I have never even been interested in trying to play. I don't play any of the Dash games because they are arcade types, kind of like FPS games which I feel also qualify as arcade-type games. It's the format I don't care to play. I do like the graphics of the Diner Dash games though. I play the Hidden Object Games, and I do find that hunting for the same stuff in almost every game gets somewhat mind numbing, but no game is perfect. The stories aren't much to brag about either for that matter (gee, pretty soon I will sound like GreyFuss) but there is exploring and puzzles that sometimes are very good. And after all, these games are my second choice, more or less by default when I can't find something I like better.
I only read reviews to get a sense of the game play and atmosphere, not to see the score the reviewer gives the game. No reviewer can know what I like (Hmm, even I have a hard time knowing that sometimes.) so I usually go by screenshots of a game which tell me more. How other gamers like a game also helps me to choose. I wasn't too keen on Alter Ego (although I had already bought the game) until I read tsampikos review of it, so that motivated me to play it and I am enjoying it so far. Which reminds me...I am stuck at this point and need to check out my S.O.S.
Back to top Go down
AlienBZ
Daredevil Pioneer
AlienBZ

PostSubject: Re: What Game Are You Playing Now   What Game Are You Playing Now - Page 22 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 11:50 pm

mindysue wrote:
There are Casual Games that I like and then there are Casual Games that I have never even been interested in trying to play. I don't play any of the Dash games because they are arcade types, kind of like FPS games which I feel also qualify as arcade-type games. It's the format I don't care to play. I do like the graphics of the Diner Dash games though. I play the Hidden Object Games, and I do find that hunting for the same stuff in almost every game gets somewhat mind numbing, but no game is perfect. The stories aren't much to brag about either for that matter (gee, pretty soon I will sound like GreyFuss) but there is exploring and puzzles that sometimes are very good. And after all, these games are my second choice, more or less by default when I can't find something I like better.
I only read reviews to get a sense of the game play and atmosphere, not to see the score the reviewer gives the game. No reviewer can know what I like (Hmm, even I have a hard time knowing that sometimes.) so I usually go by screenshots of a game which tell me more. How other gamers like a game also helps me to choose. I wasn't too keen on Alter Ego (although I had already bought the game) until I read tsampikos review of it, so that motivated me to play it and I am enjoying it so far. Which reminds me...I am stuck at this point and need to check out my S.O.S.

I don't like to play casual games. For me, in 1995 when my favorite uncle died, I kept thinking about all the fun these people on the National Geographic Explorer TV programs have when they go all over the world, talk to people in diffrent places, visit relics and other places, and collect objects, artifacts, etc. and they do it to try to find answers to whatever mystery that the National Geographic Society sends them on, it's called "on assignment" that these people go on, and it was around this time in my life that I was introduced to adventure games such as 7th Guest, 11th Hour, and so I played these part way, (now I'm getting excited, anxious to play one of the AG's on either my Acer or the M1530 tonight!) but lacking a w/t at the time, I quickly got bored with the game as I kept going in circles, not having a clue of where to go/what to do in order to continue, so I'd keep going to the local mall where I'd haunt the Babbage's or the Electronics Boutique stores to look at all the eye-catching boxes of games that were on display, and if I had enough money on me, I'd buy a game. But most of the time I didn't have enough money on me, so I just looked at the game boxes, took them off the shelf, read their descriptions on front/back/sides of the boxes, and dreamed of what this of that National Geographic or rather in my case, what Galaxtical Planetary Explorer assignment this or that game was.
Back to top Go down
mbday630
Opportunist Explorer

PostSubject: Re: What Game Are You Playing Now   What Game Are You Playing Now - Page 22 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 12:45 am

How cool is that! I guess that is why I play adventure games too... I envision myself as Sherlock HOlmes... getting clues, and as you said, "thinking about all the fun these people on the National Geographic Explorer TV programs have when they go all over the world, talk to people in diffrent places, visit relics and other places, and collect objects, artifacts, etc. and they do it to try to find answers to whatever mystery that the National Geographic Society sends them on..."

Trying to find the hidden object in a pile of leaves or the spider web in the corner hidden amonst leaves in a corner that is the same color isn't my idea of fun. but, each to their own. I just love adventure games. the thrill of "discovery"... isn't that what National Geographic says" or... ummm someone says it.
Back to top Go down
AlienBZ
Daredevil Pioneer
AlienBZ

PostSubject: Re: What Game Are You Playing Now   What Game Are You Playing Now - Page 22 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 2:54 am

mbday630 wrote:
I just love adventure games. the thrill of "discovery"... isn't that what National Geographic says" or... ummm someone says it.

Yes, Mbday, these National Geographic assignment people do, I'm sure, say/think this, only they do it off-camera b/c they want to maintain their professionalism on-camera. I figured this out from something one of my schoolbooks says about maintaining professionalism while on the job as a computer tech.
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: What Game Are You Playing Now   What Game Are You Playing Now - Page 22 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 3:47 am

AlienBZ wrote:
mbday630 wrote:
I just love adventure games. the thrill of "discovery"... isn't that what National Geographic says" or... ummm someone says it.

Yes, Mbday, these National Geographic assignment people do, I'm sure, say/think this, only they do it off-camera b/c they want to maintain their professionalism on-camera. I figured this out from something one of my schoolbooks says about maintaining professionalism while on the job as a computer tech.

It's odd . Every book I've read on being a computer tech (I've read several , including various other publications) , fails to draw similarities between professionalism being a computer tech , & National Geographic . Come to think of it , none of the computer tech books I've read never mention National Geographic , although ,they do mention being a professional . One of the very first topics covered actually .
Back to top Go down
AlienBZ
Daredevil Pioneer
AlienBZ

PostSubject: Re: What Game Are You Playing Now   What Game Are You Playing Now - Page 22 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 6:40 pm

Faust wrote:
AlienBZ wrote:
mbday630 wrote:

It's odd . Every book I've read on being a computer tech (I've read several , including various other publications) , fails to draw similarities between professionalism being a computer tech , & National Geographic . Come to think of it , none of the computer tech books I've read never mention National Geographic , although ,they do mention being a professional . One of the very first topics covered actually .

I never said that my schoolbooks draws similarities between professionalism as a computer tech and National Geographic, National Geographic was never mentioned in my schoolbooks - I drew that conclusion by thinking independantly, in my head, based on what my schoolbook says about maintaining professionalism while on the job as a computer tech.
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: What Game Are You Playing Now   What Game Are You Playing Now - Page 22 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 6:57 pm

You made the comparison between the two yourself (with Nat Geo acting as a catalyst) , & you choose to deny it ? Shocked I've better things to do than argue !

Back on topic . I've adventured in to Dead Mountaineers Hotel just a bit more . Even with a walkthrough , I'm finding it interesting . Hopefully , that interest will not wane by game's end . I'm also taking a trip to the dark side , with Hunted : The Demon's Forge .
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: What Game Are You Playing Now   What Game Are You Playing Now - Page 22 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 8:53 pm

The way I'm reading this thread AlienBZ said he "figured this out" so I gather from that there was nothing actually in the books. To me that means he made the comparison himself, not that he read it anywhere. I also don't read it that AlienBZ is denying this, but rather trying to explain it.
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: What Game Are You Playing Now   What Game Are You Playing Now - Page 22 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 9:00 pm

mindysue wrote:
The way I'm reading this thread AlienBZ said he "figured this out" so I gather from that there was nothing actually in the books. To me that means he made the comparison himself, not that he read it anywhere. I also don't read it that AlienBZ is denying this, but rather trying to explain it.

Perhaps mindysue , but in any event , it's a moot point now . It would be nice to get back on topic with this thread , & save this particular debate for a different section of the Point , or carried out via pm .
Back to top Go down
mindysue
Daredevil Pioneer

PostSubject: Re: What Game Are You Playing Now   What Game Are You Playing Now - Page 22 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 9:24 pm

I totally agree here, Faust, but I'm incapable of stopping myself whenever anything even slightly resembles a debate. I just have to jump in with both feet in my mouth! Can I blame this on the human genome, which according to the scientists, is about 95% the same as that of a chimpanzee? Not a monkey though, which has a tail so I gather it hasn't evolved as far.
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: What Game Are You Playing Now   What Game Are You Playing Now - Page 22 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 10:25 pm

mindysue wrote:
I totally agree here, Faust, but I'm incapable of stopping myself whenever anything even slightly resembles a debate. I just have to jump in with both feet in my mouth! Can I blame this on the human genome, which according to the scientists, is about 95% the same as that of a chimpanzee? Not a monkey though, which has a tail so I gather it hasn't evolved as far.

Debate all you want mindysue , I don't mind at all ! Monkeys are incredibly smart actually , & incredibly strong . It's been speculate that humans & apes are very close . Now , back to games !! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
AlienBZ
Daredevil Pioneer
AlienBZ

PostSubject: Re: What Game Are You Playing Now   What Game Are You Playing Now - Page 22 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 2:04 am

mindysue wrote:

Mindysue is saying it correctly, people. I made the comparision between professionalism in computer tech and NG Expolrer myself. Ok - back on topic.

I was playing for the past couple of wks, and have just finished - the free Penumbra game. Wrew! it was getting me out of breath hurrying away from those monsters, but I did it with Our Creator's power, that is!
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
Adventurer Extraordinaire
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: What Game Are You Playing Now   What Game Are You Playing Now - Page 22 EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 3:09 am

Currently playing Night and Day made by HandsFree. It is a delightful game. Has a lot of good humor and good puzzles. I am really enjoying this game.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
tsampikos
Swashbuckling Globetrotter
tsampikos

PostSubject: Re: What Game Are You Playing Now   What Game Are You Playing Now - Page 22 EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 7:48 am

I am currently playing Zork Grand Inquisitor. I think it's one of the best 1st person adventure games available. And it's "alive"> There is not that "lonelyness" which is mostly met in 1st person adventures.
Back to top Go down
Lady Kestrel
Daredevil Pioneer
Lady Kestrel

PostSubject: Re: What Game Are You Playing Now   What Game Are You Playing Now - Page 22 EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 1:55 am

Congratulations on your game, HandsFree! I won't be able to play it on my Mac, but it does sound like fun.

Tsampikos,
I love ZGI! I found myself saving my game often just so I could do the things I wasn't supposed to do. Have fun!
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: What Game Are You Playing Now   What Game Are You Playing Now - Page 22 EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 2:53 am

It's to bad you won't be able to play Night and Day Lady K. It really is a very good little game

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
lakerz
Daredevil Pioneer
lakerz

PostSubject: Re: What Game Are You Playing Now   What Game Are You Playing Now - Page 22 EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 3:03 am

Congrats HandsFree! Now that you have free time on your hands (pun intended), you can continue work on the Black Sect remake! cheers

I had many a chuckle playing through the classic Reality on the Norm games. This one looks good!
Back to top Go down
HandsFree
HandsFree

PostSubject: Re: What Game Are You Playing Now   What Game Are You Playing Now - Page 22 EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 3:23 am

Glad you like the game so far Hatshepsut. Smile
@lakerz: you were the only one that responded when I posted about it on the AGS forum, so I concluded there isn't much interest in it.
But on the other hand, I can't make art so I'm very limited in what I can do with AGS and such a remake is something that is doable... Hmm.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: What Game Are You Playing Now   What Game Are You Playing Now - Page 22 EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 3:36 am

I really like games like Night and Day. I have gotten a bit further since I posted about playing it.

I didn't see the post at AGS about Black Sect but I would play it if there was a remake. Smile

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
lakerz
Daredevil Pioneer
lakerz

PostSubject: Re: What Game Are You Playing Now   What Game Are You Playing Now - Page 22 EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 7:59 am

HandsFree, I tried to respond to your response on the Black Sect thread, but I guess AGS forums were acting up for a spell and I gave up trying to post. Maybe that is why the post didn't get many responses was due to the AGS forum issues?

Of course, I'd advise you to focus on whatever project that interests you the most. A Black Sect remake sounds nice to me, but I will enjoy playing Night and Day also. I appreciate all developers for the time and energy they put into their projects.
Back to top Go down
HandsFree
HandsFree

PostSubject: Re: What Game Are You Playing Now   What Game Are You Playing Now - Page 22 EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 12:14 pm

The AGS forum has been a bit unstable, that's true. And like I said elsewhere my options are rather limited, not being able to create art (a remake would use the original backgrounds) so, yes, I'm looking at this possibility again.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: What Game Are You Playing Now   What Game Are You Playing Now - Page 22 EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 5:35 pm

Finished playing Night and Day. Very fun game. I enjoyed playing it very much. Smile

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
Faust
Daredevil Pioneer
Faust

PostSubject: Re: What Game Are You Playing Now   What Game Are You Playing Now - Page 22 EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 7:25 pm

Decided to play The Witcher & The Witcher 2 back to back . Should be fun !
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

PostSubject: Re: What Game Are You Playing Now   What Game Are You Playing Now - Page 22 EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 8:18 pm

Finished Thw Whispered World. Playing Tomb Raider : Underwear lol!
Back to top Go down
http://adventurepoint.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Game Are You Playing Now   What Game Are You Playing Now - Page 22 Empty

Back to top Go down

What Game Are You Playing Now
Page 22 of 34Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 28 ... 34  Next