Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Apologies for any confusion caused by the change over to the new forums, but you'll need to re-register to become members of the new forums. I hope you'll think it's worth it though.
Adventure Point Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adventure games Point & Click and all things PC games

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Post Your 2009 List of Played Games

Go down 
+2
hatshepsut
GreyFuss
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
hatshepsut
Adventurer Extraordinaire
hatshepsut

Post Your 2009 List of Played Games - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post Your 2009 List of Played Games   Post Your 2009 List of Played Games - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 3:27 am

HandsFree you have a very nice list of games played there. I see some games on it that I enjoyed very much.

idrisguitar hi and welcome. You have some very good games picked out to play and enjoy. You definitly have the game fever just like everyone else around here, so welcome to the club. For me personally when I first started playing games I relied quite a bit on walkthroughs. After playing a few games I got enough confidence to play on my own. Just remember to save often so if you need to go back to a previous save you won't have far to go back and you might want to try UHS instead of a walk through that way if you really need a hint you only see what you really need. Also if you get stuck you can always ask for some help here in the Adveture game SOS forum. You have many good adventure to look forward to and enjoy. I think you will do great and I'm looking forward to your next years games played list.
Save and UHS statement reworded to make meaning more clear.

hatshepsut farao

Last edited by hatshepsut on Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GreyFuss
GreyFuss

PostSubject: Re: Post Your 2009 List of Played Games   Post Your 2009 List of Played Games - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 3:28 am

Idrisguitar

When I started to get the fever there was no such thing as walkthroughs or forums like you see today. Heck when I started the Internet itself was in its infancy. So I learned patience. It would take days to get through some puzzles and weeks to finish a game. The game would be on my mind always. I would take notes to work and study them and couldn't wait to get home to try something new. But oh how is was rewarding when you finally figured out what was needed to finish a puzzle.

My only advice to you is not to be in such a hurry to finish a game or even a puzzle for that matter. Slow down, take your time. Enjoy what you are doing. It may take you weeks to complete a game but you will have such a good feeling when you do finally complete it and for many games you will miss the challenge when its over.
Back to top Go down
idrisguitar
Wanderer's Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Post Your 2009 List of Played Games   Post Your 2009 List of Played Games - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 3:35 am

Thanks guys. Its reassured me to know that in the beginning you are supposed to struggle a little bit, i wasn't sure whether i just didn't have the right brain for these types of games Smile

I will try to take your advice . As i know it will increase my enjoyment so much more.

Might try that note taking idea too.
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Post Your 2009 List of Played Games   Post Your 2009 List of Played Games - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 3:50 am

idrisguitar

I really support what GreyFuss says. Take your game playing slow and enjoy the game. And like GreyFuss says there is nothing in this world like the feeling you get when you have solved that difficult puzzle by yourself, you just want to shout for joy. And when you have stared at the screen for days trying to figure out what to do next and you have that aha moment, well it's just a wonderful feeling. Just use logic playing your games and when logic doesn't work use ilogic. GreyFuss has some very good advise. Yes I would really recommend note taking. The more notes the better.

hatshepsut
Back to top Go down
winfrey
Daredevil Pioneer
winfrey

PostSubject: Re: Post Your 2009 List of Played Games   Post Your 2009 List of Played Games - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 5:25 am

Hi, idrisguitar,
You're in for a fun time. I started not to long ago and like you I thought- wow this is hard and yes with time it will get easier-it helps you to learn how to think outside the box. You're starting with some great games. One of my first games was Syberia --Welcome hope to see you here often. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/winfreysgames/
idrisguitar
Wanderer's Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Post Your 2009 List of Played Games   Post Your 2009 List of Played Games - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 11:03 am

syberia I+II, is on my list too Smile (to be honest my list is so long i think mosyt games that will be mentioned here will be on it)

and yes, you guys have me decided, i am going to take it VERY slow and take as much notes as possible. and i simply will NOT look at a walkthrough until the game has me stuck for a minimum of four days Wink

cause it really does destroy the point of the fun in these types of games.

thanks guys,
Back to top Go down
HandsFree
Swashbuckling Globetrotter
HandsFree

PostSubject: Re: Post Your 2009 List of Played Games   Post Your 2009 List of Played Games - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 11:18 am

Hi, idrisguitar. Ditto all of the above. But to be fair I have to say that, unlike Hatshepsut, I don't have the stamina to watch the screen for days. Well maybe if the game is extremely interesting. Actually that goat in BS1 held me up for two days.
But I need a hint at some point with most games. In those cases I try to realize what the problem turned out to be (missed a hotspot, or sometimes I even missed a complete location), so I don't make that mistake again.

When I started playing AG's I didn't have an internet connection, and for instance Gabriel Knight 1 just got stuck. I started that game over again numerous times and I couldn't get past day one. Only when I found a hintfile 2 years later, I could proceed.

Also, gamemakers sometimes are really trying hard to outsmart you. Especially in older games. In general the newer games are much easier, so you may want to try some of those too before you're done with all the classics. Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper is the easiest game I ever played (a position held for years by Syberia, that I didn't like by the way), but still a wonderful game.

There isn't a specific AG way of thinking. Playing Myst type games you will use straight logic all the time, and as you have noticed that gets you nowhere in Monkey Island.
Oh, it helps if you know how to solve a slider puzzle though. lol!
Back to top Go down
idrisguitar
Wanderer's Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Post Your 2009 List of Played Games   Post Your 2009 List of Played Games - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 12:56 pm

Smile

thanks for the advice.

i will follow both yours' and greyfuss'. i will simply give a time limit of trying on my own before i figure it out.

that or by the time i am starting to give up on the game....whichever comes first :p

but to sum up, i really just need to develop some self-restraint and patience, and then i know my enjoyment will multiply by 100 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gelert
Admin
Gelert

PostSubject: Re: Post Your 2009 List of Played Games   Post Your 2009 List of Played Games - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 2:03 pm

Hi Idrisguitar.

I don't want to repeat all the good advice that you've been given, lest to say that you've hit the nail on the head. The satisfaction you'll get from solving a puzzle on your own, simply finding a way out of a situation, or discovering an elusive item, will give you an incredibly exhilirating feeling. That forehead slapping moment .. that sense of achievement .. is what makes playing Adventure games so very special.

I have rarely used walkthroughs, or hint systems, and the reason is that, in around 80 to 90% of the occasions in which I have done so, I've really, really regretted it when I've discovered what the 'answer' was. More often than not it's something very obvious that I've simply overlooked, or that just required me to put down the game, examine any notes I've made, retrace my steps, or even walk away for a few hours (even DAYS if it's a puzzle that needs 'a good working out'), and to come back to it, frequently coming at it from a completely fresh perspective. The satisfaction of having taken my time - even when I've thought I'm at a complete impasse - is amazing!

One good tip is this. There are some games out there which were not as cleverly, or carefully, designed as others. What I mean is that some game puzzles, conundrums or problems (and I don't mean the wonderfully insane Monkey Island type 'illogical' problems that require a daft solution), are so badly conceived that it could be a month of Sundays before you stumble upon a 'less than satisfying' solution. There are also some out there that appear to resolvable, but aren't due to a bug, or poor game design. What I do is have a quick scan of the forums, and on Google, with a search term such as ...... "Armed and Delirious" +bugs ..... or ......... "Jack Orlando" +"dead ends". On occasion this brings up a time saving cotribution from a kind forum contributor or competent reviewer. Sometimes a game can be reknown for such 'issues' (thankfully, rarely), and, sometimes, it's just one irritating annoyance in an otherwise wonderful Adventure game. Asking here, or on other forums (that's what the S.O.S. section is for .... ), can help a lot too. Not giving anything away, mark your post as 'Spoilers Contained Within', or similar. Just asking something like "Are there any particularly difficult puzzles, or any 'bugs', in such and such a game?" can get you started and, sometimes, yield instant results.

As I say, thankfully, most games have no such problems, so don't assume that when you're stuck it's a gameplay 'bug'. In all what I'd call 'good' Adventures you're meant to think, you're meant to exercise those brain cells, and you're meant to reach that forehead slapping 'Ah! Yes! Of course!' moment of immense satisfaction ......... and relief ('Time for a lie down ....... or a whisky!' 👅 ) You'll even find yourself telling your family about it! Laughable, I know, but I do! That's what makes Adventure games worthwhile, and what distinguishes them from the rest. Of course, other than my children, they think I'm either a complete geek :albino: , or utterly insane! geek Do I care! Mwah! ❤ Like heck!

Finally, and I hope the Adventure gaming odyssey you're embarking on is as wonderful for you as mine has been for me, a good few people here will know what I'm talking about when I mention what was my debut encounter with what I'd call my first "oh my God! This is impossible! What the heck do I do now?" loooooo -ong moment in an Adventure game ...................

............. One that took up, for me, days and days of patience, hair pulling, head banging and near alcohol/frustration-induced comatosed stupor! Four SIMPLE words

............. white goat - Ireland - Broken Sword .............. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

But, dare I say, it was all worth it in the end. Wink

If you have a moment, have a read of this little introduction on the database part of the website if you want to see my take on what makes an Adventure game an Adventure game;

What IS an Adventure game?

Have fun Idrisguitar .......... and WELCOME to the forums of Adventure Point!

Gelert flower

Last edited by Gelert on Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://adventurepoint.co.uk
idrisguitar
Wanderer's Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Post Your 2009 List of Played Games   Post Your 2009 List of Played Games - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 2:18 pm

thanks gelert

you great post has set in stone the fact that i will not use a walkthrough, not until the very last resort (as in the moment before i uninstall the game Wink)

still have half of BS1 and half of SOMI to go, and im sure completing both without any help will allow me to not only be satisfied with myself and the games, but will probably put both games into my top ten of all time as i am loving them no matter my earlier frustrations.

and yeah i can imagine the goat must have been horrible. Smile
Back to top Go down
hatshepsut
hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: Post Your 2009 List of Played Games   Post Your 2009 List of Played Games - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 6:12 pm

Nicely put Gelert.

I have never quite looked at a goat in the same way since playing Broken Sword 1.

Now come on the rest of you little adventure players post those games played lists. We are curious to pour over your list to see what great games you played. No matter how large or small we want to ohhh and ahhh over your list.

hatshepsut farao
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Post Your 2009 List of Played Games   Post Your 2009 List of Played Games - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Post Your 2009 List of Played Games
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2